CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
1424 replies to this topic

#1401 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Messenger

• Loc: Florida

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:16 PM

I still have a couple of Soligar lenses for my old 35mm, fine glass...

#1402 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

The Soligor eyepiece & accessory kit.  The printed instructions say that a H12.5mm eyepiece is included, but instead of that, this one came with a H9mm.  Note the "over the eyepiece" sun filter, instead of the later thread-into-the-barrel style.  The star diagonal is a coated prism.  The erector is very much like the type that came with my Asahi Jupiter.

eyepieces%20001_zpsofywgywa.jpg

Here she is, long and lean.  The tripod chain is missing, so I'll have to make a new one, but that appears to be the only missing item. 

008_zpse2uyc66x.jpg

Eyepiece end.  The rack and pinion only has about 2 inches of travel, the coarse focuse drawtube has about 4 inches.  But there is more than enough travel for all of the included eyepieces and prisms.

006_zps1whpfyac.jpg

Side view.  The finder has a very restricted field of view, but works well.

005_zpsw4n6ku2i.jpg

The leg tips are very sharp steel.  I was wearing flip-flops during the photo shoot and poked my big toe, drawing blood.  Who said astronomy isn't a dangerous activity?

002_zpsddfutbyy.jpg

Unitron-style folding legs, though the restraint bracket is simpler, and doesn't carry the chain ends.

003_zpsdosbu6os.jpg

Links to included documentation:

Brochure front

Brochure back

Large sheet front

Large sheet back

Unfortunately the valley is full of smoke from regional fires; I can barely see the 10,000 ft. peaks just ten miles to my east, so I can't shoot a long-distance shot through the scope today.  But looking at objects a block away reveal a fantastic objective.  Sharp and very color-free.  Using the 6mm eyepiece, I can barely detect only the tiniest hint of color fringing on sunlight highlighted objects, and I have to work at convincing myself that it's there.

I am very pleased to have grabbed this one.

• DreamWeaver, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 3 others like this

#1403 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

Looks like the link to the Large sheet back isn't working.  I'll fix it when we return from dinner.   It's just a list of projector bulbs.

#1404 starman876

starman876

Cosmos

• Loc: VA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:51 PM

Very nice find Chuck.   You keep finding these gems.   Soon you will be able to start a museum. 

• DreamWeaver and Chuck Hards like this

#1405 madeline

madeline

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

Very very nice find Chuck.   A great group of accessories with it.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#1406 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:23 PM

Beautiful Chuck, just beautiful! The sun filter is exactly like the Unitron sun filter. The diagonal looks very Unitron as well. Is there a T-slot or a U-slot cut in the eyepiece end? It sure looks long in the picture looks more like 60x1200 than 60x1000.

Edited by terraclarke, 22 August 2015 - 10:25 PM.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#1407 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thanks everyone, I'm gaining an appreciation for these uncommon & low-production-number models from the earlier post-war years of Japanese production and export.

The diagonal looks very Unitron as well. Is there a T-slot or a U-slot cut in the eyepiece end? It sure looks long in the picture looks more like 60x1200 than 60x1000.

T-slots on every eyepiece holder, Terra.  Diagonal, focuser, and erector.  With strain-relief holes drilled at the end of every slot, a nice touch.   I pulled out my metric tape measure and checked the focal length.  It is indeed 1000mm, but I agree that it looks longer.  I think this is because the white main tube itself is longer than many 1000mm scopes because Soligor went with a focuser/drawtube with much less travel than other scopes.  It only has about 1/2 to 2/3 the total travel of my Tasco 7TE.

The prism cover on the back of the diagonal is unpainted, shiny plated metal and it looks like it came that way from the factory.

The clear aperture of 63mm seems out of the ordinary, as well.  Most 60mm class Japanese refractors have a clear aperture of 60mm.  Seems like only a few went with the 63mm size.  Anybody know which ones, off the top of their heads?

• terraclarke likes this

#1408 BigC

BigC

Skylab

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Great catch,Chuck!!

I have a scope with those pointy leg tips ,unknown brand.

Those eyepieces are sure nice,never seen a 50mm in .965 before.

• Chuck Hards likes this

#1409 CharlieB

CharlieB

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:45 AM

Sure looks a lot like this old Mayflower, but this one is 62x800mm.  Same focuser, accessories and finder. 

Attached Files

• Chuck Hards, Bomber Bob and DMala like this

#1410 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Surveyor 1

• Loc: STL

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:50 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm gaining an appreciation for these uncommon & low-production-number models from the earlier post-war years of Japanese production and export.

The diagonal looks very Unitron as well. Is there a T-slot or a U-slot cut in the eyepiece end? It sure looks long in the picture looks more like 60x1200 than 60x1000.

T-slots on every eyepiece holder, Terra.  Diagonal, focuser, and erector.  With strain-relief holes drilled at the end of every slot, a nice touch.   I pulled out my metric tape measure and checked the focal length.  It is indeed 1000mm, but I agree that it looks longer.  I think this is because the white main tube itself is longer than many 1000mm scopes because Soligor went with a focuser/drawtube with much less travel than other scopes.  It only has about 1/2 to 2/3 the total travel of my Tasco 7TE.

The prism cover on the back of the diagonal is unpainted, shiny plated metal and it looks like it came that way from the factory.

The clear aperture of 63mm seems out of the ordinary, as well.  Most 60mm class Japanese refractors have a clear aperture of 60mm.  Seems like only a few went with the 63mm size.  Anybody know which ones, off the top of their heads?

Chuck, can you measure the clear aperture?  Sometimes the difference is the actual glass size vs clear aperture.  You lose a mm or more to support the lens. Maybe.

Jim

#1411 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

Sure looks a lot like this old Mayflower, but this one is 62x800mm.  Same focuser, accessories and finder. 

It is identical in hardware and accessories, isn't it?  Is that yours, Charlie?  Want to sell me the 12.5mm EP?  ;)

Chuck, can you measure the clear aperture?  Sometimes the difference is the actual glass size vs clear aperture.  You lose a mm or more to support the lens. Maybe.

Jim

That occurred to me last night as I was getting into bed, Jim, great idea.  I will measure the clear aperture when I get home from work tonight and let you know.

#1412 gelkin

gelkin

Apollo

• Loc: Western, MD.

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

I've had a Monolux for a few years that appears to be of the same manufacturer. Same N.S. looking tripod as well. Was always wondering who made it.Any ideas?

Attached File  DSC_9081.JPG   52.13KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC_9096.JPG   70.72KB   1 downloads  

• Bomber Bob and DMala like this

#1413 CharlieB

CharlieB

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:43 PM

I have an old beater from the same time as yours.  I need to restore it some day.  Included in my case was an old Asahi catalog - but I don't think these are Asahi scopes.  I've seen some photos of a very similar scope with a Circle T logo.  In any case, the glass is nice.

Attached Files

Edited by CharlieB, 24 August 2015 - 05:45 PM.

• Bomber Bob and DMala like this

#1414 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

Jim

Your hunch was correct, Jim.  Clear aperture is 60mm, which makes the focal ratio f/16.67.  I measured the opening in the front lens retaining ring with my calipers.

I've had a Monolux for a few years that appears to be of the same manufacturer. Same N.S. looking tripod as well. Was always wondering who made it.Any ideas?

Gerald, I think we are thinking the same thing.  I'd almost bet these are N.S. 

Edit:  Charlie posted while I was composing this reply.  So now I'm not so sure I'd place that bet. 

Some of these makers almost surely bought components such as focusers, cells, tripods, etc., from the same sources.  I doubt all the different brands had their own wood shops and foundries, turning out clones of each other's products.

#1415 DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:23 PM

That has the same focuser as the  Lafayette F-342.  A 60/800 circle-T scope.

#1416 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

I managed to get the dewcap bodyworked, primed, and repainted today.  I used accelerator in the paint mix, and let it bake in my car in the sun for a couple of hours.  It was hard as a rock when I got home, so went ahead and finished it.  Wet-sanded with 1000 grit, then polished and buffed to a high gloss.  Painted the inside flat black from a rattle can, and it's back on the scope now.

I'm going to leave it set-up for a few days, to admire.

#1417 DMala

DMala

Vostok 1

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:54 PM

Chuck the link to the following does not seem to work:

Large sheet back

Great find

#1418 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:05 PM

Chuck the link to the following does not seem to work:

Large sheet back

Great find

Thanks!

Link is fixed now.

Shiny, restored dewcap back in place.

010_zpsvaiuchuc.jpg

Set up in the house.

009_zpsyi6e2pyp.jpg

The original factory dust cap managed to stay with this one after all these years.

011_zpsbslknbrj.jpg

• Meadeball, TOM KIEHL, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#1419 Meadeball

Meadeball

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

That's a beaut, Chuck. :waytogo:

#1420 CharlieB

CharlieB

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

Fantastic paint work.  The whole scope looks like it just came off the showroom.

• DocFinance likes this

#1421 Rich3756

Rich3756

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 02:27 PM

Bought this Edmund Scientific 6001 off the Bay.The objective  has been reported as very sharp and it does look sharp to me.  Now my other scopes look fuzzy. The lens is also showing some delamination around the edges, not sure if this should be reopaired. Included a Edmund 15mm RKE and the owners manual. 

Attached Files

• Attached File  E4.jpg   106.23KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  E3.jpg   279.27KB   4 downloads
  • Attached File  E5.jpg   101.49KB   4 downloads

Edited by Rich3756, Yesterday, 02:37 PM.

• Vesper818, A6Q6 and Bomber Bob like this

#1422 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Kentucky

Posted Yesterday, 02:34 PM

"Danger Will Rogers, Danger!" Another cool Lost in Space telescope. I love those! Good job!
  • madeline likes this

#1423 starman876

starman876

Cosmos

• Loc: VA

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 PM

Bought this Edmund Scientific 6001 off the Bay.The objective  has been reported as very sharp and it does look sharp to me.  Now my other scopes look fuzzy. The lens is also showing some delamination around the edges, not sure if this should be reopaired. Included a Edmund 15mm RKE and the owners manual. 

And now the quest begins for that scope with the best optics.  It never ends.  You will always be looking for one more that is better.   

• Bomber Bob likes this

#1424 madeline

madeline

Viking 1

• ***--
  • Loc: Bloomington, MN

Posted Yesterday, 07:32 PM

"Danger Will Rogers, Danger!" Another cool Lost in Space telescope. I love those! Good job!

I think that you will be getting one of those "Lost in Space" scope soon Terra.   Can't wait.

• terraclarke likes this

#1425 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Uhhhh...  Wasn't it "Danger Will Robinson!  Danger! Danger!"????

I want to know what it will be when it grows up?

Q

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics