Digital Video Stabilizer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RandyC

RandyC

Messenger

• Loc: RI

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hello, I recently picked up a video stabilizer. It's a cheap little device that helps clear up vertical banding, cable noise and interference. It doesn't seem to affect resolution or the image in any way. Not a bad little gadget. http://www.amazon.co...0_i00?ie=UTF...

#2 David B in NM

David B in NM

Messenger

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Randy,

You sure do like those electronic gadgets to tweak the image between the camera and the screen. Do you have a cabinet or something to house your enhancement devices in while your viewing?

David B in NM

#3 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

• Loc: Westchester, NY

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Is this any different than a DVE?

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

"Video Stabilizer" is the codeword for macrovision remover. It attempts to remove many "damaged" NTSC-standards signal (e.g., sync signal removal/reversal, disturbed black level, etc.) then occasionally add some proc-amp functionalities at the same time as a side benefit.

DVE does almost the same except that proc-amp is the primary goal and occasionally it does the reversal of macrovision's damage.

This brings up an interesting question: a videocam, modified (even you "push" it to the limit) or unmodified, is supposed to still deliver a NTSC-compliant signal. Why that device is not is beyond me.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#5 RandyC

RandyC

Messenger

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Is this any different than a DVE?

what is a DVE?

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

One use for the acronym DVE is digital video enhancer from Mallincam. This device was a slightly modified time base corrector. It would clean up the video image a bit and enhance the black level. This seemed to create a smoother and darker background so faint objects showed up a bit better.

A similar device (but with no astro video oriented modifications) is
http://www.bhphotovi...710_AVT_8710...

#7 RandyC

RandyC

Messenger

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

My Xtreme is giving off some interference that passes through the image. I used video smoothing in Miloslick, but this band of interference passes through every couple seconds. I was hoping this device would eliminate it, but hasn't. It stinks when the interference band is right over my object when I take a snapshot. I have excellent quality cables and am on an AC-powered setup.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

The rolling interference is very likely 60hz noise from the AC. It can often be difficult to get rid of.

Try a different AC 12v power supply for the camera. Are you using the model that came with the camera? The original is a nice little 12v switching supply that puts out something like 12.1v. They have been known to fail but in general they're a nice clean power source for the camera. 

Try reversing any AC plugs (including any of the wall wart style power supplies) that can be reversed. 

Try a 12v battery for just the camera as a trouble shooting step.

Separate the power lines (either AC or DC) from the video cables when they are running parallel (don't bundle them together). It's usually ok to have them cross at 90°, but for the purposes of troubleshooting a noise problem I would even avoid that.

Even the best cables can sometimes be the cause too ... I would after trying some of the power ideas also swap out some of the video cables.

#9 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

I use a 'power tank' I got from Costco exclusively for the camera power to ensure there is no noise from AC power.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics