Classic Telescope Pricing

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#201 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: VA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

I do not think anyone is trying to re invent the wheel.  Just trying to provide up to date information which is nowhere to be found.  Seems everything else that is collectable has up to date information on the worth of these items, should we not want the same information.  I know some of you do not care, but should that prevent anyone else from providing this information. 

#202 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Vanguard

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

Johann, as a computer guy, I don't have anything against data collection.  I think it's a worthy goal that will benefit a lot of folks.  But a large, long-term, serious effort deserves a lot of brain-storming and preparation before taking action.  Using Telescope Blue Book requires the least construction, but the site's owner may not be supportive.  Posting spreadsheets or databases on a public site like the Yahoo Groups is doable -- and already being done here --> https://groups.yahoo...elescopes/files

I think there are plenty of "appraisal experts" on CN already; and so do lots of Sellers, since they are starting to refer to the Forum in their ads.  Why not have our own dataset?  No arguments from me.

#203 turk123

turk123

Vanguard

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

I did send an email out to the webmaster at the "Bluebook" site to inquire what is it's current status.  The Website states "last updated 2007".   The owner probably has no longer any interest in updating it.  As some web creators do, he has left it up as a historical site.  I've done this myself with websites.   We probably will not get a response.

Edited by turk123, 03 September 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#204 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

I think the easiest way to approach this is to just provide and average price.  To do one that grades on condition would be just too much.  I guess we could simply provide a range and average price, but no too much detail.   People can take from it what they want.  I think the Unitron price list that Bary Simon provided did just that.  I beleive Barry also did a questionare asking people to provide their thoughts on what they thought the value should be.  Not sure if I want it to be that involved.  just want to keep it simple.

#205 starman876

starman876

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

I did send an email out to the webmaster at the "Bluebook" site to inquire what is it's current status.  The Website states "last updated 2007".   The owner probably has no longer any interest in updating it.  As some web creators do, he has left it up as a historical site.  I've done this myself with websites.   We probably will not get a response.

I was just getting ready to do that. Thanks Tom.

#206 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

I do not think anyone is trying to re invent the wheel.  Just trying to provide up to date information which is nowhere to be found.  Seems everything else that is collectable has up to date information on the worth of these items, should we not want the same information.  I know some of you do not care, but should that prevent anyone else from providing this information. 

By saying that perhaps it wasn't necessary to re-invent the wheel, I was not implying that the project was not worthy. I was merely providing a cautionary note to not throw the baby out with the bath water, and that if something in usable format already existed, that it might be easier to update it, rather than to begin back at square one.

Edited by terraclarke, 03 September 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#207 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

I also am not against this project. Just playing devil's advocate. 

#208 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

• Loc: Kingwood, TX

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

Blah, blah, blah...

I don't really have time, but to %$^& with it.  It's easy.  Too much talk and debate for something stupid-easy.  Here is a start including the recent scopes I bought.

I will keep up the spreadsheet and find a place to put in on the web.  It will be available for download by anyone, but only I will be able to maintain it.  If someone has the ability to keep an interactive file (user modified and saved, but will need regular back-up), knock yourself out.

Here are the rules:

For the time being, place all submissions here.  Once we get 20+ submissions I'll start a separate thread and ask the mods to pin it.

ALL submissions must use the following format:

Brand,Model,Year,Description (model name),Restored (Y/N),Condition,Complete (Y/N),MM/YY Sold,Selling Price,Missing Items/Included Accessories

You will note that there are NO spaces, only commas between the fields of each record.  This is VERY important as I will be copying the text and pasting to Excel and using the commas as delineators to put the data in the correct place.  Failure to comply with this will render a record useless.  If you are leaving a field blank you will need two commas so that the field is populated with a blank (example:  Celestron,C5,,OT... will leave the field "Year" blank, yet properly populat the Description).

Have a little patience with me getting this started.  I am closing the books for one of my business units this week (and next), working on building a house, working on the current house to get it on the market, and training for a marathon (for starters).  Once I get through this weekend, things should normalize somewhat.

If there are no submissions, so be it and I'll kill the project and stop posting in this thread.  If there are enough submissions, I'm sure we can get it pinned.

The nice thing about Excel is you can use this data in lots of ways.  You can filter it, sort it, create a pivot table to create advanced analysis, *^&%^, you can even graph it if you find some meaningful way to do so.

The Condition field I've left for interpretation.  I think we should be able to come up with a standard set of abbreviations though.  To keep it simple, I'd suggest:  M (mint), E (excellent), VG (very good), G (good), and R (rescue).  Yes, there can be a lot of room for interpretation, but we are not offering an appraisal service.  Use the data wisely.

Attached Files

• refasali and DocFinance like this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics