CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
1334 replies to this topic

#1326 Dartguy

Dartguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville

Posted Yesterday, 08:16 AM

This one is in the ATM forum, but I know[ you guys/gals will enjoy it.

http://www.gumtree.c...arts/1084640156

• photiost, bremms and Bomber Bob like this

#1327 photiost

photiost

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 AM

Looking at image #7, the EQ mount actually does not look too bad  ...

Edited by photiost, Yesterday, 02:24 PM.

#1328 fjs

fjs

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les √Čtats-Unis

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 AM

Is that optimized for viewing the North American Nebula?

#1329 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

Posted Yesterday, 11:45 AM

So sad..

#1330 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted Yesterday, 01:39 PM

Do the chickens come with the scope?

#1331 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Vanguard

Posted Yesterday, 01:43 PM

I bought this Quantum 4 in April from a Craigslist ad in Circleville VA. .  I had to wait till July 19th to receive it . I sent a check to my sister who lives in Fredericksburg   VA. and ask her husband if he would go pick it up for me , Buzz said , " Sure " . Knowing that my sister would be coming back to Ohio to settle the estate of our recently deceased mother , I ask her to bring it back with her , ( NO UPS FOR THIS SCOPE ).....

Since I took  possession on July19 of this month . I had to refinish the case . Polish all the bright work, (polished Aluminum ) knobs , base , and frame work , with Wenol polish and Never Dull wading . Clean and polish all the paint  . Clean all the optics and eyepieces . Replace the AC cord , ( Yeah I know , right style , but wrong color , should be grey ) ,Try to find a vintage grey vacuum cleaner / sweeper cord . Restore the tripod . Basic TLC .

NOT the Screamin' deal that fellow CN'er ..." madeline " ....got earlier this year for his Quantum 4 , $300.00..............BUT......At 2x madeline's cost  $600.00 it was still a STEAL .

I've had " First Light " with it , and had it out several times after , ( weather permitting ) . All that I can say is ........You can believe all the hype about these " little gems " ,....... It's TRUE .

Very nice Tom. What process did you use to refinish the case?

Hi Ken ,

Any how  this how I did it , you may want to differ .

1. First , my case had a thin coat of what I think was a TINTED clear coat sprayed over UN stained mahogany wood from the factory  ( OTI ) ...

2. Take off all hardware , Handle , Hinges , Latches , Skid Buttons , and clean polish and buff to a mirror finish . Mine where all  Stainless Steel so I took the opportunity to Buff Polish to a chrome finish ...

3. Now on to the wood box , Mine was all scratched up so I sanded it with 180 grit and a elec. sander with , <---> action ,  inline not orbital with the grain till all the stock finish and scratches  were removed . Then finished sanded with 220 grit .

Once the stock finish is removed , you will notice the wood lightens up a lot . BTW.......I just refinished the outside of the case .

4. Went to Lowes and bought a pint of Minwax brand .....American Chestnut ....wood stain and a good 2.5 to 3 inch bristle varnish brush . Wipe on stain with a clean rag and wipe off excess to sanded wood surfaces ......AFTER YOU ....blow off and Tack with a tack rag  the sanded surface....... let dry over night.

5. Final Top Coat......I opted for a Satin Varnish top coat........With a slight twist.....I learned this trick long ago , Pour enough varnish into a glass container for the first coat , In this case about 1/2 cup for lid and bottom case . Then add a table spoon of Mineral spirits and stir ........WHY ?......This will eliminate BUBBLES and facilitate a smoother brushed finish .

6. Apply step # 5. and let dry overnight

7. LIGHTLY rub dry first coat with 0000 steel wool   , TACK with tack rag and apply a SECOND coat of Step # 5 again . Let dry over night or at least 12 hours .

8. Finish with a lite rub out with apiece of 0000 steel wool dipped into some Johnson's Paste Wax for wood and BUFF off excess with a soft clean towel .

9. Reattach polished hardware , Hinges , Hasps / Latches  , and Handle and Skid Buttons.

10. :bow: :waytogo:

• rcwolpert likes this

#1332 bierbelly

bierbelly

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sterling, VA

Posted Yesterday, 03:01 PM

I bought this Quantum 4 in April from a Craigslist ad in Circleville VA. .  I had to wait till July 19th to receive it . I sent a check to my sister who lives in Fredericksburg   VA. and ask her husband if he would go pick it up for me , Buzz said , " Sure " . Knowing that my sister would be coming back to Ohio to settle the estate of our recently deceased mother , I ask her to bring it back with her , ( NO UPS FOR THIS SCOPE ).....

Since I took  possession on July19 of this month . I had to refinish the case . Polish all the bright work, (polished Aluminum ) knobs , base , and frame work , with Wenol polish and Never Dull wading . Clean and polish all the paint  . Clean all the optics and eyepieces . Replace the AC cord , ( Yeah I know , right style , but wrong color , should be grey ) ,Try to find a vintage grey vacuum cleaner / sweeper cord . Restore the tripod . Basic TLC .

NOT the Screamin' deal that fellow CN'er ..." madeline " ....got earlier this year for his Quantum 4 , $300.00..............BUT......At 2x madeline's cost  $600.00 it was still a STEAL .

I've had " First Light " with it , and had it out several times after , ( weather permitting ) . All that I can say is ........You can believe all the hype about these " little gems " ,....... It's TRUE .

Very nice Tom. What process did you use to refinish the case?

Hi Ken ,

Any how  this how I did it , you may want to differ .

1. First , my case had a thin coat of what I think was a TINTED clear coat sprayed over UN stained mahogany wood from the factory  ( OTI ) ...

2. Take off all hardware , Handle , Hinges , Latches , Skid Buttons , and clean polish and buff to a mirror finish . Mine where all  Stainless Steel so I took the opportunity to Buff Polish to a chrome finish ...

3. Now on to the wood box , Mine was all scratched up so I sanded it with 180 grit and a elec. sander with , <---> action ,  inline not orbital with the grain till all the stock finish and scratches  were removed . Then finished sanded with 220 grit .

Once the stock finish is removed , you will notice the wood lightens up a lot . BTW.......I just refinished the outside of the case .

4. Went to Lowes and bought a pint of Minwax brand .....American Chestnut ....wood stain and a good 2.5 to 3 inch bristle varnish brush . Wipe on stain with a clean rag and wipe off excess to sanded wood surfaces ......AFTER YOU ....blow off and Tack with a tack rag  the sanded surface....... let dry over night.

5. Final Top Coat......I opted for a Satin Varnish top coat........With a slight twist.....I learned this trick long ago , Pour enough varnish into a glass container for the first coat , In this case about 1/2 cup for lid and bottom case . Then add a table spoon of Mineral spirits and stir ........WHY ?......This will eliminate BUBBLES and facilitate a smoother brushed finish .

6. Apply step # 5. and let dry overnight

7. LIGHTLY rub dry first coat with 0000 steel wool   , TACK with tack rag and apply a SECOND coat of Step # 5 again . Let dry over night or at least 12 hours .

8. Finish with a lite rub out with apiece of 0000 steel wool dipped into some Johnson's Paste Wax for wood and BUFF off excess with a soft clean towel .

9. Reattach polished hardware , Hinges , Hasps / Latches  , and Handle and Skid Buttons.

10. :bow: :waytogo:

Great find!

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#1333 bremms

bremms

Gemini

• Loc: SC

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

You do realize it's in the middle of nowhere in southwest Australia. Right?

#1334 bremms

bremms

Gemini

• Loc: SC

Posted Yesterday, 06:31 PM

New tube and a little love and it might be a good scope for someone there. Bet the skies are really dark. REALLY dark.

#1335 Dartguy

Dartguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville

Posted Yesterday, 06:36 PM

Just go on a little walkabout, it'll buff out.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics