Photo

Digging a trench from house to observatory site.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 TerryReeves

TerryReeves

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN, USA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Have you considered using metal conduit? It is quite a bit more expensive, but I believe that some types can meet code even for a shallow burial like 6 inches.

#27 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

I don't know if that is code but you might look into embedding the conduit in concrete as an alternative to 18" of cover. This is something you could discuss with your inspector.

#28 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

Tom,
Many rental places will deliver & pickup their equipment for a nominal fee. (I paid $25 for a terramite on a 3 day rental). Still cheaper than $1000. They aren't difficult to operate, learn at low speed, move one control at a time until you get the hang of them, then coordinate two, then start moving dirt. Start at one end & do about half the trench, then turn around & go the other direction. If you have to get a permit for your electrical hook up (likely), let the inspector see (& measure) the trench before it's backfilled.
I don't recommend the extension cord route, too easily overloaded, damaged, etc.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

#29 TCW

TCW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Tom,
Many rental places will deliver & pickup their equipment for a nominal fee. (I paid $25 for a terramite on a 3 day rental). Still cheaper than $1000. They aren't difficult to operate, learn at low speed, move one control at a time until you get the hang of them, then coordinate two, then start moving dirt. Start at one end & do about half the trench, then turn around & go the other direction. If you have to get a permit for your electrical hook up (likely), let the inspector see (& measure) the trench before it's backfilled.
I don't recommend the extension cord route, too easily overloaded, damaged, etc.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

If you have a choice on the control type then ask for the joy stick type rather than the 4 (or more) levers. I find them much easier to operate. If you have to operate near anything breakable like your house use extreme caution or hire a pro. A backhoe can ventilate your house really fast! :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics