Photo

some questions about the lx90 10" fork mount.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

does the mount have clutches on both axis, do you have to level it before alignment, how long will the internal batteries last before replacement and last any problems with this scope. I would consider the lx200 but the 50 lbs for the lx90 is about all I would wont to handle at my age. thanks. donnie

#2 Fivel

Fivel

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hello Donnie.
Although I have the LX90 8 inch, there are many similarities.
Here is what I am familiar with:
1.There are two clutches (RA and DEC).
2. You should level it whether in ALT/AZ or Polar (unless you have the LNT module).
3. Under normal use (without the guiding accessories) the batteries should last for several lengthy evenings (varies by ambient temp and load).
Most owners use an external power tank, or car battery adapter, or an AC/DC converter, when at home.
4. The issues I am familiar with are for the 8 inch, but could appear in the 10 inch:
A. Bad motor control boards in DEC and/or RA, causing thumping, clicking and jumpy views.
B. Poorer lengthy polar tracking vs. the LX200
C. Possible image shift, when focusing.
D. A rarer occurrence is Primary mirror shift when slewing to different parts of the sky. This can throw off the collimation.

If you put an LX200 (or LX90) on a dolly (I made one, for my LX90, with levelers), then the extra weight (at home) should not be as much of a concern. Also, with a dolly, for traveling to dark sites, see what options are available for a quick removal of the mount/wedge, from the tripod.
Of course consider the higher price for the LX200. It usually is worth the additional, price if you are going to do long exposure imaging. I have seen exceptional results, though online, for both.
When you get more questions, post here or on the respective Yahoo Group forum(s).
Best of luck and dark skies. Fivel

#3 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

fivel, thank you very much for that report. I really appreciate it. Im trying to decide between the lx90, lx200 or the celestron cpc 11". on the meade scopes it looks like the lx200 would be a better choice. thanks again, donnie

#4 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: On a receiver's back

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Some of the problems mentioned in the previous post such as image shifting while focusing are not unique to the LX90 or Meade, but affect most commercial SCT's. Whether you decide to go with Meade or Celestron you should know neither design is perfect. Some of the Celestron models have issues with their focusers, for example.

FWIW, I had and LX90 and it suffered from none of those issues. Perhaps I just had a good one. The LX90 is a heck of a bargain for the 8 and 10" models. But, having said that, if I were in the market for an SCT I would take a hard look at the Celestron 9.25 Evolution. It has a newly designed gearbox and comes with some high tech features like wifi and a built in lithium rechargable battery.

#5 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

• Loc: Tennessee

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

I have had all the listed scopes and the Meade LX90 is a great scope and I highly recommend it. I use my LX90 more than my 14 or pretty much and other I have. It is one of the best designed scopes to see the market.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics