Classic Telescope Pricing

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#101 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Vanguard

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

CharlieB would be the expert on your Optica b/c scope...

Based on your description, I would think it's a Royal Astro product -- photos would help confirm it.  If it's a complete LN3-E (GEM & Pedestal), and in good condition, it might be worth $200 to an RAO collector.

If it looks similar to this 1970's Towa, you'll be lucky to get $100 for it.

Attached Files

#102 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:38 AM

I can't buy the notion that, because it's a free country, it's okay to pile one's classic telescopes in the back yard and burn them. It should be and is legal, yes, as is necessary to prevent tyranny, but that does not make it "okay." Ownership of fine items is best enjoyed with a sense of responsibility to the objects, and respect toward others who value them.

A sense of stewardship is honorable and necessary to a civil society. There are only so many classic telescopes, fine violins, letters bearing George Washington's signature, and paintings by Vermeer in this world. If you're tired of your scopes, sell them, or give them away. When a bonfire is desired, burn firewood. 

I think that it is also necessary to a civil society, that its individuals attain the ability to understand a metaphor and not take it literally. But then again, given current situations abroad and at home, sadly it seems we haven't all yet acheived that state of development.

• amicus sidera and pdxmoon like this

#103 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

"Vintage Unitron telescope with box and gimbal. For parts or repair". Unitron 142 minus parts.

This one sold for a little over $800 including the shipping. It seems a pretty good buy at that price considering what the 142 mounts alone sell for.

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

#104 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

That was pretty good.  Without really knowing the required restoration cost to bring it up to collectable standards the price might have been right on. 

#105 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

The price of a telescope all depends on how many people want that scope at the same time :lol:

#106 kansas skies

kansas skies

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

Sitting for hours with your eye glued to an eyepiece on a perfectly clear and moonless night as the sub-zero temperature and snow up to your knees threaten to turn your body into a human block of ice - all the while attempting to let your eyes and your mind adapt to the darkness to the extent that you finally catch a glimpse of that elusive Horsehead Nebula in an inexpensive (classic?) 90mm refractor:  Priceless

In my opinion, price seldom equates to value...

Bill

• Geo31 and DocFinance like this

#107 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

Here's something I wanted to post here, an article about "pickers".  In this case it was a Barbie picker.  He calls himself a "garage sale swindler" because he buys unopened Barbies and sells them online.  It's here

http://spherecontent...-sale-swindler/

How is it related?  Because he's taking his time and energy to know the market, to search diligently for the deals, and then to make them available to people who collect.  Yet, he feels the need to explain himself as a "swindler," I guess because he knows more about the value of something than the seller does.  Maybe he thinks he's taking advantage of people (and maybe he is).

In any case, I think part of the controversy about the Craigslist thread is related to the fact that ebay and craigslist and other outlets have taken away the advantage that someone might have from combing their local sales and flea markets.  When I grew up, most of the nice things I owned came from a yard sale or the equivalent booth at a flea market or from trading with other folks (that, or I made it).  Not the clothes on my back, but I knew plenty of people for whom that was true, too.  That was the lifestyle we got to live - if you wanted something other than what you had, you earned enough and then dickered for it.  Or you "picked" things to horse-trade.  You bought things at pawn shops or second-hand stores or damaged freight stores, and thrift shops (only in the bigger towns back then) were a special treat.  Did we ever "know" the value of something?  Nope.  But usually we bought things based on their value to US.  If we bought things we would use, it was because we knew we could benefit from using it.  If we bought something to barter, it had to be relatively stable in value and well understood and evaluated easily.

Now that there's an Internet it's so much easier to figure out values because of boards like CN and others.  And it's easier to find an audience of people who want to buy something or sell something.   Remember the Starry Messenger?  That was the Wild West compared to now.

So if our CL thread makes it harder to get something for nothing, that's unfortunate.  I'd rather see sellers get fairly compensated so there will be more sellers, and then there will be more buyers, and so on.  That's how a market works.  It's a beautiful thing.

• rowdy388 likes this

#108 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

It is fortunate that the seller gets a higher price for an item.  However, people with limited funds are priced out of the market.  The once great deal is slowly vanishing.   There are people out there who would love to be able to enjoy astronomy on a limited budget, but because of all the information now available those local deals are rapidly vanishing. That great deal only seen by people in that small town is now seen by everyone worldwide.  So with the increased competition for that unit the great deal quickly vanishes.

#109 Bob Myler

Bob Myler

Surveyor 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:13 PM

Decent deals are still out there if you're willing to work for them.

Today, I "picked" two department store refractors for $10 and $15, both in excellent condition in their original boxes.

After disposing of what's 'bad' in them - and refurbishing of what's 'good' - they will be awarded to two Cub Scouts in my wife's Den....

• terraclarke, kansas skies and DocFinance like this

#110 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

How about opinions on the value of a clean looking orange C14 with mount and tripod, a bunch of old EP's including Naglers, a C5 OTA, two finders, cases for everything, original Celestron drive corrector and all kinds of filters including some that look like narrow band. 

Optical quality unknown.

#111 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

We need to start an appraisal thread

#112 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

We need to start an appraisal thread

Bite your tongue...... :lol: 

#113 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Why not start one. Instead of all these prices all over the place we can at least set some reasonable guide lines.   Maybe, if people pay attention we can bring some order to things.  Right now it is out of control.   You see the same scope go anywhere from $50 to $400.   All we say is that is outrageous, but only provide comments for our amusement. 

• Geo31 likes this

#114 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Welll,,,,,,If you must ,  go ahead then , at best all it will do is appreciate the value of my present collection... :moneyeyes:  :lol:

#115 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Why not start one. Instead of all these prices all over the place we can at least set some reasonable guide lines.   Maybe, if people pay attention we can bring some order to things.  Right now it is out of control.   You see the same scope go anywhere from $50 to $400.   All we say is that is outrageous, but only provide comments for our amusement. 

So isn't that admitting that there are still deals out there? After all if its really only worth half the high price, someone is selling it for one quarter that amount. The mere fact that there is that kind of range indicates to me than one can still get deals if one shops around. Let the market settle it! we don't need to start an appraisal thread here. Lets leave well enough alone and quit beating this dead horse. We gotta get over this and MOVE ON!

#116 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Apollo

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

We gotta get over this and MOVE ON!

BECAUSE   ? :scratchhead:

#117 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Let's see . . . that would be 4 threads all talking about pricing.   Do we need another one?   Maybe CN needs a separate board.   "Telescope appraisal & Pricing"

#118 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

Rather than start yet another thread, why doesn't somebody who is interested, maybe a retiree or person with lots of time on their hands that would otherwise be spent reading posts like this, start some kind of a price guide?  A Kelley's Blue Book type of thing for telescopes and astro hardware.  

I seem to remember something like this in the past, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.  It may have even been pre-Internet.

#119 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Rather than start yet another thread, why doesn't somebody who is interested, maybe a retiree or person with lots of time on their hands that would otherwise be spent reading posts like this, start some kind of a price guide?  A Kelley's Blue Book type of thing for telescopes and astro hardware.  

I seem to remember something like this in the past, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.  It may have even been pre-Internet.

It's still there. www.telescopebluebook.com

It used to be a subscription thing but now it's free and not well maintained. It had to be a lot of work; it wasn't just some guy stating what HE thought stuff was worth but was instead a calculation based on a compendium of successful sales ads from several sources.

That only works for items with substantial sales traffic, of course.

If someone wants to start a price guide based either on actual traffic or on chatting about prices, Wordpress is still free of charge.

#120 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

it was done for Unitrons not that long ago.  Thought it would be useful for other scopes also.  Right now the only reference point we got is word of mouth and everyone has a different opinion on what these scopes are worth.  Cannot see the harm in some guidelines being set.  Everytime someone here suggests some kind of order in our world it seems to come under heavy critisism.  I know I critisized the Unitron price giude.  So I guess it is my turn to feel the pain.

#121 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Instead of re-inventing the wheel, why don't you update the telescope blue book. It hasn't been updated in years and is an orphan. Perhaps it could be brought into CN, not in this forum but elsewhere. It would be a worthy site resource and a committee could be set up to update it. I nominate you as chair of that committee Johann.

http://www.telescopebluebook.com

Edited by terraclarke, 28 August 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#122 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

I find that the telescope blue book site is still fairly accurate and a useful reference. 

#123 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

However, a bit outdated.  I wish I could still buy classic cars at 2001 prices :p

#124 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Popcorn! I got your popcorn, right here! Who wants a bag of hot, buttered popcorn?

You folks are so entertaining!

I'd second the motion but as a vendor....

Edited by herrointment, 28 August 2014 - 07:14 PM.

• TCW likes this

#125 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

I hear you :flowerred:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics