• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Honis

Gary Honis

Vendor-DSLR Mods

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

In April, I bought an Orion HDX110 mount. It has been working well for me. The only problem I have had is a broken pier adjustment bolt that three months later, Orion has still not replaced. My guiding RMS errors have been averaging a half arcsecond at the imager in RA and DEC, based on results from PHDLab. I used PHDLab to measure the mount's PE and results are posted here:

http://GaryHonis.com...14HDX110PE.html

I posted a Youtube video showing how I set up and tear down in the field here:

http://youtu.be/Ge1zG8-Y1kA

The video begins with the boxes that were shipped and shows how I use a hydraulic lift table in the field to set up and tear down the mount and AT12RC scope in the field to avoid back problems. It may be useful for others that are considering the mount for field use.

First astro images using the mount are posted here:

http://GaryHonis.com...S/052214CS.html

Attached Files

#2 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Viking 1

• Loc: O'Fallon, MO

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Gary,

thanks for posting the video. I've been on the ledge about moving to one of these or an AP/SB mount. I'm somewhat spoiled by the ease of use and setup with my Orion Atlas. It looks like the HDX110/EQ-8 requires quite a bit of work to get going.

Dan

#3 sdakotaastro

sdakotaastro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Currently In Chile

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for posting.. before I purchased my AP mount, I was thinking or an Orion.. glad I didn't with poor customer service like that.

#4 Gary Honis

Gary Honis

Vendor-DSLR Mods

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

Hi Dan,

I imaged for six years with the Orion Atlas mount and that is what prompted me to stay with Orion (Sky-Watcher)for a beefier mount for the larger telescope I now use. What I like is that I can use all the same software, especially EQMOD, so it was easy software-wise to move to the larger mount. Two days after receiving the mount I was imaging with it in the field.

I think most are buying the HDX110/EQ8 mount for permanent installations, but I have heard from a few that are using them as portable mounts. I hurt my back a few times in recent years, and am worried about heavy lifting, so the hydraulic lift cart has taken care of that issue.

The HDX110/EQ8 mount is in a different class than the Atlas. I like the altitude adjustment since it works so well. It is a major improvement over the Atlas altitude adjustment. The polar alignment scope is a little easier to use on the HDX110/EQ8, from the standpoint that you don't have to bend as low to look through it and it has a ring to rotate, instead of rotating the entire mount. The power cable connection was always a problem on the Atlas, the HDX110 power connection is rock solid. The pier tripod of the HDX110 is better than the Atlas tripod from the standpoint that there is more room for imaging gear to avoid hitting obstacles.

#5 FTLAUDSKY

FTLAUDSKY

Explorer 1

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Thank you for the video. I was looking at the HDX110 as my next mount. It is a bargain for payload capacity and low P/E. I researched the EQ8 (twin brother) for over a month to find out how it was working in the field. One person was doing over 15 min unguided with great pictures. Most people seemed to have great results with a few reports of having backlash issues. It was enough to stop me from buying immediately and see if they can fix it at the factory. I know they now have three holes to adjust it on one axis as a work around. I still think it's a great value for what you get and is on my short list. It is a mass produced mount and the tolerances are not going to be equal to the top tier mounts so unless someone is willing to pay the premium they should expect some kind of issues. Even the top tiers has slight issues so no mount is perfect. Thank you again for posting and please let us know how you like it.

#6 SteveGR

SteveGR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Very interesting, Gary. Thank you! That looks like one beefy mount. Is the AT12RC the primary scope you will use on this mount? Or will you be swapping it out with other scopes as well?

#7 skywolf856

skywolf856

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

I love your solution for lift assist!

#8 Gary Honis

Gary Honis

Vendor-DSLR Mods

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

Hi Steve,

Yes, I plan to image with the AT12RC as my primary scope on the mount for a few years. It was the reason I bought the HDX110 mount. For the past six years I have been imaging with a 5" triplet refractor using an Atlas mount, was running out of objects to image and decided to move up to a longer focal length scope.

#9 SteveGR

SteveGR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

Hi Steve,

Yes, I plan to image with the AT12RC as my primary scope on the mount for a few years. It was the reason I bought the HDX110 mount. For the past six years I have been imaging with a 5" triplet refractor using an Atlas mount, was running out of objects to image and decided to move up to a longer focal length scope.

Well, that jump in aperture size should certainly give you some new targets. :)

#10 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

The hydraulic lift is a genius idea. I think I should get one of those to help me load things into the back of my truck without hurting my back.

#11 Dhellis59

Dhellis59

Explorer 1

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Awesome video and problem solving/solution development.  Thanks for sharing.  You are living the dream!

Congratulations and clear skies,

Darryl

#12 geminijk

geminijk

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Very nice video, enjoy the mount! 

John

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics