Photo

Best tutorial to align Celestron AVX mount?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChicagoBill

ChicagoBill

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

I just ordered a Celestron 8" SCT with AVX. Having seen many posts on alignment problems I wanted to review the best tutorials (articles, videos, web pages, etc.) on how to properly align an AVX (or similar) before the scope arrives.

I'm looking for something designed for the first time EQ mount user with little telescope experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 cray2mpx

cray2mpx

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vienna, Austria

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

this one is for a CGEM but the procedure should be virtually identical for the AVX:

http://youtu.be/coXGvcgHOMA

clear skies,

Cray

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Don't know if there is one. But it's pretty simple.

1. Set up the scope/mount. Don't worry about leveling. By eye so the thing doesn't tump over is good enough.

2. For visual use, all the polar alignment you need is to center Polaris in the hollow bore of the RA axis (turn the scope perpendicular to the mount to open up the hole in the dec axis to look through).

3. Enter date, time, location, etc. in the HC. You don't need GPS. Your watch and the coordinates of the nearest town are good enough.

4. Choose two star alignment. Center the first two stars. A zero power finder like a Telrad or a Rigel Quickfinder is a big help. Use a medium power crosshair eyepiece for centering in the main scope. BE SURE you are centering the correct ones. "Almost" don't get it. Do final centering with the up and right keys only (you can use down and left to position the star so you can use up and right for final centering).

5. When the HC asks if you want to add calibration stars, say "yep." Keep adding them till one is in the eyepiece or at least in the center of the finder when the slew stops. Center as above. Usually three is all you need.

6. Enjoy.

;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics