Celestron StarSense with CGEM Mount

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

Is anyone using the StarSense on a CGEM mount? If so how is it working out? Does it function ok and work correctly?

Thanks for you advice.

#2 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:53 AM

works awesome, Kasey

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

StarSense owners: looking at the manual for the gadget, I see Celestron says that it included the polar alignment (AllStar) routine. I've heard StarSense owners say this is not the case. What it the straight poop?

#4 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

I see Celestron says that it included the polar alignment (AllStar) routine. I've heard StarSense owners say this is not the case.

Not sure Rod as I don't use ASPA, but the alignment and calibration works good with only casual pointing toward Polaris. I do have Alignmaster, but have not used it much either as the polar scope gets me close enough.

Regards,

Charlie B

#5 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

ASPA is currently broken. Thr rumors have it there will be fireworks and cake (sorry no free beer) when 8t is fixed. Alt/Az on wedge is also on the list to do. The remaining items are fixing database errors and improve pointing accuracy. After the latest improvement in planet pointing things look pretty good in the goto department.

#6 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

If you don't currently depend on ASPA I would say go ahead if you think you'd like the starsense. Please know you'll likely need to update the firmware. I use a polar scope for my polar alignment. There are other options of polar aligning if the options discussed here won't work for you.

#7 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

ASPA is currently broken. Goto is fine.

#8 gunfighter48

gunfighter48

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mill Creek, Washington

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

I think I'll hold off for a while and see if they get the problems with it fixed anytime soon.

#9 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

ASPA is broken, but I just use Alignmaster which works very well as workaround until they fix it in the StarSense Hand Control.

But who knows, I like Alignmaster and may just end up using that as a long term solution anyhow.

#10 Robert York

Robert York

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

I can't see Polaris, so I just line my mount up with marks on the pavement. I then use the StarSense to do an auto alignment. With guiding, I can get pretty round stars for 20min exposures, and no visible field rotation.

So basically, my polar alignment is 'wing it', but it works for AP. My guiding is pretty chaotic, which could be the mount trying to fight the misalignment, but I would have thought I would see field rotation for such a long exposure. So either my 'marks on the pavement' method is pretty good, or something else is going on.

I have used ASPA on it, but it's not quite working right, as others have said. One option is to use the original hand controller to polar align, then when that's done, swap controllers. But that kinda defeats the purpose.

There are some tools that use ASCOM available that will give you your polar alignment error so you can do a manual ASPA.

Celestron's got some cool toys... but they need a lot more polish.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics