•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASTROSCAN by Edmund Scientic Company

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 dchernikoff

dchernikoff

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Palo Alto, CA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

Resurrecting an old thread, here, just to say thank you to the author for setting up this "index".  I just bought a used Astroscan (it arrives tomorrow) as my reintroduction to stargazing.  Had an edmund 4 1/4 refractor (non richest field) when I was in high school, but never really got into the hobby.  Was always fascinated with the concept of a RFT, and I'm wondering now if I had started with this scope back then if I would have keep going with the hobby - I was too lazy to drag that bigger scope around (with the classic Edmunds cast iron stand) so never used it that much and lost interest.

Anyway, 40+ years later I finally bought my first Astroscan, and am looking forward to learning anew.

-Dan

• fjs likes this

#102 apfever

apfever

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

This just up, but I think the pricing is outrageous for broken or parts. This is an early one, I'd like to have a parts case for my early one (window sticker instead of plastic tab), but not at this rate. Your Mileage May Vary.

http://www.astromart...ified_id=889088

#103 GJJim

GJJim

Gemini

• Loc: East of Tucson, AZ

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

The first eyepieces (far left in your photo) were the venerable Kellners that Edmund had been selling for years. The center one with the knurling was indeed a true RKE, as it used Dr. Rank's prescription for the lens set; these started being shipped with Astroscans around the spring of 1977. The red-banded RKE's didn't appear until almost a year later in May of 1978, IIRC.

I have one of the Edmund eyepieces labeled 1-1/8, without the rubber ring, purchased ~1970. It is definitely not a Kellner, but consists of two cemented doublets, maybe a Plössl?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics