• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#251 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

Well, it looks like the post office lost the Celestron 80mm OTA I recently bought on eBay.  They are promising a report by tomorrow.  Tracking shows that it pretty much dropped off the face of the earth after leaving New York last week.  The seller is furious with the post office.  He's pledged a full refund if it's really lost, wants to keep his 100% rating, but didn't insure the package so it will be a loss for him.  Live and learn!

I once waited 19 days for a telescope to get to me from the east coast, via USPS, but in that case, there was a tracking record of it touring the entire east and deep south before eventually heading west.  In the case of the Celestron OTA, it leaves NY on the 14th and no tracking updates afterwards.

#252 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:55 AM

Chuck, that's bad to hear. Hope your scope eventually turns up. :praying:

Rich (RLTYS)

• DocFinance likes this

#253 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

Oh man!!

#254 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

Somebody got an Ultima Japan Shorty Barlow for $36 on fleabay the other day.  With box.  The deals are still out there, folks.

sorry to hear that Chuck.  They'll probably find it unscathed, eventually.  Of all of them lately I've had the best luck with USPS.

Edited by DocFinance, 23 October 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#255 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:07 PM

I like my DZ Tasco 999VR -- good glass, a sturdy build, and lots of cool accessories.  After I removed the annoying baffle, it's great for star fields & clusters.

How did you remove the baffle?

#256 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Well, it looks like the post office lost the Celestron 80mm OTA I recently bought on eBay.  They are promising a report by tomorrow.  Tracking shows that it pretty much dropped off the face of the earth after leaving New York last week.  The seller is furious with the post office.  He's pledged a full refund if it's really lost, wants to keep his 100% rating, but didn't insure the package so it will be a loss for him.  Live and learn!

I once waited 19 days for a telescope to get to me from the east coast, via USPS, but in that case, there was a tracking record of it touring the entire east and deep south before eventually heading west.  In the case of the Celestron OTA, it leaves NY on the 14th and no tracking updates afterwards.

Bad.  Don't give up the ship, though, they usually show up after a week or so.  Probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere.  Could be worse--it could be the lost AP that a guy over in the refractor forum is dealing with.

#257 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

Good news.

The 80mm Powerseeker showed-up today, out of the blue.  The box was pretty beat-up, but the telescope was unscathed.  I was watching the eclipse from the backyard when it arrived, so I quickly tried it out on the sun (Baader & TO filters) as well as some distant terrestrial targets.  Very good, sharp image, uncorrected color was difficult to detect; there was a fringe around the solar disk in the Baader view, however.  It's about the same physical size as my Orion 100mm ED, so it may not get used much, but I wanted to see what all the praise was about in Duane's thread.  Not bad.  Not bad at all, especially when you consider I only paid twenty-five bucks for it.

The postman also brought me a Tasco 6TE-5 today.  Complete, in need of some minor refurbishment, but the objective is pristine.  I just love 50mm scopes!  It came in the original box, although it's not really a "box" anymore as much as a vaguely rectangular mass of battered, stained, torn cardboard.  Looks like it survived Katrina.  Barely.  This little scope just oozes charisma. 

I just installed a wall rack in the basement for refractor OTAs, freeing up some much needed shelf and worktable space.  I'm actually getting organized for the first time since my divorce 4 years ago.  The Celestron OTA is already in the rack.  The Tasco just might get displayed on it's little table-top tripod.

Pics in the near future.

• rcwolpert, choran, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#258 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:38 PM

Got to play with the little 6TE-5 tonight.  That is one sharp objective.  Came with the full complement of eyepieces, the HM6mm, 12.5mm, & 20mm, all plated brass, nice and heavy.  Standard Tasco metal-housed prism diagonal.  Even the little finder crosshairs are intact!  And it's almost too cute for words.

It's too bad the table-top tripod/yoke mount is not well-suited to celestial purposes.  Very akward at elevations higher than about 50 or 60 degrees.  "Tasco's Hole", if you will.  ;)

Terrific terrestrial mount, though.  Meant for the hood of the car, I'm guessing.  If I remember, I may take it to work with me tomorrow and see what it does on Jupiter at 5 AM.

Oh, and I came up with at least a temporary solution for the eyepiece holder on the SPI 60mm f/20.  It now sports a set-screw instead of crimping eyepiece holder.  Pics this weekend.

• terraclarke, rcwolpert, choran and 1 other like this

#259 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Vanguard

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted Yesterday, 08:22 AM

Very akward at elevations higher than about 50 or 60 degrees.

I'll try to get pictures of my solution:  I rest the tripod on the round dome of my Weber grill, and rotate up / down to get the near-zenith views!

• Chuck Hards likes this

#260 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted Yesterday, 08:30 AM

I can visualize it, JW.  A take on the sphere mount, pretty clever actually.

I also thought about setting a steel pole in concrete in the yard, with a hole in a top plate to match the azimuth stud on the bottom of the yoke.  The eyepiece height doesn't change much from horizon to zenith, with this little scope.

• Bomber Bob likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics