5 replies to this topic

#1 SteveH

SteveH

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hi,
I am looking at getting either a used pod or a new one. One question that comes to mind is how transportable is an xl3? can it be broken down to fit in a cargo type van to take to a remote site? or is it best to be set up there and left?

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

Steve,

I would ask Wayne on the Skyshed-Pod Yahoo group about the specific dimensions (he also participates here but you'll likely get a quicker response on the Yahoo group).

There are a number of examples of folks transporting a POD that's been broken down in a large pickup truck.

The bays nest within each other (when you remove the sliding shelf), the dome breaks down into 4 segments, and the walls are not very thick so it's actually quite surprising how little space it takes when broken down.

If you do break it down make sure you get a few tubes of Lexel (to seal everything again) and use some mineral spirits to clean all the seams before putting it back together.

Depending on the condition of the used POD I'd also consider buying another strip of the grey L gasket that is used between the dome halves. You'll have to remove a bunch of screws and likely shift things so that they don't go back into the same holes but it will be worth it.

If you do break it down and reassemble it make sure you've watched the assembly videos (on Youtube), they contain very helpful tips.

#3 SteveH

SteveH

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

Mark,
Thanks for the input and insight especially in regards to the seals and weather stripping. I also got a response from Wayne via the Yahoo group and his comments were also quite helpful because he was able to confirm that transport in a panel van wouldn't work because of the size of the pieces.

#4 bogg

bogg

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bruce County Ontario

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

I transported mine (an XL3) from the factory on a 4.5 ft x 14 ft open trailer. I didn't really pack tightly, and had space left over. I think I could have done it with a 10 ft trailer. When I transported mine the dome was not assembled. I believe that if the two halves are left assembled for transport it actually overall would take up less room. As has been said the bays store inside each other and the wall panels seem relatively small. To get an idea of size of parts. On the POD site there are dimensions.

#5 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

Transported mine (no bays) in a short box Chevy full size. The four dome halves nested together and the 6 wall panels standing on their feet inside the domes. If I had bays they would of been placed between the dome halves and the tailgate. Maybe the gate would have to be down, not sure on that. A regular long box, it would not be an issue. I did use my spider hold down that covers everything from corner to corner. Nothing flew away while on the highway.
Pierre

#6 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

SteveH,
I moved mine in a Dakota XLT in one trip. Just break it down into pieces, nest the bays, but left the quadrants intact.
Good Luck.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics