Demise of an Observatory... Death by HOA

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 Mark N

Mark N

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

I'm curious as to how many HOA committee members would be considered liberal and how many conservative.  Hmmmm.

#102 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

I'm curious as to how many HOA committee members would be considered liberal and how many conservative.  Hmmmm.

The mods are getting itchy delete fingers.  What belief system likes to micro manage everyone's lives and is offended by absolutely everything?

Edited by TCW, 11 August 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#103 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

The mods are getting itchy delete fingers.  What belief system likes to micro manage everyone's lives and is offended by absolutely everything?

An authoritarian one, of course.

• amicus sidera likes this

#104 JHGIII

JHGIII

Explorer 1

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I can fully understand your reservations about starting a fight with your neighbors. We had flat out crazy neighbors next door when growing up in the era before HOA's. They drove my dad to distraction with their antics (like paeking cars bumper to bumper in our back yard one 4th of july so people could walk to the fireworks at the nearby school. They were all about the dollar and never considered the first folks in might not have wante to be the last out... We returned to enraged drivers with blaring horns and screaming kids that went on for what seemed like hours. Arguing never made it better.

Have you perused this thread? http://www.cloudynig...lf-observatory/ An elegant stabe portable solutuion along the lines of roll-out suggested by gdd above.

Assuming the HOA wouldn't mind a few subtle marks on your driveway, or if you could adapt the scoring already present in the drive for alignment, it could be a possiblity. Not sure about the pitch of your driveway, but it looks like there is some slope. That may complicate things, or could be the final check to proper perpendicular positioning.

Either way, condolences and best of luck in finding a way to stay engaged.

#105 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Absolutely hilarious read.  First the author claims to be neither liberal or conservative and then goes on a rabid, bigoted rant against anyone that is not a leftist.

#106 glenncondie

glenncondie

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: W.B. Gregg Observatory,Canada

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time , dont let them force you out of your hobby,were theres a will theres a way !

#107 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Absolutely hilarious read.  First the author claims to be neither liberal or conservative and then goes on a rabid, bigoted rant against anyone that is not a leftist.

Yawn!

#108 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Individuality must be eliminated! Conform or else!

Perhaps the HOA's can enforce a rule that all the children bounce their balls in synchronization!

It looks like we are sliding into totalitarianism in seek of property values! :shocked:

We are sliding into totalitarianism, period; look around.

That so many citizens actually prefer living under the Sauron's eye of an HOA is highly signal, and their proliferation in an area is a useful indicator for purposes of avoidance.

#109 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

Individuality must be eliminated! Conform or else!

Perhaps the HOA's can enforce a rule that all the children bounce their balls in synchronization!

It looks like we are sliding into totalitarianism in seek of property values! :shocked:

We are sliding into totalitarianism, period; look around.

That so many citizens actually prefer living under the Sauron's eye of an HOA is highly signal, and their proliferation in an area is a useful indicator for purposes of avoidance.

There is a quote about those that would give up their freedom for security. They will get neither.

• sparkyht and amicus sidera like this

#110 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

(putting on my big, pointy moderator hat)

Okay guys, lets bring this back from the politically-silly side and back to the OP's original topic.

Thanks!

#111 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

To my mind, the idea of an observatory being a problem just sits wrong.  Sure, a POD in a bright color might be a concern for some, though I wouldn't care.  But, I would think an observatory, tastefully designed and coordinated with the house, should be a plus for a neighborhood.  I'd think it would be a classy thing.  After all, observatories were not rare on the estates of olde.  Yet, I have heard of people going all-out to the point of hiring an architect to fix it up right and still being denied.

Glen

• TCW likes this

#112 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:49 AM

I think if you're not into astronomy the idea of an observatory just baffles people.  Trying to make them "get it" just doesn't work because they're simply not interested.  A planned development with an HOA has uniformity and continuity built into its DNA.  I'm fortunate that my historic neighborhood simply asks that add-ons or structures continue the original design.

Perhaps a better approach would be to see what type of structures are permitted and build something that complies.  If a garden shed is permitted then build a garden shed.  That you choose to use it as an observatory is incidental.  Just fly under the radar.

• Calypte likes this

#113 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

Start up a petition to disband the HOA.......all you need is more than 50% of the homeowners signatures.....and I doubt you're the only one thats fed up with your HOA tactics.....and if that doesn't work...get together and take over from within....

Edited by csrlice12, 20 August 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#114 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

The O.P. made his decision long ago.  Suggestions about alternate approaches are moot.  But I'm not sure that disbanding an HOA is quite as easy as the previous post suggests.  My old HOA maintained areas of landscaping.  Others maintain amenities like swimming pools, spas, and meeting rooms.  Without an HOA, the homeowners will have to provide some mechanism to continue that.  Hmm, what would that be?  Oh, I know.  An HOA!

Edited by Calypte, 20 August 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#115 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

...and if there are no clubhouses, pools, landscaping, etc... to do, then they typically devolve into a group of power mad know-betters who can't wait to assert that authority......what color paint, wrong shrubbery (hey, its a plant...go give the plant a talking too), grass not green enough, grass is too green, no car washing in the driveway, no, no, no.......no thanks.....

Edited by csrlice12, 20 August 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#116 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

HOA boards seem to attract power mad despots at heart or the power and lack of accountability brings it out in people. There is nothing worse that a Mrs. Grundy going around with a tape measure and camera looking for the tiniest infraction.

Note to self - NEVER EVER live in a HOA development.

Some places it makes no difference b/c the HOA and the city/county tag team you.  Here outside HOU just about every development or community involves an HOA, and you get: 'no HOA', 'good commute' or 'good schools,' pick one.  It's even getting that way where I grew up in rural NC, VA and SC.  Affluence drives every ordinance except light pollution abatement.

#117 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: AR

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

I lived under a HOA for over 15 years.  I am so glad I sold last year and got out.   There were so many potential problems that could some day arise and probably cost every owner many hundreds, like repaving some of the (private) streets, etc.   The problem there was inaction and apathy.   I fear the neighborhood deteriorating.

I moved to the edge of a small town into an old established neighborhood on 12 acres and took the Exploradome with me.  Then I retired from work.  Unfortunately, I have now lost much of my interest in doing astronomy.   Maybe someday it will return.  Mowing lots of grass and my fishing and gardening hobbies now occupy much of my time.

#118 TimN

TimN

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

I like to show as many people as I can my equipment, my observatory and the images that I take. I find children are especially interested. Every so often, one has a gleam in their eye and I think we've caught him/her. Maybe a future amateur or even a professional - who knows what they may discover.

As a Canadian I don't pretend to understand HOA's or the politics that surround them. However, I do know that if the western world is to stay ahead in Science we need the next generation to be at least interested in Science. Amateurs and their observatories are located in neighborhoods across the country and can help to influence an interest in science and astronomy in particular. I'm surprised they aren't protected federally or at the state level the way that amateur radio operators (I'm one of those as well) have their antennas protected. I wonder if China forbids observatories in some of their neighborhoods?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics