Photo

Gutenberg Crater - 'Silly' Magnification!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Nr. Scotland.

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

I was supposed to be doing some double star observing, prior to a planned rendezvous with Neptune & Uranus. But after the usual post sunset good seeing (Antoniadi II) with Saturn these past weeks it, on cue,soon broke down; and contrary to the forecast (!) cloud of increasing thickness was creeping slowly up from the south.

Due to that I decided to check out a pair of fine new eyepieces (12mm/x610) on the moon and in spite of the poor seeing there was much to see. As it looked hopeless for anything else I thought I may as well get a bit drawing practice in and as there was so much to see I decided to do the drawing at this ‘foolish’ magnification – good optics make the difference I often found over the years. Even so I profess to virtually never do a planetary drawing in worse than Antoniadi III; and my results here are very unlikely to sway me from that stance…!

Given the conditions the completeness of the drawing varies from area to area as regards finer detail. For e.g. many craterlets/pits fleetingly seen or glimpsed are not recorded, but was later pleased to find that the one on the floor of Gutenberg E was real and maybe also the minute one on the wall south of A. Also the apparent off-line shadow from Gutenberg D I find rather disconcerting – not noticing the effect at the time..!

Really my first ‘proper’ lunar drawing and I salute you guys that regularly post your lunar work on here. Even with that seeing the detail was daunting. I have developed over the years a style of firstly stump-painting planetary detail and soon found I could adapt it to the moon also; which allowed me to get things down quickly. It took some 20 minutes: a fair bit of which was too cloudy – so have to contemplate some mis-rendering I guess; and some detail was omitted – maybe we call it semi-impressionistic.

I have had the eyepieces about a month now – actually it was clear that very night the day of arrival (defying “the curse”): surely risking upsetting the space-time continuum! Maybe that the best seeing has been unusually rarer for here since has restored the status quo!

Maddeningly the seeing was judged Pickering 8 or better by 03h. but far too few holes in the cloud to delay going to bed! :(

DG

Attached Files

#2 Chuck Hastorf

Chuck Hastorf

Vostok 1

• Loc: AZ, USA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Dave

Great sketch! Please contribute more.

Chuck

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

Dave, having done a few lunar sketches, I also salute those who can take on a daunting task and put up a nice rendering. You've achieved it, too. Beautifully done.

#4 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

great sketch, very nice use of shadows.

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

Dave,

Excellent sketch of crater Gutenberg close to the setting sun terminator. The crater just to the right center of Gutenberg touching your sketch is Goclenius. The Gutenberg rilles cut through this crater and if the seeing was better you may have seen and sketched them also.

Very fine work,
Frank :)

#6 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

hi Dave,
wow, an excellent sketch !
It looks very real.

Bye
Christian

#7 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

Really my first ‘proper’ lunar

I hope to see much more in the future :waytogo:

#8 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Many thanks all – interesting challenges; I could get hooked on the moon for sure, but I’m on overload at present……..!

Frank: I did get snatches of the rilles you mention but resisted including them under the circumstances - the attached version is somewhat cropped from the original.

I got Harold Hill’s “ Lunar Portfolio” from it’s overlong stay on the bookshelf and see he has dealt with the region on pages 208-9. His first sketch pleasingly shows that he too has depicted the Gut. D shadow ‘off-line’ – seems the rim/terrain higher to that side…… :jump:

Those new EPs are impressing me more and more – maybe at last I might resolve (!) a long standing impression of a fleeting (radial?) marking on the inner wall of Plato A if the seeing obliges – not seen a clear enough hi-res image confirm or deny.

Cheers,
Dave.

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Dave,

Great sketch of the Gutenberg Crater :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

David,

An outstanding observation of Gutenberg crater. You recorded an impressive amount of detail even though you experienced poor seeing conditions. You are adept at rendering the Moon as well as the planets. Thank you for sharing it with us all. The best of luck.

Regards,
Carlos

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

David,

The stark 3D is well shown here David. The sawtooth shadows are my favorite feature - that and the raised structures bottom left that looks vaguely reminiscent of the Barons lunar city. Its got the feel conveyed very convincingly I'm sure all would agree is strictly the Provence of the observer. Much as we all love imaging the brilliance and contrast is better served here. My thoughts anyway.

I've got Hills book too Dave. I have to hit those pages now.

Pete

#12 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

I like lunar sketches in general. This one is outstanding at least in one resprect: It shows the effect of the seeing. Thank you, an keep sketching the moon please.

#13 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

Tom, Carlos, Pete, Uwe: very much appreciated……. :)

The seeing these past weeks has been true to seasonal form in that I have had great views of Saturn just after sunset – breaking down within an hour; but not recovering toward midnight as it otherwise tends to.

The morning of the 17th following the date of the sketch delivered the very good seeing (Saturn not observed) and perhaps the missing factor with recent dates was dew…..which was very heavy on this particular morning. Plus we had heavy summer showers a few hours earlier which must have cooled the locality nicely. Those other dates I noticed the scope tubes were bone dry at end-session and zero problems with the D-K optical window – but very frequent use of the hair dryer on the 17th.

The moon was great that morning but those denied targets mentioned in the OP were my priority ……sorry!

Cheers,
Dave.

#14 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

David,
Very fine drawing of Gutenberg. I've always found the odd shape of this crater fascinating. Harold Hill's book is an excellent resource and a great read.

Your lunar sketching style reminds me of that of our very own Eric Graff's style (Cildarith). :)

#15 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Many thanks Michael.

Yes it drew (!) me to it as I had been eyeing Theophilus at first - as Pete indicates that blocky structure to the south is very striking and my mind was made up when I spotted it........!

I normally use smooth paper for my drawings but I rather suspected that a medium-texture cartridge paper might lend itself to the moon. To me it suggests that incipiently glimpsed fine structure of the general surface saving a lot of work trying to depict it - if we could go to that level of detection that is!

Maybe I should dedicate the drawing to Pete as he recently queried my lunar work/drawings - virtually non-existent sadly. :grin:

#16 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

LOL - thanks Dave !!!

I'm looking forward to your Catena work. Beer, Davy and such are my favs. Nothing sizzles in great seeing these features. Perhaps ill luck out this summer .

As an aside, Harold Hill - much as I love the guys work, he seems to have been stuck in a rut with that one magnification virtually every drawing was done with! I think it was 265x or some such - I could never lock myself into such a rigid observing power!

It IS a phenomenal book.

Pete

#17 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Cool sketch Dave! Thanks for posting this.

#18 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Eric - more when I can...... :)

Dave.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics