CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
1184 replies to this topic

#1176 A6Q6

A6Q6

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

Hi Bob and Terra, thanks for the info. You got me thinking about The  "triple alliance" of Bausch & Lomb (NY), Saegmuller (also NY), and Zeiss (Germany)". Until your post I never realized what that logo meant.   I have an old B&L Microscope (pat. Feb 16 1897) that does not have the triple alliance logo.  But the eyepiece and brass cases for the objectives do. I also have newer B & L accessories from I think the 20's or 30's that don't have the logo on them either. I have played around with the eyepieces in a telescope but haven't experimented with any of the objectives for projection yet, like some of the old lunar and planetary photographers did.  I don't know what I'm waiting for, I've had this stuff for years.

Attached Files

Edited by A6Q6, 01 July 2015 - 03:20 PM.

• xavier, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#1177 A6Q6

A6Q6

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hope the C5 with the B & L microscope eyepiece keeps all this RELEVANT .

Attached Files

• xavier, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#1178 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Gemini

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 01 July 2015 - 02:47 PM

Until I got that #15 eyepiece pulled out of the scope's focuser, cleaned it, and saw the weird maker's mark, I'd never heard of the Triple Alliance.

Doesn't mean the scope is as old as the EP, but it makes me wonder.  Looks to me like the focuser was made to hold this size EP, or maybe a bit smaller diameter.  Also, the tube interior smells even older than my Tinsley (yeah, I know, very scientific!).

We're going out of town for the 4th, but I'll try to get photos up first of next week.  BIF (Before I Forget):  The focuser rack looks just like a Tinsley 4" refractor, but it's on the outside of the tube.  One more, "I think it's an ATM" clue...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 01 July 2015 - 02:48 PM.

• A6Q6 likes this

#1179 strdst

strdst

Skylab

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

Terra,

Anything like a model number connected with the temperature that books burn according to Mr. Bradbury? 

BTW I like your no more telescope policy better than mine. Nothing here since July last year. I feel like I don't even know my UPS guy anymore. Let some great stuff go un-bid on recently and feel so liberated... NOT!

K

Edited by strdst, 01 July 2015 - 10:31 PM.

• Vesper818, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#1180 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Kentucky Bluegrass!

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

Yes, Exactly the same temperature. It equates with 233 degrees C! ;)

And I thought I was doing so well. I let three go this past Spring! But guess what? They're baaaaccckkkk! Well not the same three, but three none the less! NO MORE TELESCOPES! Keith, we can do this. ;)

Edited by terraclarke, 01 July 2015 - 10:43 PM.

• Vesper818 and Bomber Bob like this

#1181 strdst

strdst

Skylab

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:05 PM

Got one... very, very good choice!

• terraclarke likes this

#1182 BigC

BigC

Soyuz

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Does anyone remember a Mr. Moto? He was a strange little man with a decidedly and remarkable resemblance to Peter Lorre. Anyway, he knocked on my door yesterday and dropped of a telescope that rhymed with his name. he thought I would enjoy adding it to my collection, knowing that I had another one by the same maker. Turns out, Mr. Moto is a detective. Hmmmmm. Well anyway, the telescope is pretty cool. I have to go out of town today but pictures of Mr. Moto's telescope will be posted tomorrow. In the meantime, here is the "package."

the collection that never ends. It is like a drug addiction. It only ends when you get profesional help. However, the withdrawl symptoms are really difficult to endure. Ask any of us who have tried. It is easier just to keep buying telescopes.

One of the plant superintendents who shares my interest in astronomy (but with much less fervor!) recently said "we'll have to put you in therapy if you buy any more telescopes"!!Wonder what the food is like there?

Edited by BigC, Yesterday, 11:59 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#1183 starman876

starman876

Cosmos

• Loc: VA

Posted Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Does anyone remember a Mr. Moto? He was a strange little man with a decidedly and remarkable resemblance to Peter Lorre. Anyway, he knocked on my door yesterday and dropped of a telescope that rhymed with his name. he thought I would enjoy adding it to my collection, knowing that I had another one by the same maker. Turns out, Mr. Moto is a detective. Hmmmmm. Well anyway, the telescope is pretty cool. I have to go out of town today but pictures of Mr. Moto's telescope will be posted tomorrow. In the meantime, here is the "package."

the collection that never ends. It is like a drug addiction. It only ends when you get profesional help. However, the withdrawl symptoms are really difficult to endure. Ask any of us who have tried. It is easier just to keep buying telescopes.

One of the plant superintendents who shares my interest in astronomy (but with much less fervor!) recently said "we'll have to put you in therapy if you buy any more telescopes"!!Wonder what the food is like there?

It is rather bland.  That is why I just buy more telescopes and eat well. 

• terraclarke likes this

#1184 rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Western Washington

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 PM

NO MORE TELESCOPES! Keith, we can do this. ;)

Oh, no. Not here too!

I'm on a dollhouse forum and their mantra is just the same. The same for the model horse forum. I thought no way could people possibly collect telescopes. BEEEP! Wrong answer!

Although, even though I do have just one scope now, I still want the 12" Discovery........................and oh,maybe a refractor or two...

• terraclarke, fjs and Bomber Bob like this

#1185 A6Q6

A6Q6

Apollo

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 08:12 PM

NO MORE TELESCOPES! Keith, we can do this. ;)

Oh, no. Not here too!

Although, even though I do have just one scope now, I still want the 12" Discovery........................and oh,maybe a refractor or two...

"So It Begins"

Theoden

• terraclarke likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics