• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 barbarosa

barbarosa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: "lamorinda", CA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

This is a heads up owners of an AVS camera in the Mark series. Astro-Video Systems will upgrade the camera firmware and remote to the new the new MK IV versions.

Here is the (lightly edited) text of his offer.

Any upgrade from MK , MK II , MK III to the current MK IV is FREE.

This includes any MK series camera starting with the very first ever sold by AVS.

You ship only the camera head and hand remote to me and only pay for the round trip.

I upgrade the hardware and firmware in both camera and remote for free .

The old style 2013 cameras and remotes (the remote with the large red freeze button) are upgraded to the MK IV level, including all the new functionality.
The MK IV upgrade brings the following main improvements:

- eliminates the white flash protection screen.

- No more having to fine tune all sorts of settings to keep color saturation. Now it's set and forget.

The camera does it all and colors are always maintaining their saturation at any integration, stacking, AGC, brightness level combination.

- Noise is reduced even further compared to any previous versions.

I took advantage of the previous and less radical upgrade and it was well worth postage. The cam and remote come in under 12oz, costing me a whopping big $7.00 for priority mail from California to Florida. I could have saved 3 bucks using regular mail. Either way I think that this is a genuine good deal. :jump:

#2 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:27 PM

I concur. The upgrade (firmware) is free and is a huge jump in the cameras abilities. Super noise reduction and in-camera stacking is producing some great captures :jump:.

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

I concur. The upgrade (firmware) is free and is a huge jump in the cameras abilities. Super noise reduction and in-camera stacking is producing some great captures :jump:.

You've got a remarkably generous Vendor - well done everyone :-)

Can you point me to sample DSO pics via these cameras -TIA.

#4 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

I think the best places to look would be in the pictures section of the Yahoo group or Matt's Astro-Video System's website:

https://groups.yahoo...stro-video/info

http://www.astro-vid...ser-images.html

I would also think the quality will improve once the APU-1 is released and the MK-IV upgrades get into the hands of the owners.

#5 Dom543

Dom543

Mariner 2

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

There are some in thread #6342127
http://www.cloudynig...AA/Number/63...
Or search for John59 in the gallery.
--Dom

#6 John59

John59

Viking 1

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

I added my last session in the gallery.
These were with the MK IV.

#7 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Mariner 2

• Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Just got my camera back from the upgrade process.  However the weather here in the Carolinas recently is more suited to SCUBA diving rather than Astronomy.   :storm:

However after reading up on the settings and new workflows it sounds like it will be well worth the wait!

-Mike

#8 John59

John59

Viking 1

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Just got my camera back from the upgrade process.  However the weather here in the Carolinas recently is more suited to SCUBA diving rather than Astronomy.   :storm:

However after reading up on the settings and new workflows it sounds like it will be well worth the wait!

-Mike

Did you get out with the camera yet?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics