• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

I have dealt with Hayneedle and Agena. I love Agena's service. I'm looking at a CG4 Dual Axis Motor Drive Agena and Hayneedle are the same price. But there are places that sell it cheaper with shiping. Only by $10 or so. I feel Agena has been very good to me. Sould I be loyal to them? or go with the best price? I really don't know if this was the best place to post this. I looked but didn't see the general questions.

#2 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

I buy most of my stuff used, but I have bought a scope/mount off Astrononics. Usually If I'm ordering from the USA I'll go with Agena as Manish is such a pleasure to deal with and answers question promtly (via email or phone).
His shipping is also fast and first rate.

For $10 I'd stick with you usual two places.
Also consider warranty/replacement. I know Manish is excellent in this regards, not so sure of the others.

Mike

#3 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

If you should have a problem with the order or equipment Agena will take care of you!!! To me that's worth the extra $10.00. If Agena has what I want at a decent price, they get my money! Manish and his crew IMO have the best customer service in the industry.

#4 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

If they have one available I'd give some consideration to Astronomics, what with this site and all.

Otherwise Agena.

#5 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'm loyal to whichever vendor offers the best "all in price"

If you like Agena (and I have used them and like them too) ask them if they will price match a better price. If they do, then they like you as much as you like them.

I like (and have used) Adorama and Astronomic as well.

But for me, price drives a lot of my purchasing decision.

#6 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

Agena has always been spot on for me and delivery seems like as soon as I post the order, it shows up :jump:, To me rewarding excellent service still means something,
Kasey

#7 oldstargazer

oldstargazer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western Oklahoma

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

I always look on Astronomics first when I am looking for something new and then if they don't have it I try Starizona. I have not bought from either of the two you mentioned but would go with which ever of them that has been good to me in the past.

#8 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

I buy almost everything used but for new equipment I always look to Astronimics first. If I need to go elsewhere I look for best price. If I had any kind of relationship with any of the better known sellers I'd go there but I buy so little that hasn't happened.

Mike

#9 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Astronomics for me but of course it helps that I can drive there in 30 minutes.

#10 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

I agree, they kick butt. Surprise me every time.

#11 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

With respect to Astronomics, OPT is just 45 miles from my house. They have given me some great advice, some killer deals, and invited me to share their space at Nightfall last year. I spend better than 99% of my money there.

#12 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

I have dealt with Hayneedle and Agena. I love Agena's service. I'm looking at a CG4 Dual Axis Motor Drive Agena and Hayneedle are the same price. But there are places that sell it cheaper with shiping. Only by $10 or so. I feel Agena has been very good to me. Sould I be loyal to them? or go with the best price? I really don't know if this was the best place to post this. I looked but didn't see the general questions.

For me it depends on what it is. I get a lot of small hard to find stuff from Agena like connectors and hardware. I like to shop at OPT, but they're out west and I'm in the east so shipping takes a while. I also shop at Astronomics, Starizona, High Point Scientific, and Adorama. I like to shop at stores that offer service and value.

Patrick

#13 aorion314

aorion314

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

aorion314 here, ASTRONOMICS FOR 95% OF MY EQUIPMENT.

#14 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

For new, I use our host first. If they don't have it, then I look elsewhere.

David

#15 kbastro

kbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

Astronomics, OPT, Woodland hills, Astro-Physics, Losmandy and KW telescope,, always get me the "stuff" I want and need
kbastro

#16 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

CNC count? :p

#17 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

When I buy new, I almost always use Anacortes, even though I have to pay sales tax to do it.

They treat me very well, and exchanging things is easier when I can drive it there rather than having to ship large things.

Also, I like supporting local brick-and-mortar stores, since they provide a service distant mail-order stores cannot.

#18 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

I have bought stuff from Agena Astro, Astronomics, OPT and Skies Unlimited and can recommend them all.

#19 Stelios

Stelios

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:23 PM

I also like Agena enough that other things being close I'd give them the nod. However, if there's significant money savings involved, then my wallet will be the guide.
I know Astronomics is our patron, but I find their site so slow-loading that I tend to not shop there just because of that reason. (It's probably slow-loading because the server runs Cloudy Nights... :tonofbricks:)

I am also influenced by free shipping (one reason I've not shopped much at Orion). Woodland Hills is close to me and if WHCT has something in the store I'd buy it there, but lately their in-store inventory has not been as good as in the past (although they carry almost everything online).

#20 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

I'm lucky to have two "bricks and mortar" stores in my town: Vancouver Telescope Centre and Canadian Telescopes.

When possible, I support the locals.

If I have to buy from the US of A, I'd like to buy from Astronomics for their support of CN, although I've also had excellent service from Agena, ScopeStuff, and OPT.

#21 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

If I need something quick, I try Astronomics first as I usually get stuff within a day or so even with ground shipping. I like Agena for the harder to find stuff, and ScopeStuff for the impossible to find stuff. All of them have been first rate.

#22 wargrafix

wargrafix

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

off topic: astronomics ships overseas?

#23 Pak

Pak

Vostok 1

• Loc: The Great Arc

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

If it is expensive and I know exactly what I want, Astronomics. If it is cheap and I know exactly what I want, Woodland Hills. Farah is great! If I have no clue what I want I call OPT.

#24 bogg

bogg

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bruce County Ontario

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

I use my local store KW Telescope. They always seem to have what I would want

#25 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

If it's close I always go with who I like...usually who has the best customer service.

For eyepieces I try to go with eyepiecesetc.com ... even if they are a few bucks more after shipping. Don's customer service and quick shipping is top notch.

For most other new purchases I try Astronomics first, then Optcorp, then adorama camera, then Agena, etc. All the ones I named are very good most of the time.

Sometimes you don't have multiple options depending on the item.

I can say some prices can be drastically different so it's worth checking everything out. Pentax XWs are pretty cheap at Adorama camera...but not at Optcorp. Canon IS binos may have the most variation in prices of any products out there. The same item ranging from $2000 to $1200.

Customer service is well worth a little extra expense.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics