Anybody else enjoying their .965 eps?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#51 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

These are the workhorses. Back row: Optica b/c 12.5mm ortho, 10x, 15x,20x Unitron microscope eyepieces, Celestron 18mm Kellner, unbranded 25mm Kellner

Front: 4mm Tani, 5mm Vixen, 6mm Bertele, 6mm UO, 7mm Celestron (Vixen), 9mm Tani

Way back: 7.5-22.5 Circle CK zoom.

Attached Files

#52 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

These GOTO are excellent. Simple Huygens date back to the 1660's. In the right scope they can be marvelous like a Edmund 4"f15. Eyepieces are like a box of chocolates you just never know until you bite into one.

Attached Files

#53 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

ewwww!! how you gonna clean all that lemon marshmallow fluff from the other EP and the finder????

#54 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

I made the finder and and sun filter invisible, I thought I did a pretty good job. I'm also pretty good at automotive body work.
:question: :john: :troll:

#55 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

Robert, you might want to stick with heating and cooling for now. :lol:

I recently enjoyed one of my favorite eps to such an extent that i dropped it out on my gravel driveway. The glass survived but the brass took a beating. Oh well so much for cosmetic condition.

Attached Files

#56 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Vanguard

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Just got in from a memorable Saturn imaging & viewing session, which vindicated my devotion to Orthos in long refractors - the Meade (Tani) .965's provided stunning views in less than perfect seeing. Contrast increased without the diagonal, and I'm pretty sure I saw 2 - maybe 3 - of the fainter moons, but haven't checked the ephemeris yet. Love this old glass!! And so does my wife: I'd been out about an hour, and she came to make sure I hadn't fallen in the pool. She saw Saturn on the screen, and after oooo'ing & awwww'ing, asked about the gap in the rings, and why it would appear & disappear. I pointed at the sky to the gathering clouds & haze. Now she gets why I fuss so much...

#57 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

I sure am! I just completed my Unitron collection.

Top Row: Brass vertical lettering (old series): 25mm H, 18mm K, 12.5mm K, 9mm Symm, 7mm Symm;
Second row: Old series cont., White lettering: 40mm Mono, 25mm H, Brass: 5mm Ortho, 4mm Ortho; Sun Filter, Moon Filter
Bottom Row: White Italic lettering (newer series): 40mm Mono, 25mm R, 18mm K, 12.5mm K, 9mm Symm, 7mm Symm, 6mm Ortho

Thank you John Volk for the new series 7mm Symm and 6mm Ortho. YOu are proof that want ads really do get answered.

Attached Files

#58 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

I threw out several .965s that came with my Sears 60mm (1960s vintage) because after advertising them on astromart cheap for several weeks I had *not one* query. GN

#59 Xephius

Xephius

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Humble, TX. USA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

I think that, like many other things, the interest in them ebbs and flows. I can say that recently I have been contributing to the recent .965 resurgence because my Sears (RAO) used them and the low cost of collecting/purchasing them. I think that it is threads like this that help (re)kindle the interests of some, and helps poke others to empty their closets of the horde and _SHARE_ those unused little guys.... lol ;)

I am very happy collecting the .965 EP's. It is a part of the hobby that I can futz with, not break the bank, and everyone loves to look at them. I am currently looking for a set of Orthos and any older department store sets... Brown Volcano Top Swift set..... Sears... :D

Clear skies,
John

#60 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

I threw out several .965s that came with my Sears 60mm (1960s vintage) because after advertising them on astromart cheap for several weeks I had *not one* query. GN

That's a real shame. My interest in them is recent, or you would have heard from me.

#61 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

I recall giving away several "old" eyepieces, that I had no idea would appreciate in value the way they did. Oh, well, good deed and all, right?

#62 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Speaking of hard to find accessories in the 0.965" category, you don't see these much anymore!

http://www.cloudynig...6627059/page...

#63 Xephius

Xephius

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Wow, that is a fantastic bit of kit... If it is still around in a week or so., you will hear from me. ;)

Chuck, why don't you put that on your C90? No, I am not stalling......

:woot:

#64 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Wow, that is a fantastic bit of kit... If it is still around in a week or so., you will hear from me. ;)

Chuck, why don't you put that on your C90?

What makes you think I haven't? ;)

I have more than one, but only one up for grabs.

#65 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Speaking of hard to find accessories in the 0.965" category, you don't see these much anymore!

http://www.cloudynig...6627059/page...

They work quite well, even in a 50mm scope. It has a nice sharp cut-on and cut-off and really blocks out the 525-625nm range.

#66 Masvingo

Masvingo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

Some lovely eps here, I'ld love to get some of the coloured Sears ones and the Swift ones have a nice style!

I was pleasantly surprised by how good the .965" eps with my Topic (Towa 339) were, especially the HM6mm which I find gives a much nicer view than a later 'Telescope House London' branded 1.25" Ortho 6mm which may or may not be Circle T (I haven't found any marks yet) and a Vixen 7.5mm Plössl. Whilst I have 0.965 to 1.25 diagonal I quite often use the eps that came with the telescope and they compare well to my larger eps.

Some say "H", and some say "HM" and some say "SR." The Kellner I understand because it says "Kellner."

I would agree with Frank on HM being Huygens-Mittenzwey. According to t'interweb the German chemist and amateur astronomer Moritz Mittenzwey (1836–89) modified Huygens design by using a meniscus for the field lens instead of a plan-convex lens.

SR is Symmetrical Ramsden but it seems woth some of these eps you can't really rely on what designation is used - at least some of the SR4mms should be ASR (Alleged Symmetrical Ramsden) or NXSR (Not eXactly a Symmetrical Ramsden) as they don't seem very symmetrical :grin:

#67 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, I had, and gave away, a set of Sears multi-colors, one or two went with each of a few 60's I refurbished and passed on to neighbors a few years ago...... I have one Swift, a 6mm if I remember right, haven't tried it yet to see how it works as compared to a 6mm (T) (my newly invented keyboard logo for circle T) partly because it has a microscopic eye lens..... I'm ashamed to admit that I've done very little scope time this summer, .965 or otherwise..... hopefully, work and other obligations will slow down soon.....

#68 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

SR is Symmetrical Ramsden but it seems with some of these eps you can't really rely on what designation is used - at least some of the SR4mms should be ASR (Alleged Symmetrical Ramsden) or NXSR (Not eXactly a Symmetrical Ramsden) as they don't seem very symmetrical :grin:

Excellent descriptions!

#69 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Vanguard

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

Just got in from a brief vintage EP comparison with the Monolux 4380 (60x910) on Saturn, using Tani Orthos vs Monolux HMs of same FL:

OR12.5 :: HM12.5 --> Almost identical views. Cassini was a slightly sharper black ribbon in the HM; but the disk had a bit more detail with direct vision in the OR, similar views with averted vision.

OR6 :: HM6 --> OR image is significantly brighter - especially the disk, but disk details too close to call.

Overall, the ORs are easier on my eyes, and the wider FOV lets me dodge my floaters better.

Since I like to rotate my scopes, I'll try this again with the Tani's vs the Sears (Royal) colorful 12.5, 9, & 6 HMs.

#70 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

That's a real shame. My interest in them is recent, or you would have heard from me.

I had four of 'em for $7.5 each (all four for $30) including shipping. Some things aren't worth the bother, not going to advertise 'em for six months or a year or two or three.

the truth is I think the interest in these things is extemely thin. Had I gotten an offer of $20 I would have sold 'em. You do need to recover something for packing time and driving them to the post office and shipping.

GN

#71 Xephius

Xephius

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:43 AM

I think that .965 has a reputation for being a junk format by amateurs because they have not seen quality glass in that size. Being forced to use .965 really changes the landscape when looking for EP's. I have thought about, and even ordered the parts, to convert my Sears/RAO to 1.25", but it seems like a loosing proposition.

When looking at a quality Orthoscopic 10mm in 1.25 vs .965, hands down I can get the .965 cheaper if I am willing to wait to find one. While others maybe able to tell the difference between an HM, OR, and R... I am still learning, and this is a really good way to become a bit more familiar with the various EP's....

Back to Bomber Bob....

Do you have the Tasco/Sears K20 in Yellow yet? I am wanting to compare it to the Green Sears/RAO K22.2 on a good viewing night. When I tried them last time, I had mostly poor seeing with windows of ok. I noticed that the Yellow and Green performed very closely. I think the Green had slightly better eye relief and a crisper image edge to edge, but it was very hard to say. I also think that the K20 was slightly brighter but could have been the seeing. Both of these lenses were crushed by the Surplus Shed 25mm Ortho.

John

#72 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

I had four of 'em for $7.5 each (all four for $30) including shipping. Some things aren't worth the bother, not going to advertise 'em for six months or a year or two or three.

the truth is I think the interest in these things is extemely thin. Had I gotten an offer of $20 I would have sold 'em. You do need to recover something for packing time and driving them to the post office and shipping.

GN

And some are just pleased to pass on a scope or parts to a new user without thought of monetary profit,instead deriving satisfaction from the preservation of a classic..Then there is the lost value from no longer having a complete Sears (or other classic) set. One with original box ,paperwork,eyepieces, fetches more than a bare scope!And three or four .965 eyepieces need only a few cubic inches of storage space.

Some of the .965 are surprisingly good although eye relief is typically small.Several old Kellners I have are excellent in the old classic scopes.

#73 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

I think that .965 has a reputation for being a junk format by amateurs because they have not seen quality glass in that size. Being forced to use .965 really changes the landscape when looking for EP's. I have thought about, and even ordered the parts, to convert my Sears/RAO to 1.25", but it seems like a loosing proposition.

When looking at a quality Orthoscopic 10mm in 1.25 vs .965, hands down I can get the .965 cheaper if I am willing to wait to find one. While others maybe able to tell the difference between an HM, OR, and R... I am still learning, and this is a really good way to become a bit more familiar with the various EP's....

Back to Bomber Bob....

Do you have the Tasco/Sears K20 in Yellow yet? I am wanting to compare it to the Green Sears/RAO K22.2 on a good viewing night. When I tried them last time, I had mostly poor seeing with windows of ok. I noticed that the Yellow and Green performed very closely. I think the Green had slightly better eye relief and a crisper image edge to edge, but it was very hard to say. I also think that the K20 was slightly brighter but could have been the seeing. Both of these lenses were crushed by the Surplus Shed 25mm Ortho.

John

I had two of the yellow 20mm Kellners and they were optically a lot like the 22mm, perhaps a bit less sharp and bright. I gave them away to a couple of CNers who wanted complete collections. The colored eyepieces are identical to the non-colored ones. I have sets of both and cannot tell the difference.

#74 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Thank you Charlie! :flower: :flower: :flower:

#75 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

:idea:

I want to make a little chess set from my .965" eyepeices.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics