CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASTROSCAN by Edmund Scientic Company

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 dchernikoff

dchernikoff

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Palo Alto, CA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

Resurrecting an old thread, here, just to say thank you to the author for setting up this "index".  I just bought a used Astroscan (it arrives tomorrow) as my reintroduction to stargazing.  Had an edmund 4 1/4 refractor (non richest field) when I was in high school, but never really got into the hobby.  Was always fascinated with the concept of a RFT, and I'm wondering now if I had started with this scope back then if I would have keep going with the hobby - I was too lazy to drag that bigger scope around (with the classic Edmunds cast iron stand) so never used it that much and lost interest.

Anyway, 40+ years later I finally bought my first Astroscan, and am looking forward to learning anew.

-Dan

• fjs likes this

#102 apfever

apfever

Gemini

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:16 AM

This just up, but I think the pricing is outrageous for broken or parts. This is an early one, I'd like to have a parts case for my early one (window sticker instead of plastic tab), but not at this rate. Your Mileage May Vary.

http://www.astromart...ified_id=889088

#103 GJJim

GJJim

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Western CO

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:41 AM

The first eyepieces (far left in your photo) were the venerable Kellners that Edmund had been selling for years. The center one with the knurling was indeed a true RKE, as it used Dr. Rank's prescription for the lens set; these started being shipped with Astroscans around the spring of 1977. The red-banded RKE's didn't appear until almost a year later in May of 1978, IIRC.

I have one of the Edmund eyepieces labeled 1-1/8, without the rubber ring, purchased ~1970. It is definitely not a Kellner, but consists of two cemented doublets, maybe a Plössl?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics