• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

I want to log my observations of the the "RASC Explore the Universe Certificate". This certificate includes lunar craters. Is there some trick in SkyTools that allows me to build an observation list that includes lunar craters? This would allow me to log lunar craters and other features.

#2 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:09 AM

Hmmm ... I took a look. Doesn't seem possible. I could be wrong.

I also saw no downloads via the data manager.

An interesting question.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

A better choice might be the (free) Virtual Moon Atlas. It is excellent in every regard, has huge image databases, let's you use goto to goto lunar features and lets you make notes on objects you observe.

#4 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

I posted this same question to Greg at SkyTools. Greg indicated that you can add objects that are not in the database and log them. But you cannot log "features" such as the great red spot or lunar craters. You can also only log satellites under their associated planet not as unique objects.

Greg said he was hoping to add the above features to the software at some future date.

#5 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

+1 for VMA.

http://ap-i.net/avl/en/start

I was going to recommend contacting Greg. I look forward to those features.

I do occasional binocular lunar observations to test my visual acuity.

#6 semiosteve

semiosteve

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NEOhio

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

I am a long time user of SkyTools. As noted above does not support logging of lunar or planetary features in a robust fashion (compared to DSO's). This seems to be a gap in the market. For example, neither Virtual Lunar Atlas nor Mars Previewer support logging functions.

Ideally SkyTools would add something but nowadays with so much of the market moving to tablets it feels like we are going backwards to less powerful tools (apps) that are running in more convenient hardware. So there is less incentive for older traditional tools on desktops and laptops to invest in major innovation.

Also, the $$'s are moving from visual/observational to astro- photography especially for planetary and lunar work

I hope I am wrong though. Would love to see SkyTools add support for lunar and planetary logging equal to what they have for other targets!

#7 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

One solution might be to add a feature that allows the user to add an observing target not in the database. Then you could log lunar, planetary, aurora, weird weather or other features.

I use SkySafari at my scope for identification and star hopping. I have not tried logging observations yet.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

I am a long time user of SkyTools. As noted above does not support logging of lunar or planetary features in a robust fashion (compared to DSO's). This seems to be a gap in the market. For example, neither Virtual Lunar Atlas nor Mars Previewer support logging functions.

Ideally SkyTools would add something but nowadays with so much of the market moving to tablets it feels like we are going backwards to less powerful tools (apps) that are running in more convenient hardware. So there is less incentive for older traditional tools on desktops and laptops to invest in major innovation.

Also, the $$'s are moving from visual/observational to astro- photography especially for planetary and lunar work

I hope I am wrong though. Would love to see SkyTools add support for lunar and planetary logging equal to what they have for other targets!

Actually, VMA does support logging after a fashon. You can enter notes on each feature, and that can certainly include your date and time of observation. This works well enough for me that I really don't need anything else. ;)

#9 semiosteve

semiosteve

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NEOhio

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

That is true, VMA does allow you to record notes about specific features and that can be enough for many. On the other hand, I like to also be able to look at each evening sessions in their totality - regardless of what I was observing (planets, meteors, doubles, galaxies, variables, etc.). Right now there is no single observing tools that replaces my old spiral notebook in that regards...LOL

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics