• Please log in to reply
566 replies to this topic

#551 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

You are definitely not a dummy.  Don't thank me.  Thank Sam Brown.

#552 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:19 AM

Chuck, that's a nifty little scope, good luck with it.  :waytogo:

Rich (RLTYS)

#553 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:26 AM

Thanks Rich.  40mm scopes are definitely a niche part of the hobby.  While you can see quite a few objects with them, only the moon and sun are seen well.  Mostly they are just cute as the dickens.  And it's rare to find one in almost-new condition.

• terraclarke likes this

#554 G.Richard

G.Richard

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

Congrats on your beautiful little scope and what a great find. It looks a lot like my 1962 4VTE and I too was surprised by the image quality. I would have loved to have one of these when I was 12.

#555 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thanks Gary, I was hoping you'd appreciate it, especially.  I had no idea it was so pristine.  The auction pics weren't very good.  

#556 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:11 PM

This week I lucked into a deal I couldn't pass up.  Old Vixen made Celestron 80mm/910mm refractor, alt az mount, slo motion controls, diagonal, and a vixen silver top and vixen ortho, accessory tray, tupperware tray, finder, all for the sum of $75.  Only issues were a little rust on some bolts, which I've already dealt with.  Glass is great, mount has been disassembled and cleaned out, and works very smoothly.

I'm considering replacing the acorn nut/nut assembly for the alt motion with a machine star knob of some sort once I determine the bolt diameter and thread.  If anyone happens to have this information, I'd appreciate it.

I've only been able to test the scope outside during daylight so far, but the results are great at this point.  Nice newton rings, super sharp on my test power pole "High Voltage" sign about a mile away.  So far so good!

Attached Files

Edited by choran, 23 January 2015 - 02:40 PM.

• rnabholz, photiost, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#557 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

Congrats Chuck and Chuck on both the 40 and the 80 mm scopes. They are a pair of beauties. Those Vixen 80mm F11 objectives are killer lenses.
  • photiost likes this

#558 photiost

photiost

Apollo

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

This week I lucked into a deal I couldn't pass up.  Old Vixen made Celestron 80mm/910mm refractor, alt az mount, slo motion controls, diagonal, and a vixen silver top and vixen ortho, accessory tray, tupperware tray, finder, all for the sum of $75.  Only issues were a little rust on some bolts, which I've already dealt with.  Glass is great, mount has been disassembled and cleaned out, and works very smoothly.

I'm considering replacing the acorn nut/nut assembly for the alt motion with a machine star knob of some sort once I determine the bolt diameter and thread.  If anyone happens to have this information, I'd appreciate it.

I've only been able to test the scope outside during daylight so far, but the results are great at this point.  Nice newton rings, super sharp on my test power pole "High Voltage" sign about a mile away.  So far so good!

I have a couple of these Celestron firstscope 80 telescopes and optically they are very good instruments.

Congrats and enjoy !!

#559 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Frank and Terra.  I'll do my best!  The only Vixen made scopes I have experience with are this one and a couple of f5 tabletop models.  I must say, I've been impressed by the optical quality in these relatively low-cost entry level scopes.  It has me thinking that at some point or other I may want to try one of the Vixen ED scopes that come up for sale occasionally, but not in the near future.  I'd have to do a bit of research before taking that plunge.

• terraclarke likes this

#560 twhite

twhite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

Thanks Frank and Terra.  I'll do my best!  The only Vixen made scopes I have experience with are this one and a couple of f5 tabletop models.  I must say, I've been impressed by the optical quality in these relatively low-cost entry level scopes.  It has me thinking that at some point or other I may want to try one of the Vixen ED scopes that come up for sale occasionally, but not in the near future.  I'd have to do a bit of research before taking that plunge.

Let me do your research for you.  :-)

If you have an opportunity to buy one of the Vixen-made Fluorite doublets, just do it.  Don't ask questions. You'll thank me later.  The Celestron branded 102F, 90F and 80F are all superb.  I've heard lots of good about the 70F but never owned or had the opportunity to observe through one.  There was a smaller one too -- 55mm, if memory serves.  The 102F I have is my 'keeper' scope.  I'd sell my TMB152 before I sold it.  That doesn't mean that the 102F is better than that TMB, mind you -- but it does mean that the 102F is *that good*.  The later 102F (f/9 rather than f/8.8, or 920mm fl rather than 900) that was sold by Orion is good but not as good as the one sold by Celestron, in my opinion.  Also known as the FL102S, I believe.

The VX102ED I have is also a very, very good scope.  I haven't had as much opportunity to work with it so far as I'd like, but what I have done with it so far has been very, very pleasing.  It's a great instrument in itself.  My plan for it is to do DSLR imaging.  Just haven't gotten to it yet.

And you're already familiar with the 80mm and 60mm f/5s.  That 80mm f/11 is a good scope, too.  That one needs to be on an EQ mount (like a Polaris or Super Polaris).  It's a surprlisingly good planetary scope.

Edited by twhite, 23 January 2015 - 03:53 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

#561 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

Wow, Chuck, that is a steal!  Clean, looks brand-new.  :waytogo:

#562 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

Let me do your research for you.  :-)

If you have an opportunity to buy one of the Vixen-made Fluorite doublets, just do it.  Don't ask questions. You'll thank me later.  The Celestron branded 102F, 90F and 80F are all superb.  I've heard lots of good about the 70F but never owned or had the opportunity to observe through one.  There was a smaller one too -- 55mm, if memory serves.  The 102F I have is my 'keeper' scope.  I'd sell my TMB152 before I sold it.  That doesn't mean that the 102F is better than that TMB, mind you -- but it does mean that the 102F is *that good*.  The later 102F (f/9 rather than f/8.8, or 920mm fl rather than 900) that was sold by Orion is good but not as good as the one sold by Celestron, in my opinion.  Also known as the FL102S, I believe.

The VX102ED I have is also a very, very good scope.  I haven't had as much opportunity to work with it so far as I'd like, but what I have done with it so far has been very, very pleasing.  It's a great instrument in itself.  My plan for it is to do DSLR imaging.  Just haven't gotten to it yet.

And you're already familiar with the 80mm and 60mm f/5s.  That 80mm f/11 is a good scope, too.  That one needs to be on an EQ mount (like a Polaris or Super Polaris).  It's a surprlisingly good planetary scope.

Thanks buddy!  I greatly appreciate the information!  When I get a little ahead on the scope fund (it'll be a while) I'll keep an eye our for the Ceestron 102F. Re: the 80 I got, I learned something interesting.  Under the finder scope are two very tiny screws that I assume are used to make adjustments on the drawtube play.  This one had a bit of play in it, but a 1/2 turn of one of the screws straighter it up with no apparent deleterious affect on collimation, per the cheshire.  

#563 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Wow, Chuck, that is a steal!  Clean, looks brand-new.  :waytogo:

Yep, I lucked out.  This one was one Craigslist about 6 days ago, sold in San Diego.  Got to meet a great gentleman in the process. The scope required very little cleanup, just some derusting of bolts and screw heads (I have an abrasive "ball" made out of the stuff they make the 3M strippng pads from--the gray one--that goes in a drill press and is great in removing rust and leaving a nice shiny finish without messing up the part.  The legs were great, just took one coat of danish oil to cover a few scratches.  As for the mount, one piece had rusted through the paint (it's a pressed steel pressed plate that screws on the alt control--it's shown in the photo as being a part with two small screws and one large screw in it, just ahead of the slo motion attachment.  I cleaned it and gave it a quick spray with Rustoleum black hemmer tone finish, the one with the primer additive, and I couldn't believe it, turned out great.  That stuff is a pretty good match, maybe a hair lighter than original, but the texture is identical.  

Collimation is pretty good, but not perfect--two overlapping circles like a figure 8.  No collimation screws on this one, so what it is is what it is.  I'm happy and hope I can get out tonight, but LA shows very good transparency and rotten seeing.  No shadow transits for me, looks like.

Edited by choran, 23 January 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#564 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

I just missed a Tasco 11TEA-2 that sold on ebay this afternoon. Sold in a hurry....well before I could decide to make a best offer or not :(.

This model was REG NO 411300, a seldom seen version from 1964. Predecessor to the Tasco 11TE-5 REG NO 511300.

See http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

With that said, I hope someone here on CN grabbed it. If someone did, please PM me. I'd like to get some more information on the telescope. Very interested in seeing how the Tasco 11TEA-2 instruction sheet differs from the Tasco 11TE-5 model. I have a good idea on the revisions, but would like to confirm if possible.

Edited by Stargoat, 23 January 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#565 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Very nice Chuck.

Love those Celestron/Vixen refractors.

Good for you on the price. That's a steal.

#566 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

Very nice Chuck.

Love those Celestron/Vixen refractors.

Good for you on the price. That's a steal.

Yep, that's what I told the seller, and suggested that he might want to reconsider.  He said he just wanted to be rid of it.  

#567 Spectral Joe

Spectral Joe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Livermore CA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:21 AM

Flea market Zeiss

Made you look!

Seriously, it is a Zeiss, and it is a classic in two ways (and, it's a refractor of sorts). This is a Zeiss Ni I precise level, also known as a tilting level. Classic? Well, it's the first instrument designed by Heinrich Wild for Zeiss' new surveying branch, in Jena, and it dates to 1911. This instrument marked the introduction of many features that revolutionized survey instruments, and are still used in modern instruments. It has a 25mm aperture and the coincidence level vial can be set to 1 arcsecond, although you can only resolve 5.5 arcsec features (you can center to better than that, though). No coatings, of course, but the optics are in good condition and the images are sharp.

Attached File  GEDC1548 (Mobile).JPG   171.26KB   1 downloads

Attached File  GEDC1547 (Mobile).JPG   160.32KB   0 downloads

Found at the Alameda (California) flea market, it was dirty and had clearly not been used in a long time, but was still in calibration when tested. Works just fine.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics