Another successful SpaceX launch!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:29 AM

UP, UP, AND AWAY!... SpaceX's Falcon 9 successfully launched and deployed the AsiaSat 6 satellite into its proper transfer orbit, delayed only 10 minutes due to some weather issues.  Next up is CRS-4 (and maybe another first stage landing attempt).  Clear skies to you.

#27 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

So smooth it was almost boring -- that's they way I want it!  It'll be interesting to see how quickly they can set up and launch CRS-4 after this one.

#28 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

You can hear one of the comm folks say, "First stage re-ignition successful" around the 4-5 minute mark of the flight, about the time you see a video link of the inside of one of the fuel tanks. 

Interesting stuff.

#29 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:04 AM

Yeah, that was slightly unexpected.  They didn't install legs for this flight, and they made a pretty big deal about this payload being heavy enough as to use up their fuel reserves.  On the other hand, they also advertise the ability to complete their mission even with an engine failure, so they are certainly keeping some fuel in reserve for that eventuality.  As long as the engines all operate normally on the first stage, they should still have a little bit left over after staging.  I'm guessing that they'll keep doing engine relights as long as they can get useful data from them, even if they expend the stage.

#30 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

• Loc: SE MN

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Sounds like Boing might be getting the biggest contracts instead of Space X. I suppose they are a very well known company to NASA.

http://theweek.com/a...e-taxi-contract

Not sure how reliable this news agency is.

Here is one by Forbes.

http://www.forbes.co...-to-jeff-bezos/

Edited by maugi88, 16 September 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#31 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:27 AM

So the latest launch was a good one I read this morning. They did not expect to recover the falcon 9 though and did not even bother to film its water landing from the one story I read.

I am still surprised at this. Isn't there a uninhabited key or island they can use to make actual landings on? They could be landing on barges or build a platform out of a oil rig skeleton. Just wasting these early vehicles makes no sense to me what so ever. If your going to just loose the cost of the rocket why not risk the cost of a platform to see if you can save the thing. How many have they just let go in the drink so far? Don't get it.  

#32 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

So the latest launch was a good one I read this morning. They did not expect to recover the falcon 9 though and did not even bother to film its water landing from the one story I read.

I am still surprised at this. Isn't there a uninhabited key or island they can use to make actual landings on? They could be landing on barges or build a platform out of a oil rig skeleton. Just wasting these early vehicles makes no sense to me what so ever. If your going to just loose the cost of the rocket why not risk the cost of a platform to see if you can save the thing. How many have they just let go in the drink so far? Don't get it.  

I suspect that there may have been a problem with one of the "legged" boosters (or the legs themselves) forcing SpaceX to switch to one of the unlegged versions for the CRS-4 mission to maintain the flight schedule.  Either that or they took one of the legged 1st stages out of the production line to be reconfigured for the VTOL landing tests as a Falcon 9R to replace the one that malfunctioned and had to be destroyed in Texas during the last test.  Other than that, we won't know why they did this until Elon Musk tells us (if he bothers to tell us).  Clear skies to you.

#33 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

I believe the next launch is supposed to attempt either a barge landing or a return to shore.  As far as I know, SpaceX is still negotiating with the FAA for permission to land back at the launch site.

I really enjoyed seeing the shots of the inside of the second stage LOX tank just before engine shutdown.  You could actually see the fluid draining into the opening at the bottom, until the engine shut down, the oxygen became weightless, and started floating back up the tank.  Wonderful view!

#34 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:16 AM

Saturn 1b tank footage.

• Shadowalker likes this

#35 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

OK, now you're really making me geek out!  :)

#36 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Totally cool.

#37 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:05 AM

MIT 16.885J Aircraft Systems Engineering, Fall 2005.....lectures by folks involved with the US space program.

Here's five minutes explaining Apollo 13...straight from the horses mouth.

Lectures 7, 14 and 15 are well done. There are a few duds. Chris Craft is great. The Prof. does two, one centering on RTLS Abort that's frightening.

I've posted these before, but a reminder can't hurt.

Two words. Bass Redd.

Edited by herrointment, 23 September 2014 - 02:14 AM.

#38 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

Dragon (CRS-4) has now been captured and berthed with ISS, so the delivery part of the mission appears to be a success.  SpaceX almost seems to make this seem easy :).  Clear skies to you.

#39 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

They are doing it well.

#40 gmartin02

gmartin02

Viking 1

• Loc: Santa Clarita, CA

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

SpaceX launched a commercial satellite mission this morning with 6 Orbcomm satellites - satellites were deployed and Orbcomm is receiving telemetry from all 6 satellites.

In other SpaceX news:

SpaceX gets final approval from the FAA for the launch site near Brownsville, Texas for commercial satellite launches.

Air force certifies SpaceX for launches.

Go SpaceX!

P.S. My son Max just started his second week at SpaceX, after graduating from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a Materials Engineering degree. He got to watch the launch this morning from SpaceX mission control at SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, California, where he works. He is currently working as a (very highly paid) intern through October, and hopes they will pick him up full time after that (he also worked as an intern for them last summer).

I just got this message from my son Max:

"After 6 and a half months of long hours, ridiculous learning curves and general awesomeness, tomorrow I accept my full-time position at SpaceX as a Materials and Processes Engineer specializing in spacecraft contamination control and analysis."

He did it!!! He passed the SpaceX "internship" gauntlet and is now a full time employee. Way to go son!

• Shadowalker, rockethead26 and herrointment like this

#41 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

Holy admiration Batman, he did it!  Big congratulations to Max -- hope he continues to grow and enjoy it!

#42 maugi88

maugi88

Postasaurusrex

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

Awesome, good for Max. I hope he gets a permanent highly paid job. Great news!!!!

I agree, GO SPACE X. Lead the way Musk.

Edited by maugi88, 09 October 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#43 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:53 AM

And yet another successful landing by the Dragon spacecraft on October 25th puts a fine finish on the CRS-4 mission to ISS.   Clear skies to you.

#44 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Next launch of a Falcon 9 and Dragon to the ISS is scheduled for December 9. Sometime in November is supposed to be the pad abort test of their new Dragon V2 capsule, but I haven't heard any updates on that recently. I'm wondering if the protest by Sierra Nevada over the crewed taxi contract has delayed those plans...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics