• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Brian P

Brian P

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Went out to my Pod last weekend. It's on a deck on ground, with insect screening installed on the underside of the deck, and rubber anti-fatigue matting on the inside on top of the deck boards.

Floor felt lumpy. Pulled it up and a sleepy garter snake looked back at me. Picked him up and tossed him out...and then found FIVE more sleeping between the rubber mats and the deck. :confused:

Any success or ideas on keeping them out? They must be getting in around the pier (I'm going to try to seal it better), or they're crawling in between the insect screen and the floor.

#2 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

{comment removed by mods}

#3 SkyGibbon

SkyGibbon

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Install a mongoose.

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

{comment removed by mods}

#5 Dan M

Dan M

Vostok 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

:funny:

I am not sure what to do to protect against garters, they are small and slim. I think your idea of sealing off around the pier is a good first step. Is the outside perimeter around the POD (where it meets the deck) caulked\sealed in anyway?

#6 Star-gaze69

Star-gaze69

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

You could try to tempt them away from your dome with a big bowl of earthworms. That's what I used to feed mine when I kept snakes as pets. The garters would rear up and take the worms right out my fingers. Darnednest thing you ever saw.

#7 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Dan M,

Dude I agree. I have no idea what you can do :/

#8 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Let the cat or a Terrier at them! Like mice they can get into pretty small spaces. Start closing off any holes and cracks.

#9 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

Get a bigger snake! Some snakes like King Snakes prey on other snakes! ;)

#10 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

+1

#11 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 19 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

Thats pretty crazy. At least they were harmless snakes. I still would be startled in the dark to come across a snack on my observatory desk. I don't know if some closed cell foam could be squeezed between the pier and the decking. Should transfer much vibration.

#12 Stephen Kennedy

Stephen Kennedy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

I grew up in rural New England and often encountered garter snakes but never so many in one spot and only in buildings during the winter when they are trying to get out of the cold. We had two that would curl up on top of our furnace in the basement during the winter.

Typically, their favorite prey is frogs, toads and mice. If your observatory is near water or an open field there may be a source of food that is attracting them. They are not venomous nor aggressive but could bite if handled.

#13 sickfish

sickfish

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Watertown Ma.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

They have repellant for snakes. Best bet is to find out how they get in and fix it.

#14 Brian P

Brian P

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

--> I am not sure what to do to protect against garters, they are small and slim. I think your idea of sealing off around the pier is a good first step. Is the outside perimeter around the POD (where it meets the deck) caulked\sealed in anyway?

It's not sealed. I may try to put quarter inch hardware mesh all around, buried a little into the ground.

Verified over the weekend that the varmints move out to hunt in the field during the day. Overcast so I didn't check at night.

According to most sources, snake repellant almost never works. Check out the Mythbusters episode on that one.

On the plus side, the number of crickets that used to get into my dome seems to have gone down!

--> f your observatory is near water or an open field there may be a source of food that is attracting them.

Oh yeah, it's snake heaven; two acres of wild meadow. I only mow about 5 feet around the dome deck. I don't consider them hazardous to *me*, I'm more worried about stepping on the poor guys!

#15 Norm Meyer

Norm Meyer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Warren, ME 04864

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Brian,
I have a small roll off roof observatory and
I have garter snakes come in occasionally. I
welcome them they are harmless but they do scare off the mice.
the larger ones would probably kill the baby mice and
insects also. Once you realize they may be in the obs
you won't be startled as much.

Regards Norm

#16 SteveGR

SteveGR

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

I don't mind snakes, but then in my location there is only one venomous type, and it is both very rare and not very aggressive. There used to be a lot of garter snakes in my area, and they were harmless. I appreciated the fact that they controlled vermin.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics