• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

I just got a T3 that I plan to modify for astro only. I have a Nikon that I use for daylight images.

I plan to do this mod myself, but I'm unsure on which mod is best.

1. Remove the entire filter assembly leaving sensor exposed. If I do this mod I will use a Clip or 2" IR/UV filter.

2. Remove only the LPF-2 filter. Will still use a IR/UV external filter or an IDAS 2" filter.

Obviously the simplest mod is to remove the entire filter assembly. This way it can be put back later on if I decide to revert the camera back to daylight use, or sell.

However I'm concerned about the sensor being exposed. So I'm thinking maybe removing just the LPF-2 filter as a better option to protect the sensor.

I do not want to add an internal Badder or Clear glass filter, as I could care less out AF. Nor do I want the added expense.

So out of the two options which is the best for an astro only camera.

Regards,

Hemmi

#2 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Hemmi, no such thing as 'filter assembly'; trying to clarify upfront before it gets ambiguous. Each filter is an entity in itself and need to be dealt with on its own.

With that said, I would say go for full-spectrum (remove both LPF-1 and LPF-2); you should be able to compensate with external UV/IR block + light pollution suppression. You'll need to use clip UV/IR block if you were to add-on another round pollution suppression filter or vice versa. In short, full-spectrum would need room for at least two external filter compensations. Regards

Note: Sensor is never exposed; sensor has its own cover glass that can NOT be removed.

#3 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

What I meant was just remove the whole assembly containing both filters.

Thanks

#4 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

I plan on using an IDAS lps-d1 2" filter. If im not mistaken this filter also blocks IR/UV. Would I also need a Clip IR/UV filter with the IDAS LPS-D1?

Hemmi

#5 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

What I meant was just remove the whole assembly containing both filters.

Proper term would be 'sensor assembly'; yes you would remove entire sensor assembly and then remove individual filters as needed. Regards

#6 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

I plan on using an IDAS lps-d1 2" filter. If im not mistaken this filter also blocks IR/UV. Would I also need a Clip IR/UV filter with the IDAS LPS-D1?

My understanding is that LPS-D1 is a light pollution filter (and may NOT be intended as one-filter-solution for full-spectrum mod).

You may want to look at HEUIB-II filter for UV/IR block for full-spectrum mod.

Also remember it is NOT generally possible to use two round filters at the same time so you may need to mix and match rounds with clips for daisy chaining.

Note: Some filter combinations I have tested with full-spectrum mod here.... I have yet to test HEUIB-II... with full-spectrum and with other (clip) filter combinations. Regards

#7 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

I guess what I was trying to say is, I can just remove the retaining spring and the plastic filter housing that contains the 2 filters completely (what I was calling assembly). This way I can just set it aside, and install it back later if I choose to revert the mod.

I just wanted to make sure there was no need to actually remove remove the filters from the plastic housing and reinstall the housing on the sensor assembly.

Thanks for the information.

Regards,

Hemmi

#8 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hemmi, I understand; yes, T3 I think has a 'removable' filter assembly (contrary to other types) and you potentially could just remove it. What I am not sure if it may lead to any reflections/anomalies due to complete assembly not being there. Most folks I think remove the filters and place back the filter assembly. No doubt it will be a good experiment; first try without filter assembly and if you run into any light anomalies you can always put the empty filter assembly back. Good luck with your mod. Regards

#9 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

I modded my camera today by removing all filters. However I had one boo boo. The tiny socket for the tiny blue ribbon cable for the rear buttons broke. This only affects rear buttons and not really an issue for astro since I will be remotely controlling the camera via USB. However it is kind of a bummer.

Anyway ran a set of darks and flats to check the camera and all seems well. No odd things such as dust, dirt, etc sen in flats. 30 sec darks at ISO 6400 do not show anything odd.

I was able to test a lens on the camera, and I was able to manually reach focus to test the image, and all looks good.

So I think the camera will work for astro...We will see what happens when I get it under the stars!

Hemmi

#10 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Look forward to your astro results; external filtering will be critical with full-spectrum mod. Sorry to hear about the ribbon cable. Regards

#11 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Look forward to your astro results; external filtering will be critical with full-spectrum mod. Sorry to hear about the ribbon cable. Regards

Thanks at least it was nothing critical, i never plan on using the camera buttons anyway. now that i think anout it, I should go back an unplug the lcd also, as its just a source of heat that I dont need.

hemmi

#12 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Here is a test shot via my 80mm APO. I am only using an IDAS-D1 filter, no separate IR filter. Color balance is set to AUTO.

I think the color is correct, and looking at the spectrum of the IDAS-D1, it blocks IR/UV. I think I will be OK with just this filter alone.

Attached Files

#13 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Yes, I would give it a try. Regards

#14 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Look at DSLR settings here...; set your white balance to daylight as you do AP. Regards

#15 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

LOL I'm kind of stuck on default settings, since I busted the ribbon cable to the rear buttons. But I can change WB via EOS Utility. Do you know of a way to set the other setings via USB? or am I just stuck?

#16 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

Would BackyardEOS work for you?
Pierre

#17 Hemmi

Hemmi

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

Would BackyardEOS work for you?
Pierre

Sure it would work, and I own it. But it will not change the camera settings. All you can change from backyard EOS is just the exposure, IOS, white balance, etc. You can not make any other changes.

Im not sure there is a way to change these settings except thru the rear buttons..and since mine are broke, I'm SOL.

Hemmi

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics