Repurpose or Cannibalize old film SLRs?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Fowler

Terry Fowler

Sputnik

• Loc: Apple Valley, CA

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

I have 1970s Minolta SLR and an early 90s Nikon and neither of them work. Put in a brand new battery, flip the ON switch and nothing. My wife wants me to get rid of them but before I do that I thought I'd ask here if there's any good projects that some of the parts could be used for.

Terry Fowler
Apple Valley, CA

#2 MKV

MKV

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

You have a light meter in them that you could use, also flat mirror, to name just another useful optical item that could be used in a star diagonal or for tests. I suppose you have lenses for them as well. They will work on most lensless digitial cameras using a small adopter that can be purchased on eBay for under $10.

I think there's a lot more but I think you get the idea.

Mladen

#3 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

The bayonet mounts can be removed, to be mounted onto adapters for the attachment of lenses to CCD or video cams.

The light meters are generally not particularly discriminating, mostly resolving to about 1/3 stop, or 17%; nearer to 1% resolution is more useful.

#4 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

I've heard of the zoom mechanism being made into a lightweight cheap helical style focuser for an ATM scope. Also depending on the lens if it is a great piece of glass then get an adapter to mount it to a newer DSLR, set to infinity and take astrophotos.

#5 GM Carlson

GM Carlson

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas, USA

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

The reflex mirror is a nice lightweight first-surface mirror. Also the penta prism in the finder may be useful. The focusing screen may be useful for finding the focal plane of your scope.

#6 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

If they are really from the seventies the battery is just for the meter. Nikon F3s need a battery to be fully functional. Minoltas after the ST202 need batteries also. Many cameras that need batteries to have shutter function often require that the battery remain in the camera for a while with the power on charge long drained capacitors. They won't work immediately when the battery is inserted.

I have a bin of old dead Minoltas, Pentaxs, etc. from the '80s & '90s. Free for the postage, so don't wreck anything that may have value.

#7 gregj888

gregj888

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

How about a Spectrograph?

http://home.freeuk.c...newspecold.html
http://www.iceinspac...index.php?id=63,339,0,0,1,0
http://spektroskopie...nnappan2003.pdf

Lots of variations...

#8 darknesss

darknesss

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

Start a museum

#9 Terry Fowler

Terry Fowler

Sputnik

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hello and thanks for the ideas. I haven't been able to log in since I wrote this so I couldn't reply sooner. A minute ago I had a moment of panic wondering if She Who Must Be Obeyed had already dropped them off at the electronic waste place. Phew; she hadn't and now they're in my astronomy milk crate. And George, I'll your tip with the batteries. All I've done is put in new batteries, flip the ON switch, see that nothing was happening, removed the batteries and put the cameras back in a place that bothers my wife.*

Terry

* the top shelf of MY side of the closet!

#10 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Separate closets preserve marriages....

Attached Files

#11 Terry Fowler

Terry Fowler

Sputnik

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

It looks like you have some extra room next to the orange OTA; if you were closer. . . .

#12 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

Remember that the pentaprism in those is roofed, so has three reflections.So they will not erect an image, but will revert it L-R.

An old film SLR has a built-in target at the focus. Those focus screens can be used as-is, or modified with fine markers , and can be illuminated via the eyepiece, to serve backward as the basis of a target collimator. An artificial infinity target, that is.

Or, if desired, as an artificial target at a simulated distance less than infinity,via use of the lens focuser.

#13 Terry Fowler

Terry Fowler

Sputnik

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the tips Gordon!

#14 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:44 AM