•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, ebay and other Vintage Telescope Finds

• Please log in to reply
2232 replies to this topic

#2126 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

Wrong thread - ad post moooooooved!

#2127 Cometeer

Cometeer

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, California

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:11 PM

I did buy a orange c8. Had my friend pick it up for me. Should be in my hands next week. From the pictures it looked to be in mint condition.

Well wasn't in as mint condition as my friend said. Corrector was cloudy, so I took it off and wiped off the haze with a microfiber cloth. Will clean with a cleaning solution sometime in the near future. Came with a 9mm ortho, and 25mm and 40mm Kellners (they are inside the box sitting on the tripod in the picture). The case seems to have suffered water damage or something.Tripod is missing one spreader arm- anyone have a spare?

Serial number: 26168

Attached Files

Edited by Cometeer, 06 July 2016 - 09:12 PM.

• terraclarke, kansas skies and Bomber Bob like this

#2128 bremms

bremms

Soyuz

• Loc: SC

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

Like the "mint condition". Recently I restored a 78 C8 that was sold to me as a parts scope due to bad coatings. The rest of it was in very good shape despite missing a focus knob.

Machined one that's better than the original. Just need to get it anodized black.

Attached Files

• Attached File  knob.jpg   106.8KB   3 downloads

• Littlegreenman, photiost, terraclarke and 3 others like this

#2129 Ford812

Ford812

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Deer Park Texas

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:21 PM

Attached File  Screenshot_2016-07-06-22-02-23-320x180_crop_279x140.png   30.7KB   22 downloadsJust won this from Goodwill any help identifying makers mark would be appreciated. 

Neil

Edited by Ford812, 06 July 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#2130 Ford812

Ford812

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 July 2016 - 11:19 PM

Attached File  Screenshot_2016-07-06-20-56-15-320x240.png   77.04KB   6 downloads

Here's the ota.

Gonna need some restoration work I'm sure

#2131 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Soyuz

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

I did buy a orange c8. Had my friend pick it up for me. Should be in my hands next week. From the pictures it looked to be in mint condition.

Well wasn't in as mint condition as my friend said. Corrector was cloudy, so I took it off and wiped off the haze with a microfiber cloth. Will clean with a cleaning solution sometime in the near future. Came with a 9mm ortho, and 25mm and 40mm Kellners (they are inside the box sitting on the tripod in the picture). The case seems to have suffered water damage or something.Tripod is missing one spreader arm- anyone have a spare?

You probably know this, but option one is Astro-Parts Outlet might have one. Or, just buying a replacement whole tripod may be faster, easier, but not cheaper. 

There is currently on on eBay listed at $99, but they are accepting offers. But shipping is high.

#2132 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:11 AM

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-07-06-22-02-23-320x180_crop_279x140.pngJust won this from Goodwill any help identifying makers mark would be appreciated. 

Neil

Congratulations!  Your scope is a rare brand (we still haven't identified it) from an uncommon maker - Horiguchi or Hitomi (we still haven't nailed down the H.O.C. mark).  You'll be teaching us about it.

#2133 terraclarke

terraclarke

Voyager 1

• Loc: Through the Looking Glass!

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:53 AM

Like the "mint condition". Recently I restored a 78 C8 that was sold to me as a parts scope due to bad coatings. The rest of it was in very good shape despite missing a focus knob.
Machined one that's better than the original. Just need to get it anodized black.

Or leave it brushed aluminum like a Meade!
  • bremms likes this

#2134 bremms

bremms

Soyuz

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

You probably know this, but option one is Astro-Parts Outlet might have one. Or, just buying a replacement whole tripod may be faster, easier, but not cheaper. 

There is currently on on eBay listed at $99, but they are accepting offers. But shipping is high.

It's bar stock with some holes. If we can't find one it can be made.

• Littlegreenman and Cometeer like this

#2135 BigC

BigC

Aurora

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

$5 Goodwill Meade Digital Series80mm f11 refractor just picked up.Cost $15 in gas! Just the  OTA and stand ,no motors,no controller,no eyepieces.Objective looks OK.Was a gamble as auctions info didn't even give size;but 80 is good enough.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#2136 bremms

bremms

Soyuz

Posted 09 July 2016 - 01:30 PM

The leg brace is 1/8x1/2 bar stock. Withe a hole in one end and a slot in the other.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#2137 StarRipper

StarRipper

Lift Off

• Loc: Chicopee, MA.

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:33 AM

Just wanted to test my image posting ability so I could start sharing some of my classics.

Attached Files

• Deven Matlick, albert1, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#2138 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 July 2016 - 09:06 AM

Nice!!  Your Tasco 7TE-5 has been Registered.  Thanks for the photos!

#2139 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Vostok 1

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:02 AM

Nice work. The original knob is too small anyway for fine focus adjustments.  I machined a larger replacement (sorry, I am keeping the original just in case I ever sell the scope... but we both know that is unlikely).

You should be able to easily fabricate a spreader arm.  Check mcmastercarr.com for aluminum stock the same width and thickness.

Attached Files

Edited by Tom Stock, 11 July 2016 - 12:03 AM.

• Bomber Bob and TCW like this

#2140 photiost

photiost

Vanguard

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

Garage sale, picked up a 60mm "Diamond COC" refractor - just the OTA.

Lens and tube in good condition, focuser needs to be fixed/replaced.

I have very high expectations for this lens ...

• terraclarke, kansas skies and Bomber Bob like this

#2141 Cometeer

Cometeer

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, California

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:07 AM

An orange C90 Astro to complement my later black Astro. I got pretty lucky with this one. Had sold on ebay for $150 back in April (Listing). For some reason the Post Office lost the package, so the seller refunded the buyer their money. It found it's way back to the seller recently and to avoid the trouble again, he put it up on Craigslist, so I snagged it yesterday. Paid about $150 which I think is fair given it's condition. Came with the original trunk in very nice condition. Under the foam in the trunk were two counterweights that I discovered once I returned home. Scope was in very nice condition without a single scratch anywhere. Azimuth movement isn't as smooth as the altitude when the clutches are locked- anyone know how to take it apart to grease? Finder had tape on it for a tight fit and was a bit scratched up by the finder positioning screws. Removed the tape, place a small strip of foam in the inside of the finder bracket and finally added a bead of hot glue on the ends of the screws. Now the finder is pretty snug on there and there's no chance of it coming out of alignment easily.

Say, anyone have an extra lens cap? The one on there now is borrowed from another C90 Astro.

Seen here with a 1.25" visual back and a Baader zoom. Base screwed onto a camera tripod.
Attached File  IMG_20160720_223845.jpg   128.19KB   8 downloads

The seller runs a mini antique item pawn-type store. He also brought a Unitron 114 (no tripod) and a Swift in pristine condition(don't know the model). I didn't buy them because he know's the value of the scopes, and I wasn't interested in buying them at regular market price. That and classic refractors ain't my cup of tea.

Edited by Cometeer, 21 July 2016 - 10:31 AM.

• terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#2142 Ford812

Ford812

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:09 AM

Well my HOC 60x700 I got from Goodwill  arrived a couple days ago. It's my first purchase and you can tell I have somethings to learn. No EPs or diagonal at least it has the 2x Barlow, well the tube anyway not any glass in it. The mount is missing slow motion controls and need a full restore along with some hardware. But the ota is in great shape :) Focuser is as smooth as the day it left the factory. I want to tell all of you regulars here in classics that I have the most respect for all of the wisdom, knowledge and just all around class acts. I read about 1-2 hours a day of classic threads to gain as much in site on scopes, mounts EPs and observing from ya'll. This group has such good chemistry it makes old post enjoyable to read. Anyway just wanted to tell you all thanks from a Newbie who has become an amateur astronomer by luck but a Classaholic by choice.

Okay now tonight I was going to get a bit of viewing in with my 7te and decided why not get the HOC and use the ep's from the tasco since I use 1.25 with the visual back that Tenacious made and sent to me on the 7te. After a little while of shuffling parts and pieces I had set up that would work. I didn't have this in mind when I got the scope I was going to wait until I at least cleaned it. Sitting atop the Tasco GEM and a 12.5mm in place and seeing a 7-8 of 10  I pointed to Saturn. I was utterly stunned. The detail was great for my first light. I was acutely seeing a division in rings, cloud band and distinct color variations and it was crisp and sharp from edge to edge. I'm not as experienced as all you so forgive me if I'm not stating these correctly. I'm just so thrilled I had to let ya'll know. Chuck I apologize if I shouldn't have put this in this thread wasn't sure if this rambling was worthy of its own. I can't wait to get the restoration  under way. Thanks all for the time, I'll get some pics of this HOC up tomorrow.

I got a Mayflower 814  SYW that should be here by end of the week  

Edited by Ford812, 21 July 2016 - 04:00 PM.

• Littlegreenman, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

#2143 terraclarke

terraclarke

Voyager 1

Posted 21 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

Nice to have you in the 'fam'. :)
  • Ford812 likes this

#2144 Ford812

Ford812

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

A few pics of my  HOC

Attached File  20160719_005736-427x240.jpg   22.6KB   8 downloads

Attached File  20160719_010547-427x240.jpg   23.42KB   5 downloads

Attached File  20160719_010239-240x427.jpg   25.93KB   5 downloads

• photiost, AstroPhys, terraclarke and 1 other like this

#2145 Ford812

Ford812

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

A little time, some sweat a good cleaning and probably some new legs and this girl will be ready for a nice night out.

Attached Files

• terraclarke and kansas skies like this

#2146 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:25 PM

I stumbled upon my first spectros eyepiece while doing a Zeiss search on eBay.  I think these were made in the 1980s.  The PL7 really impressed me:  Half the weight of my Tani made vintage Meade Series 2 .965" Orthoscopics, but just as sharp edge-to-edge, and with a wider field.  Thanks to Xavier, I now have a set of these very very fine Swiss-made eyepieces - another heirloom that I hope stays in the family!

Attached File  spectros Eyepiece Set 20160721 S01.jpg   151.53KB   8 downloads

The 3 Kellners are perfect for the Zeiss, along with my other long FL scopes.  Notice that these have barrels larger than 1.25" - came with their own adapter.  The rest have .965" barrels - perfect for my Unihex.  Besides Big Rosie, my Goto and my A-S Space Scope 151 use this format.  So does the 40x500 guidescope on the Galactic.  I'm expecting great views from all 4 scopes.  Xavier also included 3 spectros color filters - I haven't seen these anywhere else on the Internet.  Package traveled from Belgium to The Swamp without a scratch or dent, and the eyepieces are pristine.

Of course, it started raining buckets shortly after the package arrived.  I guess The Curse includes accessories, too!

• Deven Matlick, xavier, AstroPhys and 3 others like this

#2147 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Soyuz

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

Well my HOC 60x700 I got from Goodwill  arrived a couple days ago. [a little bit deleted]... at least it has the 2x Barlow, well the tube anyway not any glass in it. [rest of original deleted

It is very common for vintage Barlows to have lost the optical element. Many of those had the optics as a thread on piece at the far end. Barlow gremlins like to sneak in and unscrew the optics from the tube...

• terraclarke likes this

#2148 terraclarke

terraclarke

Voyager 1

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:36 PM

Those that do make nice focal extenders.

#2149 Ford812

Ford812

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:02 PM

I had to use it as a focal extender sort of last night because my Tasco diagonal would not fit into the HOC focuser. I get about three inches of travel out of  the focuser. It doesnt have a draw tube like my Tasco

Edited by Ford812, 22 July 2016 - 05:19 AM.

• terraclarke likes this

#2150 xavier

xavier

Viking 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

I stumbled upon my first spectros eyepiece while doing a Zeiss search on eBay.  I think these were made in the 1980s.  The PL7 really impressed me:  Half the weight of my Tani made vintage Meade Series 2 .965" Orthoscopics, but just as sharp edge-to-edge, and with a wider field.  Thanks to Xavier, I now have a set of these very very fine Swiss-made eyepieces - another heirloom that I hope stays in the family!

attachicon.gifspectros Eyepiece Set 20160721 S01.jpg

The 3 Kellners are perfect for the Zeiss, along with my other long FL scopes.  Notice that these have barrels larger than 1.25" - came with their own adapter.  The rest have .965" barrels - perfect for my Unihex.  Besides Big Rosie, my Goto and my A-S Space Scope 151 use this format.  So does the 40x500 guidescope on the Galactic.  I'm expecting great views from all 4 scopes.  Xavier also included 3 spectros color filters - I haven't seen these anywhere else on the Internet.  Package traveled from Belgium to The Swamp without a scratch or dent, and the eyepieces are pristine.

Of course, it started raining buckets shortly after the package arrived.  I guess The Curse includes accessories, too!

Great the eyepieces arrived well.  I hope you will be able to use them a lot.  Have fun

Xavier

• mfalls, terraclarke and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics