• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Since my OAG was attached to the filter wheel and I didnt want to remove it I decided to shoot without a flattener/telecompressor and try binning at 2X2. This was my first attempt at both using the RC at the native f/8 as well as using the SBIG in 2X2 bin mode.

For some reason I had these green squiggles coming from the bottom of the brighter stars. I am assuming this is blooming but I'm not sure. It was there before any saturation was done. Also, the mount did not track/guide well enough at 1600mm and f/8 to even get good 5 minute subs. Every star had a bright nipple shape coming from the right side of it.

I do see some potential though. Maybe once I get the adapters I need to run the OAG I'll try this one again, even at f/5.8 would look nice using the Telecompressor. I have a M48 female thread adapter ordered to replace the M42F on my filter wheel and a shorter C-mount adapter for the QHY5L-II. Today I received the 6.4mm M48 spacer to get the distance right for my Telecompressor when the other stuff arrives. This image was done with the 50mm guider because I cant get the OAG to focus until I get the new parts in.

I really need a new mount. :( I'm trying to save up for the new HDX110 but I might just grab an Atlas. The Atlas would be great with what I have now but I'd like to get a 12" truss tube RC someday.

Attached Files

#2 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

Any idea what caused the green squiggles? Is this blooming?

Attached Files

#3 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Nice looking shot at reduced scale. The little nipples to the right of brighter stars is blooming. I'm not sure what the green squiggles are.

#4 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Thanks Madratter. It doesnt look that great at a larger scale. I dont know if I want to post it to Astrobin yet or not. I'll see if I can work out some of the problems later. The background was awful which is why I darkened it more than usual. Is there any IFN is this area that was showing up causing me to think the background was uneven?

Is there anything that can be done about the blooming issue for future images? I'm not sure if I'll ever shoot at 2X2 again or not but I have thought about someday getting a 12" RC and thought I could use 2X2 to get the pixel scale more managable. Maybe not? I could save for the HDX110 and save for the 12" RC, but not sure I also want to jump to a camera with larger pixels and buy bigger filters and a new filter wheel so soon. Maybe an Atlas should be what I get and just stick to what I have on scopes and camera equipment. :thinking:

#5 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:12 PM

There is so much dust in that area the background might be uneven although I didn't notice that when I shot it. But then I wasn't looking for it either.

You would either have to adjust the gain on the camera (there may be a pot for that inside) or you would have to reduce exposure time to deal with the blooming if you want to shoot 2x2. I shoot all my color data 1x1 now.

#6 TimN

TimN

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Richard, it looks like we picked the same image and had some of the same issues. I also noticed the background was uneven and darkened it and took some color out of it. I didn't like the effect so put it all back. Maybe it is dust? I think I'll go back to it later - during a long rainy spell :).
BTW, I have never seen anything like the green squiggles before.

#7 anismo

anismo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Austin, TX, USA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Those look like walking noise.. Did you dither?

#8 Goofi

Goofi

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Southern California

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

Anis, what's "walking noise" ..?

#9 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

I cant dither with my mount. It will never "settle" down enough after the dither before a new frame starts. I usually will have to throw out the first sub of every session because it takes it a while to calm down. Another reason why I have to get a new mount. :(

I find it strange that they are only coming from the brighter stars that had blooming issues. Oh well, this was an experiment I probably wont repeat again.

#10 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

I went ahead and posted this one. I'm tired of messing with it though. Doubt I'll ever shoot anything with 2X2 binning again.

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics