• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I notice that Celestron sells the CPC1100 tripod as a separate item. I believe this is the same tripod that is part of the CGEM DX mount system. Why does Celestron sell the tripod as a separate item; what do you do with it? If you have an existing CPC1100 tripod as part of a CPC system telescope, is it possible to buy just the CGEM mount as a separate item and fasten it to the existing CPC tripod?

I see in my future that the 65 pound weight of the CPC1100 OTA and fork system will get too heavy for me and I might want to remount the OTA on a CGEM mount and reuse the tripod if possible.

Arizona Ken

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

I notice that Celestron sells the CPC1100 tripod as a separate item. I believe this is the same tripod that is part of the CGEM DX mount system.

No, the CGEM DX tripod is the same tripod sold with the CGE Pro. It is MUCH larger and heavier than the tripod for the CPC1100. As to why they sell the CPC1100 tripod? That's anyone's guess. :grin:

#3 brokenwave

brokenwave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Don't know about the CPC series of tripods, but a CGE Pro tripod is the same as a CGEM DX and Celestron will sell you the adapter plate for $80 to mount a CGEM to a DX or CGE mount tripod, (it weigh's 35-40lb's just guessing) And it is
rock solid especially with the leg spreader Y assy.
Ken I will send you a PM with a pic of the top of the DX/CGE tripod when I get back from vacation.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

When the CPC was released (to replace the NexStar GPS series) folks noticed that the new CPC tripod was a nice upgrade for the NexStar. Then Celestron released the tripod as a separate product.

I know a few SE owners have also used the CPC tripod but I don't think that was much of a market. IMHO the older and slightly smaller black NexStar tipod makes more sense under an SE scope. All these tripods have the same 3 bolt pattern to mount the various Celestron scopes (and in some cases wedges too) on them.

There may have been other reasons for Celestron to sell the CPC tripod separately but those are the popular uses of it.

#5 brokenwave

brokenwave

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Ken, it sounds like the CPC tripod uses the 3 bolt pattern for attaching the mount head, like the Nexstar series, so you would need to get an adapter plate made to use it with a CGEM.

#6 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I deforked my CPC 9.25 to a CGEM... I had asked about an adaptor as well to be able to use CPC tri-pod with CGEM Head.. Could find no one that had heard of an adaptor or anything,,, soooooo have a CPC tri-pod & Celestron HD wedge collecting dust LOL, Kasey

#7 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

Thanks guys for the replies ... brokenwave, the picture you can send me will be appreciated.

Arizona Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics