Photo

SkySafari 4 - saved settings... can you....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

I set up different settings for my different scopes/binos. Basically it changes the drawn FOV circles and the flipping based on the viewing device.

I have:
finder/telrad mode
18" dob mode
C11 mode
binocular mode

But of course in the saved settings it remembers where in the sky I was pointing. I really want to be able to switch between settings without losing my place (for example going from finder mode to 18" dob mode as I begin to look in the eyepiece.

Is there a way to do that? I tried removing the parts of the xml file that set the FOV pararms, but then that just reverts to a default position.

Hoping there is a solution!

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

But of course in the saved settings it remembers where in the sky I was pointing. I really want to be able to switch between settings without losing my place (for example going from finder mode to 18" dob mode as I begin to look in the eyepiece.

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but you can do that by using the drop down menu that appears when you tap the upper right corner. There are 3 user defined circles that can be turned on or off without losing your spot.

Eric

#3 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Hey, that is neat... didn't know about that. That might be better than what I am doing. Will have to look into it more

But I changed more than just the orientation and the reference circles, I was also doing things like changing the number of stars visible and that sort of thing. I was talking about switching between saved settings.

So going to my "18 eyepiece" setting flips it horizontally, vertically, sets the FOV circles to my 30mm, 18mm and 11mm eyepieces and also sets the stars mag to 12.

Switching to my "18 finder" setting turns off the flips, set the FOV circles to the telrad and sets the star mags down to 7.2.

And that works great... it just also moves me around in the sky to the place I was looking when the settings were saved.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics