• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paul mc c

paul mc c

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Belfast Ireland

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

I am thinking of an observatory to house a 12" dob,i know what design i want,it will be 6 foot high when closed and when open it wil have 4 foot walls with 2 foot of the wall sliding with the roof,i was wondering has any one used this for a dob,or is it worth my while with such a portable scope.

Paul

#2 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

it's always worth your while to have an observatory if you can swing it.

One of the moderators named Carol has an excellent example of a nice ROR for a Dobsonian. It was built for her by BYO (Backyard Observatories) whom I highly recommend.

Mike

#3 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

Six foot high walls with most Dobs will severely limit the amount of sky visible. You may want to mock something up to evaluate what you want.

#4 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

A lot of people use "DobHouses" that are basically low boxes, with appropriate roofs, and wheels. To use the dob, one just opens the doors, and slides the box out of the way, leaving the dob in the middle of the pad.

I hear it is a bad idea if you observe in snowy conditions (you have to be able to roll the box off). (Yeah, yeah, if it is snowing, you should not be observing, but, you know what I mean!!!)

Many people build a somewhat standard roll off, but add drop down walls for their dob observatory.

ALex

#5 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

I hope to one day have large dob (24") or bigger and plan on either having a roll off shed or a shed to house the dob and then roll it out to use.

#6 paul mc c

paul mc c

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Six foot high walls with most Dobs will severely limit the amount of sky visible. You may want to mock something to evaluate what you want.

The walls will be 6 foot high when the roof is closed,and 4 foot when open.Given that i live in a built up area this height wont realy restrict my view.

#7 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Six foot high walls with most Dobs will severely limit the amount of sky visible. You may want to mock something to evaluate what you want.

The walls will be 6 foot high when the roof is closed,and 4 foot when open.Given that i live in a built up area this height wont realy restrict my view.

My point was that you need to think through what you are doing. Sounds like you already have done that.:goodjob:

#8 paul mc c

paul mc c

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

I have drew up rough plans of what i hope to build,i have an area of about 10 foot by 8 foot which gives me a good area to swing the scope around,unfortunately i cant see the pole star and very little of the west but a deacent south and east view,so i will still have to move the scope to other parts of the garden to observe parts of the sky that i cant see from the observatory,this is my i am not sure on the build.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics