Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

I'm glad Georgia's on your mind! :grin:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO!!! :banjodance:

#28 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Well my son and I survived the drive to Georgia all in one piece. My wife flew (I think she was afraid we would belch and fart for 800+ miles after eating chili dogs from every road side stand we came across).

Below is the JAT Observatory in it's new home in the new garage. The crating company put it into 3 crates. The crate on the far left has the 2 dome halves, the PierTech-2 and the rotation controls and rotation solar panel. That crate is 8' "8 x 4' 10" x 4' 10". The 2 crates on the right have the dome walls and the 3 cubbies. They are 4' 2" x 3' 2" x 5' 10". I put the crates on furniture dollies so I can move them around in the garage.  I told my son to ask the science dept at his new school if they wanted an observatory donation. If they say no it will go back on Astromart, but now since it's crated it can be shipped anywhere. I just have to remember to put the all the nuts and bolts and the pier controller in the crate (I forgot to give them to the craters).

OBS_Garage1rs.jpg

Edited by JAT Observatory, 04 August 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#29 Joel

Joel

Gemini

• Loc: Merrimack, NH

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

No chance of rebuilding it Marcus?  

I'm glad you got it crated like that so you can take your time and do with it what you need to.

#30 Paddyman

Paddyman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

Would love to see you rebuild the JAT Observatory

Edited by Paddyman, 05 August 2014 - 05:42 PM.

#31 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

There are a lot of trees in the backyard which I would have to get permission to cut down (+ cost) and I would also need permission to put up the obs. I not saying there is no chance but it's not looking good. Right now I'm hoping the school wants it so I can get the crates out of the garage. If they take it I might be able to use it from time to time.

#32 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

So I met with the physics teacher today. We walked around the campus and picked out a location for the OBS. They have a couple of Meade 10" SCTs and wedges so they have the scope covered. They also have a some copies of The Sky 6.  I am also going to give them the PeirTech-2. She thinks the school may be able to get Home Depot to donate some of the materials needed for the deck and power and data lines.  She is going to write-up a plan. The Principle also seemed enthusiastic about it. Hopefully this will get astronomy back on their curriculum.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics