Photo

Buying a new C14 - does shipping method matter?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas Ashcraft

Apollo

• -----

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

I am looking into buying a new Celestron C14. It is a big investment for sure.

Some US telescope stores offer free economy shipping which I assume to be ground shipping.

Is it worth the substantial extra expense to get something like two-day air and hope to avoid extra handling and bumpy roads?

Or can I trust that the new C14 is well packaged and should survive a week of travel on old US highways?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Thomas

#2 astroricardo

astroricardo

Mariner 2

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

The factory shipping package is quite good, I wouldn't pay extra for expedited shipping.

#3 Brian Carter

Brian Carter

Gemini

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

It will be insured, no worries. But I second the previous post, these things are packaged well. They've already survived the roads in china and a boat ride over the pacific.

#4 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

Go with the standard shipping from the manufacturer. The telescope will be well protected (keep the packaging btw), and it is fully insured by the manufacturer.

Plus expediting it won't help get in a few extra days of using the telescope. The clouds will come out anyways, and may stick around longer to teach you a lesson if they thought you were going to sneak in a few days of fun. ;)
  • Raginar likes this

#5 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:55 PM

I thought the 9.25s 11s and 14s were still made in U.S. but perhaps I am out of date. I would buy a c14 from Company 7. They test that the unit meets spec and when mine arrived in pieces they made good relatively quickly. Incidentally the best way to *receive* a C14 is to ask for pickup at the shipping distribution center. The worst part of the chain is the guy in the truck who comes to your door.

Attached Files

#6 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Whatdaya mean "old US highways"?

The USA has the best cheeseburgers, bar none!

#7 Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas Ashcraft

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like free economy shipping will suffice.

I live in an area of all washboard dirt roads in New Mexico and am at the day's end of a UPS delivery route. Things get pretty shaken up. But...I just learned I can intercept the package at the distribution center so this will be the way to go.

Thanks again.

Thomas

#8 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

I would make a weekend of it and drive over to Starizona in Tucson to pick it up myself. Excellent food in Tucson. And you'd be able to unbox it there to make sure it was okay before you started.

#9 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

I live in an area of all washboard dirt roads in New Mexico and am at the day's end of a UPS delivery route. Things get pretty shaken up. But...I just learned I can intercept the package at the distribution center so this will be the way to go.

Thanks again.

Thomas

Ahh, I am in New Mexico too! Rio Rancho area.

The semi-truck that delivered my 14" LX850 did fine with my dirt road. However, he almost dropped the +400 lb kit out of the back of the trailer - it rolled to the edge! Pretty breath taking to watch!

#10 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

LOL, breathtaking... more like coronary inducing! ;)

#11 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thanks again.

Thomas

The phrase you're looking for is HOLD FOR CUSTOMER PICK UP. I think it can be put on the shipping label. GN

#12 Jwemes

Jwemes

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wickenburg, AZ

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

When I ordered my C-14 from ASTRONOMICS (good dealer), I specified 'hold for customer pickup'. Sure enough, that's exactly what the label said when the UPS guy left it at my house.

#13 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

When I ordered my C-14 from ASTRONOMICS (good dealer), I specified 'hold for customer pickup'. Sure enough, that's exactly what the label said when the UPS guy left it at my house.

When it's done right it doesn't have your address on the label. GN

#14 Benson

Benson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: -6 gmt

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

Never watch a C14 being unloaded from a truck, or sausage making for that matter.

#15 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Never watch a C14 being unloaded from a truck, or sausage making for that matter.

I have seen both, and sausage is nothing compared to watching the driver push the box with your new scope, end over end, across the street and up to your front door.*

Damage tends to happen when a box is loaded or unloaded. UPS has very good auto-loading equipment at their centers, but large boxes are still lumped.

He explained that he did not have time to get out his hand truck and that, in his opinion, a 70 pound box should be sent by motor freight anyway.

#16 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

I thought the 9.25s 11s and 14s were still made in U.S. but perhaps I am out of date. I would buy a c14 from Company 7. They test that the unit meets spec and when mine arrived in pieces they made good relatively quickly. Incidentally the best way to *receive* a C14 is to ask for pickup at the shipping distribution center. The worst part of the chain is the guy in the truck who comes to your door.

All I hear about C7 is very hard to do business with. I would love to have my optics tested before I pick it up. Everthing I've see lately has been *bleep*

Spend $ k's for this is and not have a way to guarantee 1/4~ is ridiculous

#17 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

Hi Thomas:

I just bought one of these used off AM. It is the 2002 version in excellent condition. I am really liking the rear of this C-14. It has those long pieces (ribs?) that protrude (it's late so I'm having a hard time with a description) off the cell. Looks very professional with the two handles also. Even from the front- they put no goofy numbers around the corrector plate. Very nice.

I never liked my old Edge 11's (or the 14) looks from the rear. Too playful. I enjoy looking at this thing in my apartment. The size and color are attractive too.

The weight was a pleasant surprise also. I always read that the C-14 is such a beast but I find it just a bit more difficult to manage than the 11.

You have a real professional-looking, exciting instrument coming, congratulations!

Good luck with it and let us know how it works.

Chris

#18 alrosm

alrosm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

mine was ground shipping from southern to northern California.

One knob under the OTA was broken but nothing very serious.

#19 Craig14

Craig14

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

I bought my C14 HD in May 2014 and used the standard free shipping.  The beast comes in about six boxes via FedEx.  Most boxes are double walled.  Everything was perfect.  Collimation was spot on.  BTW, even thought this scope is huge, it is far more mobile than my old Meade 12 inch fork mount.  This is because the C1400 breaks down into much lighter components.  Once assembled in the field it is rock solid.  I've bumped my head a couple of times on the OTA while observing and nothing moved--Saturn remained in the field of view.  

#20 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

BTW, even thought this scope is huge

The C14 is a small, portable scope.  GN

#21 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:47 AM

Oh yeah.  Make sure you watch the C14 movie link in my signature.  It will save you much grief.  Greg N. 

#22 Benson

Benson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: -6 gmt

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:27 AM

The C14 is about as easily handled as a stud bull for the average person. Yes, it weighs little more than an ACF 12". But, I don't see many people claiming that's a grab and go scope.

#23 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

The phrase you're looking for is HOLD FOR CUSTOMER PICK UP. I think it can be put on the shipping label. GN

It's just as easy to log on to the carrier Web site, pur

#24 TG

TG

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Latitude 47

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

It's just as easy to log on to the carrier Web site, put in your tracking number and choose to have the package held at a location of your choice. It obviously won't work if it's already loaded onto the delivery truck.

#25 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Viking 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

The pick up option sounds good to me. I just bought a used Portaball. The guy I bought it from did a fantastic job of packaging. Thankfully!

I met the UPS guy by the curb, but he didn't see me. I saw him alright. He took the package with my Zambuto mirror and tossed the box into the cab! All's well that ends well, but next time I'm either going with another shipper or I'm going to pick up myself.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics