FSQ106EDX lll image train with STT8300 & FW8G-STT

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 orbiter

orbiter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Well this is my first post and I need help. The description in the title is what I am trying to assemble. I have gone blind looking at Tak system charts and chasing parts that don't seem to exist. Soo, specifically I would like to know from someone who has accomplished this what exactly are the spacers/adapters needed to build three image trains for prime focus, with the reducer, and also the extender. My biggest frustration is that I can't find specs on the parts I know I need. If I could I would figure this all out myself. For instance thread sizes and shoulder to shoulder dimensions of spacers and adapters. I feel I'm starting to whine so thanks for any help.

Stephen Cameron

#2 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

web page
Maybe this will help?
Rex

#3 orbiter

orbiter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

Sorry nope, not updated for the STT8300 and FW8G-STT

#4 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

You might try looking up the optical lengths on the SBIG site for the cameras listed ( ST8300 and STL) then using the back-focus distance given on the chart above, and the spacer lengths given on the TAK America site under accessories, ccd adapters, work out the lengths of the Tak CA's and adjust the parts to your camera? Knowing SBIG and how they like to standardize back focus lengths, you might get lucky?
Just a thought... :shrug:
Rex

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

Go on Astrobin and search for someone with that equipment and ask them directly.

Or, do the math. It's not rocket science. If you don't have info you need from SBIG, ask for it from them. Tom Marrow is a great guy. As for TAK, there is a distributor (in Texas?) who has a great reputation. Again, ask them. You're buying some premium gear, people are willing to ensure you are happy with them. Who did you buy the STT from? OPT will tell you exactly what you need for a specific setup.

Welcome to the forums :).

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Call any telescope store that carries Tak scopes and SBIG cameras and I can almost guarantee that the person you talk to has a sheet of paper in a notebook on their desk with every adapter you need to connect that imager to the scope. If you PM me I will tell you specifically who to call.

#7 AGF

AGF

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Talk to Fred at Texas Nautical and Repair. He will give you the exact image train adapters that you need.

#8 orbiter

orbiter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

thanks, yes I know the back focus distance for the camera.
The manual has it in back.

#9 orbiter

orbiter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

To my knowledge no spacer lengths are specified on the Land Sea and Sky site.

#10 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

To my knowledge no spacer lengths are specified on the Land Sea and Sky site.

TakahashiAmerica.com
Click on accessories
Click on ccd adapters
examples:
TCD0012 13.7mm
TCD0012STL 18.7mm
TCD0018 29.7mm
etc.

#11 orbiter

orbiter

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Yes, thank you for my oversight, most have dimensions, maybe I can figure this out myself

#12 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

And if there is no spacer of the correct dimension ? Precise parts can make one! great people to deal with. Also if you are using filters? adjust the metal length for them.
see this chart (bottom of page lower right for how much to adjust metal length, ( you add to the metal length the amount shown for filter thickness)
web page
Also Baader T-thread spacer washers can be used to add sub mm lengths if you are using T-thread) Sometimes nice to setup without filter length and use a removable washer /spacer .
Rex
PS before you buy/make a spacer? talk to Art at TNR (his website is very out of date - these guys are in their seventies, not computer geeks!, he may already have the needed spacer and information)?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics