•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observatory Placement and Neighbors

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 vsteblina

vsteblina

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 04 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

You know in a situation like this before I made a sizable investment in an observatory I would pay for a survey myself. I think they cost about $300 which is small in relation to an observatory. That way you know for sure and have legal ground to stand on should he dispute it. After you get it surveyed you may find out his string and fence posts are on your land but at least the issue would be settled.

There are plenty of people that can run a property line. Ask around you friends and see if anybody is a Forester or knows surveying.

It seems from your description that it is a fairly simple line to run. That way you would KNOW if you have a problem.

At that point you can hire a licensed surveyor and get an official survey.

Do you have any survey posts on your property at all??

When you bought your house, you should have gotten a plat that shows distance and bearing angles. Finding a post between you and your neighbor makes it real simple,.

If you can find a post running a line is very simple

• Special Ed likes this

#27 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

You know some pictures would go a mile in making this thread understandable and somewhat interesting. It's like trying to guess what a radio host looks like! :smirk:

#28 Mittag56

Mittag56

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Amboy, N.Y.

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:12 PM

My only issue with neighbors was when i installed a security cam to 1 make it so i could watch for any slew problems with my scope and 2 security concerns other times....my neighbor is a touch paranoid and knowing that he would eventually see the camera i showed it all to him and assured him it wasn't able to see anything but my scope and deck . Learned along time ago to be as transparent as possible right from the start...saves a lot of headaches later on..and in talking to him he understood about the  outside flood lite issue and changed the locations for me.

#29 Struzzin

Struzzin

Ranger 4

• Loc: Morrow County, Ohio

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

Regarding permits, I've found that as long as the building is smaller than 200 sq ft I don't need a permit. The electrical will need to be inspected though.

And I asked about the barn situation since there are plenty in my county. Apparently they do need building permits as well if they wire in permanent electrical! But that they are very lenient in the inspection process for the rest of the building. Or, they "wire" the building in a way that isn't permanent. Like running a panel and outlet to a "nearby" pole and then plugging the barn in.

That's exactly what I did. As far as electrical, I ran all my wires, outlets etc. in my observatory and instead of tying to an existing line I simply ended with a heavy duty plug. Then I just plug my building in with a heavy duty extension cord like a giant radio. LOL. But it requires no permit or inspection. Furthermore if you set your structure on blocks or railroad ties ( not permanently connected to the ground ) then it is considered moveable and not classified as an outbuilding. Hence it requires no permits :waytogo:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics