Celestron 5 for $150!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:16 PM

Found a deal on CL. He mentioned the electronics weren't working so I took a gamble on a Nexstar 5. It came in a hard case with the red dot finder, diagonal, 25mm plossl and 10mm Kelner eyepiece, but no tripod. So offered $150 and he took it.

Turns out the black wire on the battery pack had come off. I had my Celestron power pack from my C11 so tried that and it worked! Tried to do a fake alignment and the altitude moved fine. But the azimuth motor was whirring but not doing anything :(

So I took it apart to see what was happening. Looks like the set screw that holds the gear on the motor is either stripped or just loose. The allen keys I have don't fit the set screw so I'll have to get one that fits and see if that works. Hopefully it's as simple as tightening it and I'll be back in business. If not I can either replace the screw or find another way to attach the gear and have it working again!

Anyone in the Phoenix area have a Nexstar tripod they don't need? :D

#2 orion61

orion61

Skylab

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

sounds like a great deal! Those had great optics!
I love the Orig. nexstars, what they lack in features they make up for in smooth motion and quiet slewing...

#3 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

If the AZ driver gear uses the same set screw as the AL assembly then you need a 1.5mm hex wrench.

#4 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

If the AZ driver gear uses the same set screw as the AL assembly then you need a 1.5mm hex wrench.

1.5mm is a bit too big and they didn't have anything smaller at Lowes. So ordered a small hex set from Amazon with .7, .9 and 1.3. One of those should fit! Now just have to wait a week until that comes in!

Anxious to see if the rest works, but it's looking good now. I soldered the battery wire back on, so it should run on batteries again.

Oh also I have a hair stuck on the inside of the corrector. Trying to figure out a way to get it out... maybe a qtip taped to a chopstick?

#5 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

The next one smaller in my set is 1.27mm.

The Q-Tip idea should work OK. The grocery store has skewer sticks that are 12" long.

#6 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Still thinking about tripods....

Are the bolt holes for the Nexstar 5 the same as the newer SE versions? What about for the CPC series? I did find a heavy duty CPC tripod but it's $200. It might be overkill, but it sure would be solid!

Was thinking of buying a solid tripod like this and drilling holes to bolt the mount onto.

http://phoenix.craig...4534482554.html

Or the Meade ETX version, but I don't think it's wide enough to bolt the nexstar mount onto!
http://phoenix.craig...4533448465.html

Any other type of tripod I could look for on CL that I could put the mount on and be stable?

#7 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

The the 4/5 SE, 6/8 SE and CPC mounts use 3/8-16 bolts on a 3.25" radius circle. My C5 is on an 8 SE mount on a CPC tripod.

The attachment is a full scale drawing of the CPC bolt pattern.

Attached Files

#8 UncleMossy

UncleMossy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Downtown Toronto

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Make sure that your bolts aren't too long if you are making your own tripod plate.
The drive gear passes over the bolt holes in the base and will foul if they are too long.
Or at least that's the way it is on the 8SE.
Slew around until the gear is over one of the holes and get a safe depth that way.
You got a nice deal there, good luck with the tripod.

Jim

#9 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

barbarosa:

Thanks for the bolt hole pattern/template. That will come in handy if I go to buy a tripod.

UncleMossy:

Thanks for the reminder about the bolt depth. I saw that the holes were quite shallow and the bolts could poke through when I had it apart to check out the drive gear.

#10 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

The N5 used the same mount as the N8. The 5SE uses the updated N4GT mount. So anything that works with the 6/8SE will work with the N5. My frist "real" scope was a orange C8 with a wedge, all mounted on a Nexstar 5/8 tripod. Those bolt centers have remained the same for years!

The pluses of the N5 are the great optics and the Pittman motors. The downside is limited repair options if the electronics go south. I have one with lots of miles on it that I have to tear down and adjust the spur gear lash, but otherwise it's great.

If you find that the Az spur gear has been stripped, I have some spares. Also have one or two N5/8 tripods. PM me if interested. BTW, I was organizing gears and discovered that the manual AZ spur gear used in the old AC powered Celestron mounts has the same diameter and tooth count as the N5/8 Az gear. Guess they didn't even have to change the gear machining set up to make 'em. Wounder if the mount design was built around the existing gear stock?

#11 austingonzo

austingonzo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

I have an original N5. My main complaints are 1) documented tendency for runaway slew, 2) handset is not upgradeable, 3) no ports for accessories. I like the focuser and the optics and it makes for a good GNG solution as long as you choose your targets well. It's also not as "smart" as the ETX-90, so it will permit you to select targets below the horizon.

#12 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hex keys came in and result! Tightened the gear and it seems to be working. Did fake alignment and it appeared to work. Looked through in daytime and optics look sharp. Just need to get it under the stars and try it out!

Thanks for all the help.

(Still need a tripod for it, but one thing at a time).

#13 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

One other thing... it has the orion deluxe finder scope (v1, not v2), but there appears to be no way to mount it on the telescope as far as I can see. The C5 has the smaller dovetail mount and the Orion finder has the reverse style dovetail and it's bigger. I didn't find any adapters in the case either.

Here's the v2 of the finder, but it's similar:
http://www.telescope...roductId=102396

Guess I need something like this to mount it on the scope?
http://www.telescope...Base/p/7215.uts

Or I might just get a cheap one like this for the C5 and mount the Orion to my C11! :D
http://www.adorama.c...ABEiQASqRd-o...

Is there something I'm missing on how it can mount to the scope?

#14 austingonzo

austingonzo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

Kevdog, that should do the trick.  I purchased one of those shoes for my scopes when I wound up with an EZ Finder Deluxe through my used equipment purchases.

Best,

austingonzo

Edited by austingonzo, 19 August 2014 - 12:35 PM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics