• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Lots of folks at my scope try to rush themselves, afraid they will annoy those waiting.

I say quite loudly to anyone who appears ready to rush away like this, "Take your time - the folks behind you will take too long too!" (Making sure the folks in line hear me...)

It gets a laugh every time and gets folks to relax and enjoy the view a bit longer.

(I did not think this up and have no idea where I heard it many years ago, so thanks to whoever did so.)

#2 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Very wise, Ted. Folks new to the use of a telescope don't realize that there is a subtle training of the mind required to take the image out of context and integrate it. Most children don't develop discrimination ability for an eyepiece view until around age 5, some not until age 7. And some don't get it until adult, and some not at all. And in a solar scope, the brain is accustomed to a dynamic range of color; in H-Alpha, it does take some practice to discriminate among the red dominated view. Same with the bright moon. You sometimes need to break the viewer's concentration and allow them to return to the view to "see"; I call it the Look, See, Learn process. It is amazing at times to trick the viewer into looking back at you to answer a question, then put their eye back in place. The brain has had a chance to assimilate, then the second look it comes alive.
  • nypsirc likes this

#3 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

Great line, Ted.

#4 rsimpkins

rsimpkins

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lehi, UT

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

One technique I've used to encourage longer viewing is to start a conversation about the object. Asking a specific question about the object often gets them to look again. It also gives me an opportunity to share some facts about the object which deepens their appreciation and overall experience. The more people know the longer they look.

Another thing to try is to point and look at the eyepiece when asking them questions. A little body language can go a long way. My goal is to get them to talk about what they are seeing while they are looking through the eyepiece. This encourages them to take a close look and think about what they are seeing. Using a friendly tone of voice and plenty of encouragement gets them beyond the first "wow." Often you get a second or third "wow."

I have also found that some people simply aren't interested in a longer view. People say they saw things I know there is simply no way they saw. My feeling is that there are several good reasons why someone would want to move along. Therefore, I never push people. Think "gentle encouragement" rather than "high-pressure salesman."

#5 tedbnh

tedbnh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

John Dobson himself told me to ask some questions about what they are seeing of everyone who visits your scope. I keep it simple - for kids who see the Moon around first quarter, I ask them to count the craters for me. :-) It gets them to notice that some craters have craters in them, etc. When looking at Saturn, I ask them if they see Titan. Anything to get the brain re-started, since the beauty of the views many times brings things upstairs to a shuddering halt. Not a bad thing, but also good to think about what you are seeing.

#6 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

That s a good technique I often use, especially with youngsters. Don't know how many times I have seen a young one grab the eyepiece and his/her eye is looking all over the place. When I get them to focus on the "cone of light" and ask what they see...well that tells the tale. What Jim was right about certain ages and vision. I was told the same thing by a DR a long time ago at an outreach session.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics