Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#126 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

I cleaned the mirrors and so far the RV-8 is like a "supersized" RV-6 except the mount was not supersized. The Dec/weight shaft is longer, uses the same weight and seems up to the job. The OTA is very light, exactly the same parts as the RV-6 only larger, It is a hair longer then f6 which is odd because I thought the RV-8 was f7 and f8 depending on when it was made. Serial 136 on the mirror, 12-81 date on the drive motor.

Attached Files

• terraclarke likes this

#127 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

It is like someone took an RV6 and puffed it up. Like an inflationary universe.

#128 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hope this photo posts - the ota on my RV-8 appears to be a tad longer..... 

Attached File  image009 (6).jpg   23.16KB   6 downloads

#129 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Messenger

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

attachicon.gifP8260002 (2) ed.JPGThere is a "tension relief cut" in the focuser barrel and the draw tube is quite scarred. Is it possible this is the only thing that kept friction on the draw tube?

This turned out to be an easy fix. I put a hose clamp on the focuser tube to see if it would work and it was so ugly, I removed the draw tube and tightend the clamp up as tight as it would go. The Focuser barrel relief slot tightened up enough to give me a nice friction fit on the draw tube. Problem solved.

#130 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Messenger

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

Attached File  P8270003ed.JPG   188.15KB   0 downloadsAttached File  P8270004-ed.JPG   81.16KB   0 downloadsThe Soligor rides again: Supposed to be clear skies tonight too.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#131 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Gemini

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

I also had the RV8 and found the mount to be way undersized. The optice were to kill for.

Chas

#132 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

The mount was marginal for the 6".

#133 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

It does look like someone puffed it up a RV-6! I like that description.

A nice thing about the RV-8 is you can easily pickup the whole mount without popping out your back, it's the only 8 inch I can do that with.

I have a feeling the RV-8 is going to be very good optically from what I've seen so far. I should do a side by side with my Cave 8 inch model B Deluxe, nothing can touch my Cave its like a 8 inch Takahashi. 

Edited by actionhac, 27 August 2014 - 08:10 PM.

#134 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Hope this photo posts - the ota on my RV-8 appears to be a tad longer..... 

attachicon.gifimage009 (6).jpg

Bob, does the bottom of the tube clear the ground?  Looks like it might be mightly close.

My friend has the earlier, heavy-duty 8" Dynascope and the stock wood tripod legs (that nestled inside the bell pier for "permanent" installations) were so short that the scope couldn't reach the zenith without the tube striking the ground.  I had to make him a new set of legs about 6 inches longer. 

#135 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Unfortunately Chuck, my RV-8 is currently many miles away and disassembled.    At our latitude, I do remember that it could just barely reach vertical - if I kept the grass cut.

Note the 'Criterion 100' counterweight (8 pounds - same as Robert's) requires positioning right at the very tip of my dec shaft to properly balance the longer tube - which i believe to be about 64" long.    For that reason, I bought a spare....

Edited by Bob Myler, 28 August 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#136 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

I wonder if my new RV-8 was special ordered since its a  f6.25 I wonder if you could order a focal ratio other than the standard f7 from Criterion. This one must be near the end of Criterion. It also came with a box postmarked Feb. 21st 1982 with a 6mm eyepiece that was on back order. Drive motor date is 12-81

It looks like around 50 inches focal length. Tube is only 50 inches long.

The scope is delightful to use, all the pieces are so nice and light, it feels like a 6 inch. 

• terraclarke likes this

#137 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Today I added another scope to the herd: a Sears 6333 in wood box. Fair condition,scope and box. Needs a couple screws replaced with something closer to original.Objective and finder dirty but cleaned  up easily.Corroded ep shelf battery compartment.But for $15 I am happy.

• choran and Bomber Bob like this

#138 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

Wow, $15.  Just amazing.

#139 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Wow, $15.  Just amazing.

It actually cost more for the gas to go get it.

Observed for a while but  too many/much high clouds/haze to enjoy the sky.Only the brightest three Little Dipper stars seen  unaided.

#140 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

From craigslist ,an ATCO 62mm x 800 wandered into my life! Scope objective excellent but.. eyepieces have lots of internal specks.And  my ebay purchase of a nice classic  .965 diagonal with H6 and SR4 was disappointing:the diagonal is fine but the oculars ,ecch! The H6 has internal what appears as a HUGE mass of dirt(fungus?) and the SR4  lots of specks ;the specks look like black paint that has fallen from the inside of the ocular.Not sure how these old eyepieces come apart?

The ATCO yoke mount is the best example I have seen of the yoke  style;it has adjustable friction for both axis, and moves smoothly.The mechanics of the ATCO make it a real pleasure to use and it is very lightweight despite the metal rather than plastic construction.Legs are wood ,very light, non-adjustable, and with wicked  metal cones coming to a sharp point for insertion into the soil.

The Moon was very sharp even at 132x with the ATCO H6 ocular included with the scope.Annoying internal specks though.View was excellent  using my no-speck Celestron  K21mm .965.

Between bright full Moon and high clouds  could hardly make out even the Big Dipper last night! But scope did pull out many stars from the  pastel gray sky.The 4mm (200x) resulted in a dimmed,low-contrast  Moonscape.I think a 5mm(160x) ocular ,or perhaps a 9mm with 2x barlow(177x) is the better maximum high power choice for Moon and planets.For point source like stars no doubt stronger magnification can be used for splitting doubles and so on.

Bought this mainly because there is a chance the 62mm might actually have been supplied by Asashi (Pentax) according to some internet posting I vaguely remember,maybe here on CN.

• Bomber Bob and DocFinance like this

#141 midnitexplorer

midnitexplorer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver Island BC Canada

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

Small is beautiful.   Two new Kijiji arrivals.  From Ontario, Tasco 50mm x 600 66TE.  Missing the tag and rusty leg extensions it is in good shape.  My Scottish terrier, Doctor Angus McDuff surveys the new arrival.

The second one, has the distinction of coming the farthest in the collection, 4286 km's, from New Brunswick,  Tasco 50mm x 600 6TE-5.  Unfortunately missing the finder scope, its pristine condition and crisp views make up for the loss.  Arrived today Tasco 17TE, pics soon.

Attached Files

#142 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: Just South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

What a cute little Scotty! I had one named Mr. Binkers, Binky for short, aka the Binkerton! He went the other way in what was at the time, a rather nasty divorce. Things are better now. I occasionally get to see him. He's a very old man now. The dog I mean! :lol:

PS: Nice little scopelet too! The red carpet becomes it. ;)

• choran likes this

#143 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

I too was immediately taken with the good Doctor Angus McDuff, who is obviously greatly impressed with the new Tasco!

• terraclarke likes this

#144 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

I wonder if my new RV-8 was special ordered since its a  f6.25 I wonder if you could order a focal ratio other than the standard f7 from Criterion. This one must be near the end of Criterion. It also came with a box postmarked Feb. 21st 1982 with a 6mm eyepiece that was on back order. Drive motor date is 12-81

It looks like around 50 inches focal length. Tube is only 50 inches long.

The scope is delightful to use, all the pieces are so nice and light, it feels like a 6 inch. 

Sometimes we think  all the old stuff was junk compared to today's items ,and then we find much of it was quite good.

#145 midnitexplorer

midnitexplorer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver Island BC Canada

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:00 PM

Thanks Terra, you know then what a great personality these dogs have.  "Duffy" aka "Big Duffer", "Duff" and "that D.A.M. dog" spent a lot of time  the past couple of weeks researching those rusty leg extensions. ( its the top of a steamer trunk Im in the process of reconditioning btw ).

I'll see Chuck if I can manage to get him and his sister "Princess Tira May" aka "baby gurl" to appear in the odd gallery post.  They're always excited to check out the latest box that drags through the front door.  So here is the last of the summer trio, Tasco 60mm x 700 17TE just in from Morinville, Alberta c/w custom wood box.  This is a very exciting scope that I haven't looked through yet even and is cleaning up very well.  Another excellent condition Tasco.  

Considering there were no original boxes, rusty extensions, missing ID tag and finder I did Ok for my $250 (Canadian) for the three of which 35% was in shipping. You'll see why when I get the 17TE pics posted, but that $43 shipping was worth it considering it arrived safe, in its own box and in great shape !

Attached Files

Edited by midnitexplorer, 12 September 2014 - 06:49 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics