NEW ES 102CF - Arrived Today

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#51 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

• Loc: Tennessee

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

No, its a 30 year old Realistic STA-2080 in like new condition. They just dont make them this way any more. After many years, I had to do a deep cleaning and replace a few potentiometers and its like new again.

#52 jimbo728

jimbo728

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central NH

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

I used to have Pioneer 77`s with the same appearance. You are right, they do not make them like that anymore.
Best of luck with the new 102.
Jim

#53 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Nice shot of the front lens. Mine was pretty dusty when it arrived, though the scope looked perfectly new. The dust was on the back and possibly some between. Has anyone sent one back for cleaning? Do they do a good job? I know a bit of dust on the lens isn't supposed to make a difference, but your looks much cleaner.

having a terrible time trying to do so, been over 1 month, stil havent got a shipping label from them, very upsetting/disappointing experience. Everytime i talk to them they say they are sending a new label. At first the label is sent by e-mail, which they apparently sent 4 times, but i checked all of my e-mail folders (junk, spam, etc..) and it is not in there. They were supposed to send an actual hard copy shipping label in the mail last week, but i just talked to them and it appear they forgot or didn't do it, so this is the 6th time they are "sending" a label :(

#54 Michaeln

Michaeln

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northern, VA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Wow. Great looking scope. Are planning to use it imaging or visual? I have been looking at the 127CF as a possible scope for imaging.

#55 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

I plan on both if the skys will clear. It has been rainy and cloudy seems like forever.

#56 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Attached File  post-91356-1407432051104_thumb.jpg   70.54KB   1 downloads

First Light Update:

After a long wait for the clouds to clear, I got to use this scope and the images are super good! The optics after much testing were found to be just at 1/7 wave! They show overcorrection which is much better than undercorrection as the previous is easier to correct should one decide to do so. The images I saw were very, very sharp and color free, even at 75x per inch! This included the limb of a 3/4 full moon. In shop testing shows very smooth polish and good correction. The only color that was seen was the palest of blue in the first two diffraction rings and this was at the threshold of visibility. Others that viewed this test setup could not detect any color at all. This was at 75x per inch and a zero magnitude false star at 100’ away.

Comparing the ES102 vs Celestron C6 XLT

In the first set of test, I used the same power for each subject, in each scope to determine visible detail. The first subject was Saturn, this was both at 150x and then at 300x in each scope. Both scopes were on the same mount. This made sure they both used the same tracking, position, light pollution, etc. Saturn looked the same brightness in both scopes at 150x and 300x. A few times it seemed that the ES had just ever so slightly, a brighter image at 300x! The C6 image at 300x looked more brown/orange where the image in the ES102 was more white. The detail or low level contrast items were seen easier with the ES. For example, the detail that could be seen on the ball of Saturn was darker and more apparent with the ES. The Cassini division was darker and more defined with the ES as was the Crepe Ring! I must also state that my copy of the C6 is a very good copy testing better than 1/6 wave.

Saturn: The ES102 Wins

Now the Moon at 150x looked very good and the same with both scopes. I looked and swapped the view many times and I just have to say they looked the same. So I bumped up to 300x and while the overall detail looked the same, the image in the ES was steadier, which was to be expected. As I started looking for low level detail, I again found them much easier to see in the ES102. I never saw any detail in the ES that I could not see in the C6 but it was always easier to see in the ES and the view had more pop to it and just looked cleaner.

Moon: The ES102 Wins

The seeing became very turbulent after viewing and comparing the moon views, so the test ended but more testing will be done as the weather permits. But for now, I can say I am very happy with what I see through the scope as well as what I see when looking at the scope! The ES102CF is just a gorgeous looking piece of gear.

Edited by PowellAstro, 07 August 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#57 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

• Loc: West of the Mississippi

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

Well you finally got to view thru it. Sounds like it performs real good. How did the focuser work out? Does it rotate with ease? Be interesting to see how it does on DSO objects. Like M13 etc. You keep making things harder and harder about an 102 triplet.

Hope all is better with you.

-------------------------

later  Bill

#58 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

This focuser is very good with great holding power. It is solid and smooth but It is not silky smooth but works just as it should and is precise.  The rotation is silky smooth and works great.  I think the reason this focuser does not feel quite as smooth is that it is an 8:1 reduction. However, it does not effect how it works and the drive shaft is almost 3x larger than others.

#59 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

If I do decide to get the ES102 triplet it will most likley be the Essential model. Will save a few dollars unless they have a heck of a sale or find a real good used CF model. Next spring is not that far away. Next time you are able to get it out when the sky is right check out DSO objects thats what I really enjoy looking at the most.  Thanks later

Bill

#60 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

When the sky is right I will do some images of all type objects and post them!

#61 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

Glad you finally got some decent skies to get out with your new CF 102. Your oberservations of the 102 and C6 on Saturn compare to what I have seen in my SV102 doublet and larger aaperture SCT's.  There is just a little more detail and contrast in the 4" refractor.  But if I had excellent seeing, maybe the SCT pulls ahead a bit.  Hope you continue to enjoy it.

Bill

#62 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

Thanks Bill,

One thing I didnt report was I used a Meade SWA 2 inch 40mm 67degree eyepiece for a 3.7 degree FOV and the image was so nice, pinpoint stars to the edge and the sky so black and the stars were so bright any tight! Even though the 40mm is not super corrected at the edge, in this scope it is a great combo.

Edited by PowellAstro, 07 August 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#63 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Congratulations on your great performing scope. One seventh of a wave is excellent. I have the "Essential" version of the 102 and I'm very happy with it's performance. I'll be getting an Interferogram report from ES for my particular scope in about a month. Looking forward to seeing it. Gerry

#64 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

Glen; Did you try the ES 30mm 82deg eyepiece in it yet? I use it in the AR152 and love it. Its my go to finder eyepiece and then either the 8mm Delos or the ES 8.8 but the Delos wins that contest but the ES is also good.   Thanks

----------------------

Bill

#65 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Congratulations on your great performing scope. One seventh of a wave is excellent. I have the "Essential" version of the 102 and I'm very happy with it's performance. I'll be getting an Interferogram report from ES for my particular scope in about a month. Looking forward to seeing it. Gerry

You too! I think these 102 scopes are just the perfect size for portability and performance.  I had a 125mm Mak but by the time I had the power up in the 200x plus range, the object was to dim for my liking, this is not the case with the ES 102 APO! 

#66 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Why would the image be dimmer in the 125 MCT at 200X?  Is the focal ratio really slow so that the resulting exit pupil is smaller than the 102?  

Bill

#67 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

At the same magnification, the larger scope will have the larger EP, which was the case in my test. However, Saturn looked dimmer even with a larger EP. This has to be because of transmission through the scope, showing a higher total throughput from the APO. This may also just be the intensity of the airy disks that make up the image having more energy  in the APO. This is back to one reason refractors have better contrast.

#68 DaveG

DaveG

Mariner 2

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Wow, that's a gorgeous telescope. 

#69 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

@ DaveG

Thank you, I really do like the way it looks and the OTA is only 7lbs! I have not had but just a little time between clouds to use it but the images it puts up are very good. I plan to post some images taken with this scope once the sky clears up.

#70 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:13 PM

I guess I will just pull the lenses out of this thing and play around with them because all we have here are clouds and rain. If I cant look through it, I can take it apart and look at it! Ill be sure to take some pictures  :lol:

#71 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

You are in the same boat I am in with clouds. It did clear enough last night to see the super moon. I did set up for it and it was awsome with the AR152. I did not have to use the 495 long pass filter. There was a little CA but not enough to bother me. The 8mm Delos was really super on it. The weather lasted about 1 or so hour and here come the clouds. Have fun taking that scope apart. Be interesting to see what can be done.  Later

---------------------

Bill

#72 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

I had the ES 102CF out tonight viewing Saturn at 300x !  It put up a super, super, did I say super image of Saturn. Cloud bands visible and all three rings with great, razor sharp detail! The C6 could not even get close. The image in the 102 was again a little brighter than the C6 and the 102 showed more detail and better contrast. This night being better for high power, the 102 had even more contrast advantage than last time. I am really liking this unit and I am very picky about the optics I use.

#73 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Well sounds like you are getting it tuned into where it should be. Did you try the ES 30mm 82 in it yet? In this 152 thats my favorite

and next is the TV 8mm Delos. Lance was telling me yesterday they are coming out real soon with a new focuser? Have to wait and see what it is.  :waytogo:

-----------------------

Bill

#74 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:19 AM

I used the ES 30mm 82 degree on the 102 tonight. Great views and sharp to the very edge of the field. The field looked much better than I had expected. This combo will get used way more, now that I have seen what it delivers. The stars are so tight and bright, like diamonds on velvet. Thanks for getting me to try it, very nice!

#75 Dakota1

Dakota1

Viking 1

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

I thought that the ES 30mm 82mm might do a good job with that scope. Like I said it sure works in on this AR152 same thing sharp to the edges and pin point. Thats another thing I am thinking real hard on is weight reduction.  Thanks

Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics