Photo

Good grief, the money pit has started.....

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 rainman64

rainman64

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

I started off buying a used Celestron Ultima 8.
Just the OTA.
Nothing else, no dovetail, no optics, no mount.

I patiently waited for a sale.
So then I jump on the new AVX mount on sale, a dovetail, and also the NexImage 5 also on sale.

But I need to get something to start with in optics, as I will have everyone for Xmas send me money....LOL, for new optics.

So I just get Tele Vue 1.25" 2x Barlow and Meade Series 4000 1.25" Zoom Eyepiece 8-24mm.

And so the money floats away....
So many optics, so little money.

#2 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Money pit? :confused:

Oh....wait until the AP bug bites. Then the money pit will instantly evolve into a black hole! :lol: :roflmao: :rofl5: :rofl2:

#3 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

the AP bug has been floating around me for a couple months, waiting to bite.

Ah I remember when all I did in astronomy was watch meteors, absolutely free. :lol:

#4 rainman64

rainman64

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

LOL

Yeah I am seeing it all now.

"But Honey, I need......."

#5 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

I have spent more on accessories than my scope.

#6 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

You must pay with your patience, your time and your money.

I'm not so sure the last one is the most painful.

#7 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

At least you didn't buy a used boat............. :shocked:

#8 rainman64

rainman64

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

At least you didn't buy a used boat............. :shocked:

Isn't that the truth!

Well, I can be patient, but when I got the order from Astronomics, the dovetail was out of stock.

Had to make a quick order with Agena.

#9 Billytk

Billytk

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Definition of Amateur Astronomy - a hobby involving a hollow photon collection tube which holds it's owner hostage by promising astounding discoveries provided the owner continues to make ransom payments.

#10 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

so true :lol:

#11 Fuzzyguy

Fuzzyguy

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado/Kansas

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

I don't know Rainman. Looks to me like you have just about everything you need to start looking and see a LOT!

#12 penguinx64

penguinx64

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Holland

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Sell some of your old stuff on eBay and use the money to buy new stuff.

#13 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Central Florida

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

What did I miss? Don't look like rainman64 has a lot of equipment. What is He suppose to sell? Something he just bought?

#14 dianen

dianen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

Money is just a fiction, anyway, especially these days when you just type some numbers into a little box on your screen and hit Enter and stuff magically appears on your doorstep.

#15 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

....and so, it begins anew.......its like a virus, ever evolving, striking host after host after host....

....we are the Borg...Resistence is futile..

#16 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Sorry, I don't consider this a money pit. I was an avid bowler for many years. I played 3 leagues and the Saturday night moon night money night. Buy tickets and if the call your number if you get a strike you win some money. Prize money was for $5 to over a $100 sometimes. My highest game is a league 299, left a wobbling 10 pin. I got a ring and "the 10 pin". I carried a 205 average. I bowled for money at times with some of the best. Steve Neff was one of them. My point... I would not even want to imagine how much money I spent. What do I have to show for it, a 299 ring and a couple bowling balls and a old pair of shoes. I hope this isn't to far off topic but, it is about money pits. :foreheadslap: I spent a lot of money.
P.S. did you know when you spell a word wrong you can right click on it and it gives you options of the word? Very cool...

#17 bhwolf

bhwolf

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Sorry, I don't consider this a money pit. I was an avid bowler for many years. I played 3 leagues and the Saturday night moon night money night. Buy tickets and if the call your number if you get a strike you win some money. Prize money was for $5 to over a $100 sometimes. My highest game is a league 299, left a wobbling 10 pin. I got a ring and "the 10 pin". I carried a 205 average. I bowled for money at times with some of the best. Steve Neff was one of them. My point... I would not even want to imagine how much money I spent. What do I have to show for it, a 299 ring and a couple bowling balls and a old pair of shoes. I hope this isn't to far off topic but, it is about money pits. :foreheadslap: I spent a lot of money.
P.S. did you know when you spell a word wrong you can right click on it and it gives you options of the word? Very cool...

OK I know this is off topic, but out of pure curiosity, where did the money go in bowling?

I'm convinced just about any hobby can be expensive. Many a lot more than astronomy/astrophotography. A friend of mine races cars at the amateur level, and astro gear looks cheap by comparison.

#18 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

What I mean is, a average league fee is like $10 + lane fees, Per night. Plus most people Drank beer. Add another $10 or so for beer unless you drank mixed drinks. Don't forget tips. Tournaments, more money. Oh, I am not saying I didn't have fun. I loved my life at the time. My point is I have nothing to show for it. When buying Astronomy stuff, you have something to show for it. So if your careful and do research before you buy, you Will have something to show for it and Have a good time while doing it.

#19 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Have you seen the prices for classic cars? $20,000 or more for vehicles people very rarely drive (except to classic car shows) and which consume fairly constant amounts in upkeep. And don't get started on boats or motorcycles, of which there are many times as many owners as those with telescopes. I would say we get at least as much enjoyment for our investnment as those folks, with a lot less depreciation involved.

#20 BarryBrown

BarryBrown

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Just as a stargazer has several telescopes, each with their own characteristics, an avid bowler will have two, three, or even more balls. The balls have different surfaces, from slick plastic to "tacky" urethane, and internally they have different distributions of weight. Plastic balls with round weights cost $50-$100 and urethane balls with dumbbell-shaped weights cost $200 and up.

The ball doesn't come with finger holes, either. That's an extra cost to have it drilled to your specifications.

Plus there are shoes for different alley surfaces, ball cleaners, league shirts, a bigger car to transport all the balls... Of course there is the usual belief that "if I just get that new, fancy ball, it'll improve my game." Yeah, bowling is its own money pit.

#21 Dennis_S253

Dennis_S253

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

It is not a money pit. It is an investment for your mind. A tool to help you realize the possible things that are out there. Looking back in time millions of years. The mind is a wonderful thing. Feed it...

#22 VooDooBlade

VooDooBlade

Sputnik

• Loc: Katy, Texas

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Looks like I got 2 money pits......
Getting ready to buy AP stuff for my scope and I have a clasic car.

Double whammy!!!!

#23 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

And don't get started on boats or motorcycles,...

Also, amateur astronomy is a lot less expensive than owning an airplane!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Posted Image

Yeah, that's me in the photo but that's not my airplane and I'm not a pilot. I went along for a ride with a friend of mine a few years ago from Houston, Texas to Chanute, Kansas (and return). He's a private pilot with instrument, multi-engine, and commercial ratings. THOSE GUYS have an expensive hobby (and passion)!!! :cool:

Upon our return to Houston, on that particular trip, I offered to pay for a fill up with av gas just as a thank you. About $450 later we were ready to leave the airport and drive back home. :shocked:

So, relax and enjoy using your telescope! It's all good. :grin:

BTW... New member here and this is my first post. Hello everyone! :wavey:

-Bob F.

#24 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Astronomy and observing can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it. I have used a cheap $30 surplus military spotting scope on a garage sale $5 tripod, as well as a 12x rifle scope wired to the same tripod. Lots of people that frequent these forums (we hardly ever hear from them) have scopes bought from Good Will and other cheap sources and do quite well with them. I was very happy with a $19 red Tasco for years.

Very recently I set myself up with a very good Mak-Cass and driven GEM for planets, which is what fascinates me. But, this was after years of experience and setting aside money. Being frugal I waited and hunted until I found a terrific sale on the GEM and the used Mak in pristine condition.

It's only a problem when you take the money for food or mortgage and spend it on anything that you can really do without; be it telescopes, rifles, cars, etc. A lot of us are content with modest equipment. Most important, to rephrase an old saying in the shooting sports, "beware the man with one scope - he probably knows how to use it!"

Ed D

You posted while I was typing. Welcome to CN, Bob.

Ed D

#25 gpelf

gpelf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

:gotpopcorn:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics