Saturn

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

I intended to make a compilation of several Saturns this summer. What I ended up with is this one rendering done a month ago under Pickering 7 seeing at 246x-303x. I saw more details then recorded here but I wanted to firm them up in successive observations. The trouble is my timing is way off. I should have begun this program back in May and stayed up late to do it. Now the planet is already too low and over rooftops as night falls.

Oh well.

I did want to fill out the A ring better and belting in temperate lats. Too, the crepe was a little rushed here - but i thought thered be more obs. Here it is anyway though...

8" f/9 newt
Pickering 7
200x-303x
Transp: variable.

Pete

Attached Files

• markc2 likes this

#2 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

I guess it's time for me to learn some computer coloring too :D Good sketch Pete

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

Pete, this one is better than your last one. Love the soft hues in the belts and the rings are just amazing. The varied tones of the B ring, the softness of the C ring, and the bright border of the A ring. Beautiful.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Thanks guys.

I used Sketchpad Pro - an app for a tablet. Instead of a mouse I used a stylus - in their respect its easier than using a mouse. The downside is there are things even Gimp2 does that there isn't a single app on the market for Android that can match it. The use of a stylus is great though.
The selection tool like in Gimp or photoshop where u can mark off a region to edit by contrast value doesn't exist in app form. What that means is I have to color right to the edge of the template and not overshoot into black space - which I did profusely and hence much rework cleaning it up.
Its the way going from now on anyway. I kno I did things wrong by being lazy and using copier paper instead of illustration paper and so my paper drawings were always horribly patchy and such. I'm so happy with digital I may not use a pencil even on fine illustration board for astronomy. Ehh I say that now because too lazy to get templates printed on strathmore. Maybe it'll sway me. I'm loving digital rendering though.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I wish the planet was higher in the ecliptic / its such a short season when it hugs the horizon like that.

Norme,

The threadlike inner edge of the A ring was my favorite ring detail. Beyond that I saw the minima shading too but I intended to not record it assuming better seeing and a free night would have happened. So I'm left with an unfinished A ring! Same for Crepe too. I will say this - seeing that fine thread like inner A ring set the time for my appreciating what a formidable task if not impossible, seeing Enckes division. At least in this ring presentation and 7 Pickering - its a hell-no possibility!

Pete

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Pete,

This is a wonderful capture. It is too bad you didn't get a chance to do more but you must be pleased with this one.
Thanks for posting.
Frank :)

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:58 AM

Pete, I was going to mention the missing Enke minimum. If you saw the rings that well, you should have seen it, too.

But, yea, when the view is that crisp, one feels like Enke gap might be visible, too. But it's not so easy in a modest aperture. Hell no.

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Pete,

An excellent observation of Saturn. You have recorded nice detail over the globe and rings. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Regards,
Carlos

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

Thanks Carlos!

Norme, that's just it I DID see the minimum but I wanted follow up observation to trace extent of it . I was gambling on better seeing -

Sometimes you win, sometimes...

Next year ill be more vigilant about late hour obs past midnight. I got to comfortable and confident - now its baking over someone's rooftop!

It happens.

There's a few things missing here actually - falling off of illumination at limbs edge, Enckes minima, crepe is thicker than I put in, the temperate latitude belt was a muddle and I truly wanted to define it better.

Again - thems the breaks, and early observer gets the worm!

Pete

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Pete,

Nice sketch of Saturn :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

Pete, that's a really awesome Saturn observation!

Ed D

#11 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Sure looks nice to me. Nice catch.

#12 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Pete,
Nice work. You're pretty good with that app. Very realistic eyepiece view of Saturn's globe. I don't remember ever seeing that brightness on the inner edge of the A ring. I wonder if it could possibly be a contrast effect?

#13 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. I've seen that inside edge of A as lined with a thread of white whenever the rings open enough and the seeing is 7 Pickering or better. I don't doubt that the black division heightens the effect of contrast but I'm convinced its seen as is just the same. A C14 ought to show this terrifically when the seeing permits. Dave Gray with his 16 regularly records it, albeit, with greater definition.

Pete

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

Michael, yea, we had a discussion on that A ring/Enke minimum. I see the bright inner A ring all the time as well as the Enke minimum. Ivano(?) posted some optical density graphs showing the inner A ring is more dense and thus less transparent. It should reflect more light. Likewise, the Enke minimum appears to be a region of less density and higher transparency thus should be dimmer. I think the effect is very real with a real cause and can be observed. Some argue it's, at least in part, an illusion.

#15 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

Pete,
I did a little research and others have recorded that bright area too. Apparently there are 10 different intensity minima across the A and B Rings but most require steady seeing and pretty large aperture to detect on a regular basis. I've seen the obvious ones but never noticed that brightening at A1-2 that you show in your drawing. I'll have to be more observant (and hope for good seeing).

BTW, where did you get that template? Did you make it?

Norme,
That makes sense that the varying density of the rings would produce different intensities. Thanks for the info.

#16 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Micheal, you're welcome. I always wanted to know of the bright and dark areas of the A ring were illusions or not. I believe they are real. In good seeing, I can observe them (and chastise Pete for not including the Enke minimum) in a 6" aperture. I'd bet you can see them given a reasonable night. I'm pullin' for you, they add beauty to the rings system.

#17 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

Hi Mike,

Are you ready for this? I made a snap shot from my iPhone when I had sky safari open with Saturn as it'd appear in July. I then emailed it to a puter that had gimp2 and I went add it erasing, editing, etc etc. . So you'd think having a template made 6 months ago Id have been on the ball with Saturn. I was too late and so that one color rendering is my best 2014 Saturn. And I desperately wanted to further investigate some features specifically.

That white inner bright edge appears to me in the 8" with enough ring presentation and 7 Pickering or better . It IS subtle. I didn't see it accidentally while sketching the globe - it too proper attention there. Planetary observation is like that for me Ive found. A detail can be seconds of arc away but if its subtle enough and I'm not paying attention ill miss it completely!

Pete

#18 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

very nice Saturn, I have also noticed the bright line in the inner A ring when the rings are wide open with my 6" refractor, very nice sketch again thanks for sharing.

#19 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Pete,
That sounds like a good way to get an accurate template although a little too complicated for someone with my computer skill level. I like to just download ready made ones. :grin: Couldn't find a good one for +21°, tho.

As far as observing Saturn this apparition, you know what they say about the best laid plans... I've made exactly two observations and zero sketches so you're ahead of some of us. :)

#20 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Mike,

Isn't that the way it goes? You see the season coming, you've got your potential plans floating in the back of your mind then before you know the seasons past and your left high and dry!

Ehhh there's next season...

Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics