Photo

Eyepieces you keep bc everyone else wants 'em....

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

....and once you sell 'em you'll never get 'em back again.

I have five eyepieces in this category.

1. The ZAO IIs. (total four, no longer made)
2. The Zeiss 16.7 mm 68 degree diascope (no longer made)

I also have the Leitz 88 afov 30mm but I actually *use* that. When I'm using the C14 + 4 inch refractor I often want *two* wide fields at once and the Leitz 88 delivers more than the XW30. So I might have the Leitz 88 in the refractor and the XW40 in the C14 or vice versa.

I also keep handy a Pan 24 which I don't often use. It's main function is, for those times when I'm using a 1.25 inch focuser/diagaonal, to deliver the most field of view achievable in a 1.25 inch format.

Anyhow to get back to my own topic since I am solvent I seem to be hoarding $3k or so in eyepieces which I use very seldom and don't really need, but which are so highly spoken of in other circles that I fear that by selling them I would gain a few bucks and then forever feel deprived, even though having used the eyepieces, I am not sure I would feel deprived at all. The bedrock of my eyepiece collection is the complete XW series and an AP Barcon. I am hardly starving for quality glass....

The Zeiss 16.7 has been very serviceable for me, I used it extensively to fill the hole between 14 and 20mm in the Pentax XW series. But after many years I finally purchased the Nikon 17.5 direct from Japan, and it is so nice I find myself using it instead of the 16.7.

As I have posted elsewhere if I am going to use tiny glass I prefer the X0 2.5 and X0 5mm to the ZAO II series.

My favorite in the ZAO II series is the 16mm. It has a quality that is hard to put into words, but I seldom reach for it with the other 14 to 17.5 options in the box.

I have however just taken delivery of an AP GT130 and I suppose I shall be trying the ZAO IIs again on the theory of the purity of experience achievable with a legendary eyepiece in a legendary scope. But as I say, the other glass I have is not too shabby, and the refractor I had before the GT130 was an FS128, also not too shabby, and the ZAO IIs seldom made their way into the Tak. Waiting for the revealed truth of the ZAO IIs is like waiting for Godot, it seems...

Greg N

#2 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hi Greg,

I was just thinking about this the other day. I wouldn't buy an eyepiece if I didn't think I wanted it or could use it. If I just use it a little though that is OK, as long as I use it.

But I did recently purchase on a whim a pair of 25mm Sterling eyepieces. And I am not sure I need them yet because I also have a pair of Zeiss and a pair of widefield Leica microscope eyepieces that are also 25mm. I haven't been able to try them very much though because I need adapters to get them to fit in my Mark V binoviewer.

So chances are the Sterlings aren't going to be better than those eyepieces but not knowing yet how those work and that the Sterlings are highly praised and hard to find, I decided to get them. Also, compared to the others they aren't expensive so not much of an investment there and I could easily sell them again.

Other than that, I have only thought about buying some because they are hard to get but in the end, logic takes over for me and I won't buy unless I think I could really enjoy an eyepiece and use it.

BTW, I am looking for a Pentax XW 30mm. I just bought a used 40mm but haven't received it yet. I considered the Leitz 88 30mm but I also have the Nagler 31mm and the Leitz is so expensive. How would you compare the Lietz to the Pentax and Nagler other than the obvious FOV differences. Do you think it is worth owning it?

Thanks, Kent

#3 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Mine are a set of 7.4mm, 13mm, 17mm, 26mm and 40mm TeleVue smooth side Plössls from the early 80's.

Good thing is that there is really not a whole lot of money tied up in them.....

Arizona Ken

#4 coutleef

coutleef

Soyuz

• Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

i have two sets

pentax 30 and 40 i would be foolish to sell (or desperate)

and

sterling plossls in pairs for binoviewing 25, 20 and 17!

they are great but do not use them but i could sell them what it will cost for shipping since they were obtained at such a low cost.

#5 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Panoptic 24. It's kind of redundant, what with the Nagler 22 Type 4 I have (not to mention the Meade Series 5000 UWA 24, which I will sell, and have never used). But every once in a while, it's convenient to have a great 1-1/4" eyepiece of that focal length. So I keep it.

#6 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Yeah, the Pentax 30 and 40mm I'll be keeping (even with the offer of $600 a piece) as well as the pair of older 7-22 Leica zooms for binoviewing. Of course, the Brandon Anniversary sets will be staying as well until trumped by the zooms, which hasn't happened yet.

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

My XWs, the full set....They're my dark site eyepieces

and the T1 Nagler smoothsides, full set....donno why, just because.

#8 Lance1234

Lance1234

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Zip, none, nada. What I don't use, I sell to buy things that I do use. I missed most of the legendary mythical eyepieces, having just gotten back into the hobby, but the XO 5mm that I was lucky enough to snag earlier this year and which I bought just because the opportunity presented itself (knowing full well that giving 50X/inch in my C9.25 it was nearly unusable) went to finance part of my Leica zoom, which I use regularly.

Similarly, my XW-40 now has competition from a 31T5 that I just picked up and which provides about the same true field of view. I expected the XW, with it's nearly 1mm larger exit pupil and legendary contrast, to outperform the 31T5 on some of the large DSOs but so far that doesn't seem to be the case (very puzzling). Lots more evaluation to do but if the XW doesn't end up showing me a reason to keep it, that too will end up on the block. Time will tell.

#9 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

I don't think any eyepiece that is still in production can qualify for "eyepieces you keep because everyone else wants 'em", cuz if they REALLy want 'em that bad, they would buy it new.

So I only have a couple entries--one set and one single:

BGO set
I have a set of BGOs that I didn't sell because the buyer's increasing eagerness to buy them actually made me feel more and more like I had to keep them! (If you're reading this--sorry! :()

Pentax XW 30
Keeping it not just because everyone else wants one, but because I actually want to use it as well AND it is out of production. I passed on a seller trying to bundle his XW 30 for a now unbelievable price of $350 with a couple other XWs I was purchasing from him in late 2012, telling him that I already had a Pan 35. That move cost me big as I had to pay a lot more for the XW 30 earlier this year. Now they've dried up to the point that I see 4 or 5 different 'want' ads running simulataneously for it.

To be honest, I do like several of my other eyepieces more than the XW 30 for what they bring to the table (22T4 Nagler, 14 Delos, 13 Ethos, XW 7, 6 Delos) and I will not sell them, but the fact is, they are still readily available new or used.

#10 Pezdragon

Pezdragon

Explorer 1

• Loc: Bay Area, Ca.

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

I doubt anybody really would want them but I'll never part with my

1) Meade research grade 20mm erfle
2) 16.3 mm Galoc
3) 28 mm telescopics ( Galoc) ortho

And lastly my 25 mm kellner binoc eyepiece John Dobson gave me in 1968
when I was building my 10" f/8 telescope...before the were known as Dobs.

Funny thing is I really don't use them much anymore....

#11 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

UO 16mm Konig 2 Zebra.

I really don't use it very much but don't want to sell it. I bought it in the early 90's to use with my Odyssey Compact before I learned that Konigs have lousy edge performance at f/4.5. For many years I used it with my TV 1.8x Barlow for a 9mm equivalent and it excelled in that role. Now I'm more likely to use my Pentax 8.5mm XF in that role for the greater eye relief.

#12 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Now these don't really qualify as eyepieces that "everyone else wants," but I do have some vintage Televue Wide Fields, 24mm and 32mm. Even though I rarely use them, I keep them because they're really nice eyepieces in very nice condition, and they're no longer being produced. If I sold them off and decided I wanted them back, they would be pretty difficult to replace.

#13 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

My 40 WF is redundant with my 31NT5 and 25ES100 (40WF recently sold)
My 20 NT2 is redundant with my 21E (20NT2 recently sold)
My 13 NT1 is redundant with my 13E
My 9 NT1 is redundant with my 9ES120
My 7 NT1 is redundant with my 13E in 2X PowerMate

The important point is NEVER sell an EP that you want to keep. So buy the purported replacement and use it several times before selling the one getting replaced.

#14 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

The important point is NEVER sell an EP that you want to keep. So buy the purported replacement and use it several times before selling the one getting replaced.

Very sage advice! I made that mistake with a telescope once, and don't plan to make that mistake again. :ohmy:

#15 Martti

Martti

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

I have ten .96 eyepieces from 1980s for my 80mm f/15 refractor. The most expensive of those oculars was the Carton 7mm Ortho. That is a very sharp and contrasty eyepiece.

#16 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

I have a few sitting around -

Pentax 30 and 40 XW - Very few loved them until they stopped making them. Now everyone wants them. I have almost a full set of XW and use them for public outreach. The comfy eye relief and mascara-proof eye guards make these the best eyepieces I have ever owned for the task.

Pentax XO 2.5 - I use this once or twice a year in my Traveler. It sits in the display case the other 363 days a year. I picked it up in a group sale with the ZAO-I, but don't really have much use for this focal length.

ZAO-I - I take these out once or twice a year and enjoy the views I get of Saturn with them. But 99 percent of the time, I can get a similar view with an Ethos or Nagler.

CZJ 8mm ortho - I keep this one because Zeiss only made a handful of them and I stumbled upon this one in Germany. I haven't used it in years - the 8mm Ethos does just fine.

I have a few other CZJ orthos and a handful of TV Radians, but I don't consider any of these to be rare or collectors items. I pull them out when I'm in the mood, but I have a box full of Ethos that I use for most of my observing.

Cheers,

Ron

#17 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hard to find EPs I keep knowing they would be hard to replace:

30 & 40 XW -- Like them both but I just don't use 2" EPS so much.

10 & 12 AP-SPL -- These I pretty much never use. Just hold onto them should I seriously pursue an SCT for planetary viewing. Not really planetary magnifications for the APOs.

35 Ultrascopic -- Not super hard to find but then do get snatched quickly.

7mm Pentax SMC Ortho -- Sits in the 7mm position until I ever find a 7mm Supermono.

#18 Lance1234

Lance1234

Ranger 4

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Ah, I forgot one that I do keep (not that anyone else would want it)...my 1¼" focal length (32mm), A. Jaegers, late 1960's vintage, army surplus Erfle. I just recemented two of the elements and tried it out for the first time in close to 40 years. It still provides an intangibly pleasing view.

#19 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

How would you compare the Lietz to the Pentax and Nagler other than the obvious FOV differences. Do you think it is worth owning it?

Thanks, Kent

If I had to choose between the XW30 and XW40 vs the Leitz 88, I would choose the XWs. It is a reasonable comparison because the Leitz has the magnification of the xw30 but a field closer to an xw40. And the Leitz costs about the same as the two big XWs combined.

That said I haven't been tempted to sell the Leitz in return for an XW30 or XW40 because the Leitz occupies a nice niche, when I swap it out it is usually for a higher mangification view. I think the XWs do better on the edges than the Leitz but the Leitz does well enough.

I have systematic kidney bean issues with the Nagler series, and in addition to its massive weight and size, that is my reason for not wanting the N31. I also sold my NT417. Greg N

#20 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Ah, I forgot one that I do keep (not that anyone else would want it)...my 1¼" focal length (32mm), A. Jaegers, late 1960's vintage, army surplus Erfle. I just recemented two of the elements and tried it out for the first time in close to 40 years. It still provides an intangibly pleasing view.

I have a 17mm erfle I don't get rid of because it was the eyepiece in which I first saw E and F in the Trap, in my 9.25. But I don't ever use it...I just think it might be too good go sell. I'm not even sure where it is at the moment. I think it's a celestron.

Greg N

#21 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

Pan 22.

#22 SteveC

SteveC

Gemini

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

6mm & 10mm Zeiss momocentrics

#23 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

I use all my Planetary eyepieces but I have had specific offers (via email or PM) for one of them........18mm Pentax Or.

None are currently for sale, but with Markus expanding the TMB SMC line to include the 18mm (and 21mm) I could see me swapping it out one day to keep my set consistent.

Mike

#24 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Hoarding eyepieces? Who would do *that*? :lol:

- Jim

#25 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

31mm Baader Aspheric? :roflmao:

Oh wait, that must be Jim's prize possession^^^.

:roflmao:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics