Photo

Nexstar 5SE= Celestron C5 XLT spotting scope?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Hi there,
I am planning to buy a versatile, light and manageable telescope, but also with good optical power, ie you can reach 200X with good seeing, but also you can observe open clusters and bright nebulae (M42) to low magnification (wide field), and I had thought of a Celestron C-5, but the optical tube Nexstar 5SE I can not find the mount separately, for this reason:
I wanted to ask if the Celestron 5SE optical tube is the same as the Celestron C5 Spotting Scope XLT ..
thank you very much
paul

#2 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 37°50'N

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

They are essentially the same scope. The spotter comes with a 6 x30 finder and the SE version with a red dot finder. They both have Vixen style dovetail bars.

I have a C5 spotter on a 6 SE mount/CPC tripod (a very stable combination). It is a great smaller SCT.

If the seeing is good you can get over 200x, but not under average conditions. Once and once only, and in the mountains at that, we used a Televue 3-6mm Nagler zoom. Generally a 6mm EP is not a happy choice.

Th original owner of my spotter threw in a Vixen 12-24mm zoom EP, and it or the inexpensive Celestron zoom work well in the C5. The scope pairs well with the f/6.3 reducer.

#3 paulsky

paulsky

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

Thank you David for this post!!
Regards
paul

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics