Photo

The Sky-Watcher Pro ED Refractor sale is back!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Castor

Castor

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: GMT-6 / North

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:33 AM

Hello!

Did you notice that the Sky-Watcher Pro ED Refractor sale is back?

I just found out here: Sky-Watcher ProED Sale Announcement on CN.
The sale is also available from our sponsor Astronomics and other vendors as well.

I own the Vixen version of the ED100 and really love using this scope for visual observing!

P.S. I have no affiliation with Sky-Watcher or any vendor.

#2 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: On a receiver's back

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

It was already an excellent bargain. Now, it's an even better excellent bargain :)

#3 320mb

320mb

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Ordered a 100ed yesterday, will make a nice grab-n-go instead of lugging the Z10 around. :dob:

#4 carlcat

carlcat

Messenger

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Of all my telescopes my Skywatcher 100ED is my favorite. I put it on a CG-4 with dual drives and use a Televue 3-6 zoom eyepiece, astro chair and I'm cooking. It star tested great. I had a small problem with the diagonal, Skywatcher sent me a new one immediately and even let me keep the original. There's nothing better than a company that backs up their products. My only problem now is should I buy the 120ED now. We should all have such problems. I think I spoke with the owner, we had a great conversation talking about old scopes in the 50's and 60's....I'm old. lol.

#5 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

You know, I am seriously thinking of selling my Lunt 102, which is a fine scope but a faster one, and adding this scope that I have lusted after for a long time.

But as a lunar and planetary observer, I have to be convinced that it's multiple times better that the $59 C102 I already have. I can't seem to convince myself of that. (Yet.) If I did not have a 4" scope, this would be the one, hands down.

Great sale.

#6 Alfonso

Alfonso

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

I too have the Celestron C102 GT that I bought for $58 bucks last August. What a wonderful telescope. The optics are superb, it's beautifully collimated and affixed to an Explore Scientific twilight I mount. I just pick it up and take out in the backyard and in 30 seconds I'm ready to travel thru space and time. I've no doubt the Skywatcher 100 ED is a fine telescope but what can it do that my C102 can't???
The only difference is in the optics, which are APO and that's great but I won't spend $650 bucks when my C102 provides beautiful . . . and I mean beautiful, clear, crisp, sharp and lovely views of the cosmos. The CA doesn't bother me like it does others and I'm pleased with it and I'll keep it for life. And considering the OTA cost only $58 bucks, it was a steal !!!

Yet . . . it would be nice to have one of those 100 ProEDs.

regards
Alfonso

#7 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Haha--exactly Alfonso! Exactly! It's such a beautiful scope, that SW...

#8 belgrade

belgrade

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, TX

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Both of you, guys, are so right... I have the same achromat bought for the same price and it's simply amazing for the money. If I'd go for a SW Pro scope, though, it would be likely the 120 mm version. Kudos to SW for having a sale - again! Hmm, maybe they should simply make this new permanent pricing for the Pro series. Otherwise, they are going to "suffer" from the ES syndrome of (nearly) perpetual sale. :p

#9 Castor

Castor

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:31 AM

You know, I am seriously thinking of selling my Lunt 102, which is a fine scope but a faster one, and adding this scope that I have lusted after for a long time.

But as a lunar and planetary observer, I have to be convinced that it's multiple times better that the $59 C102 I already have. I can't seem to convince myself of that. (Yet.) If I did not have a 4" scope, this would be the one, hands down.

Great sale.

Hi pdxmoon,

My most used scopes are a TV85 and an ED100Sf refractor. The ED100Sf, is my grab and go scope for lunar/planetary observing and it's normally set up on a medium capacity EQ mount (a GP2 or a GPD2) for its tracking ability. The TV85 is used exclusively on a lightweight alt-az mount for deep-sky observing and it's also my favorite travel scope. Having both scopes gives me the advantage to pick the optimal tool for the task at hand.

Since you identify yourself as a lunar and planetary observer, I clearly understand why you are considering selling your Lunt 102 and acquiring an ED100. But short of setting up your current 4-inch refractors next to an ED100 while looking at planetary targets, it would be very difficult to quantify how much better this scope would be over what you have.

You face a difficult decision and I wish you the best!

#10 jonee523

jonee523

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:38 AM

Hey guys and gals,

I want one of those. I was leaning towards the lunt 102ed because its f/7. But when I take into account its almost 100 less with the diag, finderscope, and 2 eps what a bargain. Not to mention its fpl53 vs.normal ED glass. Everything you have all shared about the scope says its a steal and keeper. I hope my local dealer has some left for SCAE on the 12th. I hope to buy one along with a twilight one mount. Keep your fingers crossed for me pls...lol

Jon

This should make a great grab and go. Especially compared to the 62 lbs cannon I want to replace with it ... :jump:

#11 Castor

Castor

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:52 AM

Of all my telescopes my Skywatcher 100ED is my favorite.[...]
[...]My only problem now is should I buy the 120ED now. We should all have such problems.

I experienced the exact same 'problem' soon after I received my ED100Sf and enjoyed the good views. Alas, some subsequent projects depleted my Astronomy funds and prevented me from taking action to solve it!

Why did you have to bring this up now? :lol:

#12 Castor

Castor

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:22 AM

Hey guys and gals,

I want one of those. I was leaning towards the lunt 102ed because its f/7. But when I take into account its almost 100 less with the diag, finderscope, and 2 eps what a bargain. Not to mention its fpl53 vs.normal ED glass. Everything you have all shared about the scope says its a steal and keeper. I hope my local dealer has some left for SCAE on the 12th. I hope to buy one along with a twilight one mount. Keep your fingers crossed for me pls...lol

Jon

This should make a great grab and go. Especially compared to the 62 lbs cannon I want to replace with it ... :jump:

Hi Jon,

If my emphasis was deep-sky observing, I would favor the Lunt 102ed for its shorter tube (easier to mount) and the wider field of view.

On the other hand, if I was more inclined to lunar/planetary and double star observing, I'd prefer the Sky-Watcher Pro 100ED for its better color correction (with FPL-53) and longer focal length (providing higher magnification with the same eyepieces).

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :fingerscrossed:

#13 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: On a receiver's back

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Great sale.

I've looked through a C102 and yes, the Skywatcher is multiple times squared better.

#14 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Great sale.

I've looked through a C102 and yes, the Skywatcher is multiple times squared better.

How, in your opinion? What was the target?

Thanks!

#15 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

I,m just wondering why we do not see this sale at Canadian retailers?, even allowing for the dollar difference and customs charges , taxes and shipping costs their is still a significant saving by buying in the USA and getting it sent to Canada, the pre sale price of skywatchers stuff is pretty well the same in both countries, Canadian retailers are always playing h##l about cross border shopping but can you blame people?, DA.

#16 Eric63

Eric63

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Thom, how is the Lunt when compared to your C102?

Thanks
Eric

#17 crow

crow

Ranger 4

• Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Bino, in a word no. SW HQ is located not far from me I believe, in the lower mainland. No reason why Canada shouldn't be included in the sale. Shop elsewhere.

#18 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors
  • Loc: California

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Each branch of Sky-Watcher is run independently. Each branch can do what they like as far as sales.

#19 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Thanks
Eric

I'll be honest--it's a fine instrument, the Lunt. And were I doing a lot of DSO the wide field would be an advantage. It certainly is portable-- ez to set up and break down, rides on the Porta II. The finishing features are nice.

But I do notice, or think I notice at least, the advantages of the longer scope on my target--the Moon. The moon's features at higher mag seem to have more depth through the C102. The C102 is very good on color, as well, and of course, color is not an issue on the Lunt.

Again--if I were going to pan the skies and look for clusters, etc, the Lunt would undoubtedly be the better tool. But for the moon, my $59 C102 is the scope I use most often in my modern fleet. The Lunt stays in the box.

#20 PeterR280

PeterR280

Apollo

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

I have both the C102 and the SW pro100ED. The image quality is similar. The C102GT is perhaps a bit sharper. The SW shows no false color whereas the C102 does show some fringing in brighter objects like Jupiter, although it is minimal and does not bother me.

#21 Eric63

Eric63

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Thom, I was wondering if colour or sharpness was an issue on the Lunt. I guess the lunt would make a nice all around 4" instrument.

Eric

#22 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Thom, I was wondering if colour or sharpness was an issue on the Lunt. I guess the lunt would make a nice all around 4" instrument.

Eric

The Lunt would make a superb all around instrument, which is why I will undoubtedly keep it for if/when my interests expand to DSO and away from my solar system neighbors.

Right now, I prefer the C102, which is why I probably would prefer the SW 100 over the Lunt for what I observe now. But the SW would be redundant for my needs, and the Lunt being faster is an all around more versatile scope for me in the future.

If I did not have the C102, I'd be buying the SW. And if I actually owned a mount that could handle it (I only own the Polaris and two Porta IIs) I would buy the SW 120. But I do not wish to invest in a big, heavy mount to handle that glorious long scope--and, at 60, it only gets harder to lug it all out.

Right now, my C102 is on a forever home, the Vixen Polaris. In seconds it is out the door and ready for observing. No stairs, no fuss.

#23 Eric63

Eric63

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Thank you Thom.

I just picked up a SW Ed80 and I am enjoying it very much on the moon.

Eric

Eric

#24 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

Eric, I have the C80ED which is a bit slower scope (a tad, I think) than the very fine SW80, and I love it on the Moon. I'll bet you are getting great views.

#25 Eric63

Eric63

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

They are both F7.5, but mine is housed in a 102mm tube. A bit bulkier but still grab and go. And yes, the moon is quite amazing in it. I just need a lighter mount mount than my steel legged AZ4 to make it a true grab and go.

Eric

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics