Photo

Samsung SCB2000 (SDC 345) or SCB2004 camera?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Dom543

Dom543

Mariner 2

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

Pat,

I am sure that you will have lots of fun with it.
My most frequently used setting is
Shutter=x128 (2 sec)
AGC=LOW
You will be amazed how much the camera allows to see at such a short exposure. (With LP filter a bit longer exposures are needed.)

Have fun!
--Dom

#27 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Vanguard

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

G'day Pat, there is a mountain of information on the SCB-2000 (also called the SDC-435) in this Forum:

Filter Removal: http://www.cloudynig.../Number/3713996

and 19 other handy links for your camera: http://www.cloudynig...ber/4379862/...

#28 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: ITALY

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Dom and James for helping me, I hope to enjoy using this nice camera. I'm waiting for the C Adapter ... and I will start my tests. I have to put out the ir cut filter but I've just seen that it's not so hard to do.

Best

Pat

#29 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

Next week I will start working on the camera but I have to found a way to bring my camera outside and do what I have to do without any computer or laptop. I mean:
Is there a system to capture images and videos from the camera directly to an external device without using a capture card connected to a pc, I'm going to bring it outside, telescope and camera in a tent, I was thinking of a small object like the one I have at home and in figure, and that is a small dvr with sd memory and maybe using a tablet (maybe with an ASUS Windows 8 Tab or Microsoft Surface could be possible) or in some way to view what I want to save or not...

They talk about something I have in mind here:
http://febon.blogspo.../2012/02/1.html

and here:

http://febon.blogspo...ersion-has.html

I think it will be possible also with a Video Composite to Hdmi adapter but not sure if it could be possible to use tablet hdmi port as input.

Or just a video encoder like samsung
SAMSUNG SPE-101 compact encoder

I know, it's easier to bring an old laptop but I prefer to bring a Tablet where I have also SkySafari installed :)
Best

Pat

Attached Files

#30 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

GOOD NEWS, Promptly I received an answer from Andy, FEBON Blogger:

http://febon.blogspo.../p/contact.html

I think it's very interesting for our purpouse

ANSWER WAS:

Hi Pat

1. CCTV Camera connect to samsung TABL10.

you can use FEBON100 UVC CVBS grabber card.

it will let CVBS analog video become uvc and into your samsung TAB 10.

Before you buy, you must check if your samsung tab10 have uvc driver.

you can do the experiment.

please connect usb webcam into your samsung tab10

if it work on your samsung tablet, febon100 will also work.

2. Composite video to encode via ethernet

This is way is ip base method.

you can also use my product.

FEBON100UVC CVBS grabber card+ FEBON220 UV WIFI AP ROUTER = febon video server with wifi and ap router.

FEBON video server can broadcast int 10 android / ipad/ iphone at the same time.

we will also have andorid / iphone app.

FEOBN vdieo server is MJPEG ONLY...

http://febon.blogspo...ser-manual.html

https://www.youtube....h?v=2nd-WMbXUbo

Best regards,
Andy Tzeng

=====================
SUNRIASE CO., LTD
Sales manager
ANDY TZNEG

#31 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Next week I will start working on the camera but I have to found a way to bring my camera outside and do what I have to do without any computer or laptop. I mean:
Is there a system to capture images and videos from the camera directly to an external device without using a capture card connected to a pc, I'm going to bring it outside, telescope and camera in a tent, I was thinking of a small object like the one I have at home and in figure, and that is a small dvr with sd memory and maybe using a tablet (maybe with an ASUS Windows 8 Tab or Microsoft Surface could be possible) or in some way to view what I want to save or not...

They talk about something I have in mind here:
http://febon.blogspo.../2012/02/1.html

and here:

http://febon.blogspo...ersion-has.html

I think it will be possible also with a Video Composite to Hdmi adapter but not sure if it could be possible to use tablet hdmi port as input.

Or just a video encoder like samsung
SAMSUNG SPE-101 compact encoder

I know, it's easier to bring an old laptop but I prefer to bring a Tablet where I have also SkySafari installed :)
Best

Pat

Pat similar discussion on miniDVR is here in CN.

Always check which encoding method is used. You don't want to see too much degradation there. MPEG4 is popular in miniDVR (but not great for still astro video segments.)

BTW, that Samsung gadget is using H.264 compression then send it over IP.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#32 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

GOOD NEWS, Promptly I received an answer from Andy, FEBON Blogger:

http://febon.blogspo.../p/contact.html

I think it's very interesting for our purpouse

ANSWER WAS:

Hi Pat

1. CCTV Camera connect to samsung TABL10.

you can use FEBON100 UVC CVBS grabber card.

it will let CVBS analog video become uvc and into your samsung TAB 10.

Before you buy, you must check if your samsung tab10 have uvc driver.

you can do the experiment.

please connect usb webcam into your samsung tab10

if it work on your samsung tablet, febon100 will also work.

2. Composite video to encode via ethernet

This is way is ip base method.

you can also use my product.

FEBON100UVC CVBS grabber card+ FEBON220 UV WIFI AP ROUTER = febon video server with wifi and ap router.

FEBON video server can broadcast int 10 android / ipad/ iphone at the same time.

we will also have andorid / iphone app.

FEOBN vdieo server is MJPEG ONLY...

Pat,

Devils are always in the details....

Android has very limited USB-video drivers. This include UVC driver. Then you have to ind the proper software to handle the full rate, uncompressed video stream (AFAIK: none), then you have to check if your Android device's ARM processor and underlying architecture can support the load. Streaming video thru a general purpose processor is not a niche of Android (or IOS) tablets, only limited codecs are supported and not in isochronous transfer mode. Use a PC you'll be much happier.

P.S. different topic should use a different thread.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#33 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

Understood ccs_hello, maybe you are right, android devices with ARM Processors are not designed for video or image proccessing, maybe a pentium 4 old laptop do better of course. I would like to find a way to use less devices far from my house. A Telescope, a Samsung SCB camera, adapter interface and a Tablet (running SkySafari...), now I have to think to bring a laptop computer. I wanted to avoid doing so but since the other devices of good quality like the Samsung Cam for a best results maybe the way is one only. However, I still have to buy a capture card and I can see using it on a tablet doing the same tests.

Best

Pat

#34 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Pat,

Some of the inexpensive webcams (about $10) are UVC webcams. Just buy one, add a USB powered hub (a lot of Androids do not supply enough power to supply the external USB device), get an OTG cable, plug the cam in, and wait for disappointment.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#35 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

Hi
arrived yesterday C mount adapter for 1.25 for my telescope BUT it's not good. The diameter of the attack to the camera (the threaded portion) is not the same but smaller!
I thought it's was standard but now I cannot screw it to my SCB2000 Samsung Camera. Or am doing something wrong?

Which diameter (camera side) is good for SCB 2000 ?

In the picture below, there is what I received yesterday, C mount adapter 1.25 made of aluminum.

Best

Pat

Attached Files

#36 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Pat,

That is the correct adapter for a Samsung security camera or any other C mount camera. The small end (exposed male threads) of the adapter should thread into the opening on the front of the camera (remove any camera lens that's in place). Take a close look at the threads on the inside edge of the opening on the camera and the threads on the adapter. Make sure that there isn't any damage.

The other side, or the inside of the barrel of the adapter (the famale or inside threads) are 1.25" filter threads. You can mount most eyepiece filters or 1.25" focal reducers to those threads.

#37 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

All is OK, I disassembled a chrome metal part that was screwed to the lens and left attached to the camera Now everything is OK, I put my camera in place of the eyepiece.

On picture, my equipment :)

Thank you

Pat

Attached Files

• XRinger likes this

#38 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

Can I use a Meade Telecompressor Multi-Coated that I own and that I remained of the old telescope as a focal reducer? How can I attach to the camera, maybe I have to remove first, the chrome ring of the SCB 2000 and put in the middle this telecompressor and after the C Mount adapter. Is it right?

My Meade Telecompressor Multi-Coated separated into two parts after it has been unscrewed on picture:

Attached Files

#39 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

Now I have to find a good Video Grabber that must be compatible with Windows 7 / 8 and with good quality. I read about one with an Empia 2860, but when I found this, It seems to me but am not sure that it's not compatible with Windows 7.
I have at home in a tray that I don't use for years a Pinnacle Studio Movie Box Deluxe 9, maybe
maybe is more useful for my purpose instead of some small usb chinese grabber gadgets...

http://media.ldlc.co...D0000461146.jpg

Best

Pat

#40 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Pat,

That telecompressor is a focal reducer.
On a F.R., there is the mechanical coupling part and optical arrangement part, both have to be taken care of.

First, a F.R. requires its lens be arranged to be close to the image plane to avoid overly excessive reduction which causes severe vignetting. Such issue may not even be the primary issue, since excessive reduction ratio requires significant inward focus movement in which many telescope OTA cannot do in the first place. It means, cannot reach infinity focus in the first place, let along other issues.

On mechanical part, proper thread is needed to tight couple components together. It seems to me your F.R. may have a 1.25" thread, which can potentially be connect to your C-to-1.25" adapter's 1.25" end.
On the other hand, your C-to-1.25 adapter seems to be very long which means FR to image place distance may be excessive. This can be a major problem.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#41 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Pat,

Pinnacle Studio Movie Box Deluxe version 9 was marketing in 2004 or 2005. Information is sketchy.
I doubt you can find Win7 or 8 driver for it. (I even doubt Win XP driver is available.)

Please note some devices in that era have internal built-in, non-removable hardware MPEG compression engine in it to reduce the PC workload. In such case, thru USB it only delivers MPEG (either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, many are just MPEG-1) compressed streaming video. This is less desirable.

There are many threads in this forum discussing video capture dongles. I'd suggest take the known paths and no need to dig up the old stuff from the old pile.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#42 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks cc_hello for infos

Unfortunately Meade Telecompressor that I own. cannot be inserted on the eyepiece place of my telescope, it seems to have the same diameter but is bigger. It comes with a T adapter but it's for a 2'' SCT, I had from my 8'' Meade SCT that I sold. I can use it without the T Adapter but I need other adapter to connect to C-Mount or to my ETX Telescope.

I knew with Focal reducer we could get smaller images but brighter objects and for a wider field of vision for DSO...

I found a nice guide here:
http://ballaratman.w...!eqipment/c10mq

and some tests here:
http://karmalimbo.co...led Look At ...

For the Pinnacle Movie Box Deluxe I found drivers for Windwos 7 here:
http://cdn.pinnacles.../readmeHW10.htm

But I have to test if it will work really. The only good thing is that it was a great device some years ago and also now they sold at about 100$ on Amazon... but maybe a little USB one could be more friendly to use on portable mobile use with a laptop. I have also to power it at 12V, another power supply for it... USB Grabber don't need an external power supply.

I saw a lot of USB Grabber devices (most chinese) at low price on ebay but are really god for me?

Best

Pat

#43 Dom543

Dom543

Mariner 2

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Pat,

On the Astro-Video Systems website http://www.astro-video.com/ you can find both a "1.25" Variable Focal Reducer" and a "HD USB Capture Device". Those were specifically selected for the purposes of video astronomy and are reasonably priced. You can also get help to get started and support later from AVS.

--Dom

#44 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

What about an HDMI Low Cost Video Grabber like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com...BS1lzD/$_12.JPG

or better and portable up to 60fps:

DVI2USB 3.0

Video Grabber HD (1920×1200/1920×1080) from HDMI, DVI, or VGA at 60 frames per second over USB 3.0.

DVI2USB 3.0 is self-powered through the USB port and requires no external power source.

EPIPHAN DVI2USB USER GUIDE

and before this, an AV2HDMI:

http://i01.i.aliimg....to-HDMI-Adap...

In my opinion is better to transform analogic video signal of my SCB 2000 Samsung cam promptly to digital signal in order to transfer to a PC or Laptop good for outside operations...

Maybe the quality of video could be better than analogic video grabbers

The problem is one: price is high :(

Best

Pat

#45 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Pat, If you are taking video from an analog camera with a CVBS output and all you are doing is displaying it on a PC there's doesn't seem to be a need for any of those HD converters.

In either case (HD or regular video frame grabbers) you are taking the PAL CVBS video frames and putting them inside USB packets using an A:D converter and then putting those USB packets in a PC file format (AVI for example).

Since you are starting out with CVBS video there doesn't seem to be any need for HD formatting. CVBS video doesn't look any better inside an HD video frame displayed on a PC.

Plus it doesn't make any sense to me to take a $70 (USD) camera and connect it to a $650 frame grabber when a $20 one will do the same job.

Interesting to see those HD frame grabbers, now if we can just get nice sensitive astronomy oriented cameras with HDMI out.

#46 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Hi Mark

The interest in these HDMI devices stems from the fact that I have a good Hdmi videosender at home and I also thought about connecting the transmitter to the AV2HDMI output that is connected to the BNC plug connector of the Samsung Camera. I wanted to bring home a digital signal ready for following processing.

You say that:

"Plus does it make any sense to me to take a $ 70 (USD) camera and connect it to a $ 650 frame grabber When a $ 20 one will do the same job".

But I have to say that the camera at $ 70 (in my case 80 euro, bought few days ago) is a decent camera for our purposes (after removing the IR cut filter, that I've already done) but I think personally that the USB grabber for $ 20 is a very low quality device (I read several reviews of people who use it to bring VHS tapes on DVD or PC). I don't want to have a good video if, then will be degrade in quality due to a poor usb video grabber.

Ok $ 650 for an hdmi grabber seems to me excessive, however this is due to the fact that are new items on the market and I think they will decrease soon in price, maybe in few months. However, I believe that there are also medium price and quality devices that are in between, perhaps built by other companies.

Other possibilities as you said before, are Samsung (or other brands) hdmi cameras and of course this can help a lot but are very expensive. In this case I prefer to use a DSLR like Sony A7S or a Panasonic GH3/GH4 that have the possibility to do all from the camera and save the results without the aid of a PC or laptop. Ok I know they are different things and different way to do... and I can not debate for my inexperience. Others can do here.

What I would like is to find the best quality at a reasonable price.

Best

Pat

#47 TropixSky

TropixSky

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: El Salvador

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Hi Pat,

The output of the SCB2000 is analog signal so you can´t improve the resolution changing it to digital. I instead advice you to invest in a good usb video grabber (analog input) with good compatibility because you will need to pair it with software capture software and not all of them are compatible. There are some open source software like sharpcap and there are others not free like miloslik or astrolive that give you better options like live stacking and dark frame removal options wich will help you a lot in getting sharper images of DSOs.

Mario

#48 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

Pat,

Good points.

Many of the popular USB frame grabbers aren't really that bad hardware wise. The 28xxx based units do a pretty good job reproducing the CVBS video frames. What isn't very good for low light images is much of the bundled capture software that is used for converting video tapes and such.

Using some of the popular astronomy oriented capture software (SharpCap, WXastrocapture, etc.) works well for many folks (myself included). A step up might be the AstroLive software (not free) that includes stacking and more extensive astronomy oriented image manipulation tools. What AstroLive won't do for you Pat is also control your camera.

#49 patrizioitalian

patrizioitalian

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

Hi Mark and Mario

Yes problem could be compatibility with sofware that I hadn't thought so I had to go with an analogic USB video capture, Otherwise these devices are unusable.
Mark, I saw a

Logilink USB Grabber

and

EzCAP 116 USB Red Box Edition

Which one is more useful in your opinion? and which are The 28xxx based units that I don't find on the net? But I found one with Empia EM2860 chipset and other with Philips SAA7113 chipset.

Best

Pat

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics