• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:35 AM

i think i figured out why my alignment has been way off. I think i should have the daylight savings off at this time, but not entirely sure. I currently live in Knoxville, TN, which is eastern time zone and does observe daylight savings. I have been enabling daylight savings at all times because it is an area that observes daylight savings, but i am pretty sure it should only be enabled for certain months of the year. Can someone enlighten me about this issue :)

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

NO. Daylight Savings Time is on now "Spring forward, fall back." Anyhow, that would only affect how close the mount slews to initial alignment stars or to solar system objects, not deep sky objects and stars after you are aligned.

If you are having goto problems, describe your problems and procedure and you can be helped. ;)

#3 dmcnally

dmcnally

Mariner 2

• Loc: Lompoc, CA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

The DST setting should be to whether DST is "on" of "off". You say that DST is observed on Knoxville, so it should currently be "on."

In short, the sky charts use GMT. GMT doesn't observe DST. Setting DST changes the hour offset to GMT by one hour, or 15 degrees of sky.

Equally important is to set the longitute on your controller. Timezones are discreet (i.e. fixed increments) and the "sky clock" is continuous. The Florida panhandle and western Texas are in the same time zone, but because of the differences in longitute, they have different sky times (about 90 minutes in RA).

Dave

#4 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

damn, i thought that would do it, the initial slews were off by about an hour. I have exact GPS coordinates to my spot i usually goto and do enter them in.

I did the following to possibly help: i reset the hand controller to factory settings, then downloaded latest drivers using celestron firmware manager and installed them. i also opened the plastic case and put in new battery for the real time clock. I turned the mount on, set the date and time, using eastern time zone for knoxville, TN and daylight savngs= yes, went to menu and enabled the RTC. I will try it out again this weekend, maybe that will help some.

#5 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

i'm thinking of either getting a skysync for exact gps and time, maybe my coordinates are off, i did get them from someone else. Or maybe a starsense autoalign, but it seems reviews for starsense are less than favorable :(

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Better you figure this out now than in the fall when you are sitting in the middle of the Mojave desert with your wife freezing her backside off while I, I mean you, read the manual and still don't figure it out.

#7 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

well i will be moving back to phoenix in december, then i will most likely join you in freezing in the desert, although phoenix is sonoran desert :)

#8 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

just curious has anyone had success using the "quick align" or "solar system align"

#9 Carl N

Carl N

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

If you have a cell phone download a gps app. I use one that gives position to more decimals than the mount asks for.
My VX had a bit off too on initial star. That can be cone error of the mount. It can also be that the mount isn't level perfectly. But really not of that should matter if you get good go to after 2alignment stars and at least one calibration. Then do the ASPA. Then shut the mount off and see how far off the initial go to is. It should be acceptable.

#10 Carl N

Carl N

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

And yes, I used solar system align very successfully with it. Don't ask it to go to a faint double perfectly, but it will get you close on planetary targets for viewing use.

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

i'm thinking of either getting a skysync for exact gps and time, maybe my coordinates are off, i did get them from someone else. Or maybe a starsense autoalign, but it seems reviews for starsense are less than favorable :(

Save you money. None of this will affect gotos to a deep sky object for an aligned mount. If your gotos to stars and DSOs ain't good, time and location ain't gonna help. ;)

What WILL help you?

--Make sure you center the correct alignment stars. "Almost" don't get it.

--Add four calibration stars.

--Do final centering of alignment and calibration stars with the up and right keys only.

--Always run the mount with a fully charged battery.

:cool:

#12 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Oklahoma

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Also you have to be close to polar aligned. Not exact, that comes later but real close. One time I did the aspa after getting all the align stuff done and all night the gotos were so perfect that it was amazing. The next night I went out and sat the mount by eye ball close to polar aligned I thought and man it was so far off on the align process that I finally gave up and did factory reset.
Moral of the story seems to be the closer to perfect you get the alignment then the closer to polar you need to sit the mount back down the next time. So I took and marked the ground where the tripod feet go and now it just takes a few seconds to get it all done!

#13 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:50 AM

just got back from observing, after doing factory reset and then re-update to newest version and changing rtc battery it worked flawlessly. i always get really close with polar alignment before doing the 2+4, so that wasn't the issue, i think it was the old version of firmware. Anyways, first alignment star was within the fov of a medium-high power eyepiece, next one was near perfect, then the calibration stars were exact. After that my gotos were absolutely flawless. Using the 4 inch refractor i couldnt quite resolve all of M13, but it looked good at 90x and okay at 180x. the 4 inch refractor can go really high magnification on moon, over 300x no problem, both saturn and the moon were in and out of cloud cover half of the night. I think being in close proximity to the moon, saturn is not best to view, the details were not as sharp as i remember previously, but i could still see several of its moons and at times the cassini division was observable, but most of the time it was not. Overall it was good night, after moon set seeing was excellent, milky way easily visible across the sky, just a little too late in the night unfortunately and i could hear some bears not terribly far awar, that always makes me scared hahaha

#14 dkbender

dkbender

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

hmmmmm.... I had mine out a few days ago and ran into the same problem. I had the tripod level, Polaris optically aligned well, did the time/date, DST on, GPS coordinates correct and then did 2+4 with a crosshair e.p. accurately, which had always worked before.... until a few days ago. The goto's were way off and I re-did the setup 3 times with no improvement. I ended up just doing planetary visual observing and then packed it in. Oh, and I was on a brand new Group 24 battery, freshly charged just before use.

I may have to investigate the RTC battery and firmware update also.

#15 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

i also had issues with the battery pack, the light normally stays on iindicating it is turned on, but it had been sort of blinking and going in and out. I tightened up the connector pin and that seemed to help a little with that. I had it out last night as well, worked just fine. I had a slight issue with my finder scope being off, but i fixed that and gotos during the alignment process were very close to center. Using the comet hunter scope means i have to use a second counter weight, and the weights have to be up on the bar to where it almost hits the altitude locking screw and i think it did hit it a couple times, messing up the alignment. I think it is best to use a cope that requires one counter weight and to have that weight towards the end of the bar.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics