• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 Mr Onions

Mr Onions

Two Time International Photographical Competition Winner

• Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Great write up.

Sounds like it performs as good as it looks.

Amazing to think you can get a 4" triplet of this quality at these prices.

#77 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

This just arrived today and the new scope spell is on it's job as the clouds rolled in and looks like it will be that way for the next 5 days or so. Anyway, here are a few pics of the new scope. It looks better than the pictures show!

Glen, out of curiosity, you said you tested your  lens to 1/7th wave. Did you ever send for the interferometry test that ES says they will supply to anyone that buys one of their Triplets? It would be interesting to see how it compares with your results. Assuming their tests are accurate (read honest), I'm looking forward to seeing the results on my particular lens. I have an AP 6" so I know good ptics when I see it and this 102mm lens that I have seems to be excellent. Gerry

#78 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

• Loc: Tennessee

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

I did get it and it shows:

PV = .147

RMS = .021

9736 Points Tested

This confirms my test of 1/7th wave!

#79 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Excellent! Thanks, Gerry

#80 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

I have it setup and on Saturn now. Saturn is very low, 20 degees or less but even so, I am using 300x on it and it is just beautiful and razor sharp. All three rings easy to see and cloud detail. I really like this scope. Yes my 8 or 14 can produces this kind of image 1 or 2 times a year but this ES102CF has all ready shown this kind of detail on more than a half dozen nights within two weeks! Love it! And it sure is easy to setup! If you've been thinking about getting one, do it, you will love it  :D

Edited by PowellAstro, 28 August 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#81 crixt

crixt

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: St. Pete, FL

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

PV = .147

RMS = .021

9736 Points Tested

What is the more important stat?  RMS or PV?  Or is the wave calc a mix of both?  Sorry, not sure how to calculate it. 

#82 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

RMS is the better overall indicator.

#83 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Just an update. I have the unit out now viewing the Moon and at 608x ! It is still razor sharp at 151x per inch of aperture! I am using the ES 4.7mm 82 degree eyepiece and two 2x APO barlows. I was shocked to see how well the image holds up at 151x per inch. I expected the image to soften up at this power but it is still super sharp! There is no sign of any color even at this magnification. The more I use it, the more I am really, really liking this scope. It is definitely now my most used unit. Super light, super sharp and super good to look at, what more can you want. Next on the list is getting some imaging done with it, just need a break on some good seeing on a weekend. It has been cloudy and rainy everyk weekend for the last month.

#84 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

PV = .147

RMS = .021

9736 Points Tested

I emailed ES for the interferometry on my 102 triplet. I had to give them the serial number and I'm waiting for the result. If mine is anywhere as good as yours, I'll be a happy camper. Gerry

#85 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

It is hard to believe that a 4" refractor's magnification can be pushed this high to produce a sharp/high contrast image.  But seeing is believing, I guess.  I own a SV 4" doublet and it can produce sharp planetary/double star images at about 250X, but I have never tried to push it more than that yet.

Bill 

#86 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Yes I know. I use the 4.7mm eyepiece all the Time for 152x and then with my barlow 2x for just over 300x. That's what I was using on the moon the other night and it was so sharp I grabbed my second 2x barlow just for grins. I was stunned to see how it held up and how sharp the image still was. It will most likely be to dim on any other object but maybe some double stars but the moon was awesome!

#87 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

Sounds like that scope is a keeper.  I also thought that at that high of magnifications for a 4" scope, the images would be getting fairly dim with the small exit pupils, but since the targets were pretty bright to begin with, you might be able to still see some details.

Bill

#88 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

Try it on yours on the moon, it is still plenty bright at 600x. Matters fact, it is about the right brightness as at the lower powers it is still a little to bright IMO.

#89 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:25 PM

Just an update. I have the unit out now viewing the Moon and at 608x ! It is still razor sharp at 151x per inch of aperture! I am using the ES 4.7mm 82 degree eyepiece and two 2x APO barlows. I was shocked to see how well the image holds up at 151x per inch. I expected the image to soften up at this power but it is still super sharp! There is no sign of any color even at this magnification. The more I use it, the more I am really, really liking this scope. It is definitely now my most used unit. Super light, super sharp and super good to look at, what more can you want. Next on the list is getting some imaging done with it, just need a break on some good seeing on a weekend. It has been cloudy and rainy everyk weekend for the last month.

i do that kind of stuff all the time and people here think i am retarded or something, i also have about 4 inch refractor and got saturn pretty sharp at 618x, it didnt provide any more detail than 200x, but more importantly the image didn't break down, very nice

#90 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

I enjoy pushing the gear to the limit plus you can find things about the scope you may miss at lower powers. Mine was very close on collimation and looked good and correct until I went to 600, then I could see it was off a little bit. After a final tweek things got very sharp at 600x. Again at 150x and 300x I could not see that it was off a little. And that little bit made more than a little difference.

#91 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

i do that kind of stuff all the time and people here think i am retarded or something, i also have about 4 inch refractor and got saturn pretty sharp at 618x, it didnt provide any more detail than 200x, but more importantly the image didn't break down, very nice

I don't think it's "retarded" at all. It's fun to experiment with a new scope to see what it can do. When I first got my AP 6" I had the power up over 1000x. I've had my ES102 up to 350x just for the fun of it. That's part of the hobby. People call high powers like that "empty magnification" but who cares! Gerry

#92 PowellAstro

PowellAstro

Apollo

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

Anyone use the ES flattener for this scope and if so how did it do?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics