• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

• Loc: Redmond, WA, USA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for a cover that will comfortably fit over my scope (10" LX200 OTA sitting atop an iOptron CEM60 equatorial mount), so that I can leave the rig out in my yard for days/weeks at a time.

It must be reliably able to protect the scope and mount from rain, sprinklers, wind, lawn mowers, etc. I live near Seattle, so it does rain from time to time, although I probably would not leave it out during a time when it is expected to rain for days/weeks/months at a time (don't laugh; it does). I would like it if it would extend well down the tripod, so that things are less likely to blow up the skirt into the mount/scope (I can bungee it to the top of the tripod, but several feet of additional coverage for the top of the tripod would be welcome insurance).

I see that the TeleGizmos 365 has received favorable reviews here. Is this still well thought of? Are there better alternatives?

Thanks.

Mark

#2 TCW

TCW

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in a galaxy far, far away.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Check this out.

http://www.pierplates.com/motel.html
  • BinoGuy likes this

#3 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

Telegizmos 365 is the best in my opinion. I am confident enough in it to cover my AP 175 and 900GTO and leave it outside for several days at a time.

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

I combine a Telegizmo Tripod cover with the scope cover and then the entire rig is protected. (BTW, that is an Orion Scope cover, similar to the telegizmo but not designed for total protection from the rain)

Attached Files

#5 mdowns

mdowns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Englewood,FL

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Seems like this topic comes up every other day.I absolutely love my telegizmo 365. Its been flawless for me for very close to three years here in very wet,very humid,very sunny sw florida. I have left my g11 outside since day one and the c11 may stay on it outside for 6 months at a time or more(coming off for the 6" rfr) protected by the 365.Never have had a problem. I cant recommend the 365 enough for those of us who might have phsyical restrictions(age,health concerns,etc.) that wont allow the movement of semi heavy equipment.

#6 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

The Telegizmo 365 is a first class piece of gear. Just make sure and throw a bath towel of the top of the OTA to keep sharp bits from tearing through the inner layer.

#7 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

Telegizmo 365 here. I keep mine in an observatory but during the winter, also keep the cover on.

#8 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Seems like this topic comes up every other day.I absolutely love my telegizmo 365. Its been flawless for me for very close to three years here in very wet,very humid,very sunny sw florida. I have left my g11 outside since day one and the c11 may stay on it outside for 6 months at a time or more(coming off for the 6" rfr) protected by the 365.Never have had a problem. I cant recommend the 365 enough for those of us who might have phsyical restrictions(age,health concerns,etc.) that wont allow the movement of semi heavy equipment.

+1

My Cpc11 has been sitting outside now for nearly a year, rain...wind...snow...heat...bitter cold... Works great! I have a Telegizmo solar cover for 18" dob,,put that on first,,covers all the way down to tripod feet, then put on 365 cover which covers down to fork base... Love it!

Al

#9 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

Wow, this is a pretty unanimous report!

#10 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Another vote for the Telegizmos 365. Still, even though I suspect that a cover this durable would provide great protection, I admit that I'm too chicken to fully test it out by leaving my precious gear outside in the rain or snow! :ubetcha:

#11 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Telegizmo 365, no qualms here.

Attached Files

#12 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

I also have a telegizmos cover. I don't recall if it is a 365. I don't leave it outside for more than a few days at a time but it is probably 10 years old and shows no signs of wear.

#13 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks!  I have ordered a Telegizmo 365 for the scope and one for the tripod.

#14 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

I use the standard Telegizmo cover when camping.  It's lightweight, reflective and reduces the under-cover temperature by about 15 degrees.  I don't leave my equipment out when home (I have a dedicated 10'x12' astro-shed.

- Jim

#15 APshooter

APshooter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

I got the Telegizmos 365 and it has stood up to rain and lashing storms this year.  Only my mount and encoders stay outside, however.  Even so, even after a storm everything underneath is bone dry.

#16 alrosm

alrosm

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:37 PM

telegizmos 365 , no problem 

#17 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

So what do y'all TG 365 users use to soak up residual moisture when putting the cover on?

Throwing a cover over dewy gear will just ensure that you are trapping moisture, and eventually mold.

Suggesting just a cover is an incomplete solution, don't ya think?

Edited by hottr6, 08 August 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#18 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

So what do y'all TG 365 users use to soak up residual moisture when putting the cover on?

Throwing a cover over dewy gear will just ensure that you are trapping moisture, and eventually mold.

Speaking only for myself, I don't agree.  It's not waterproof, and there's no way to get rid of moisture in the middle of a damp night.  Leaving space for breathing is fine, I think (and my experience shows).

#19 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

Under my TG 365 cover is also a remote temp/humidity sensor.  When the humidity is high I do something to dry it out.  Often, the morning Sun does an excellent job of drying things out even with the cover on.  A light or Dri-rod will do it if needed if the next day is wet or simply removing the cover if the day is dry.  Ya can't just throw a cover on and forget about it.

#20 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

Ya can't just throw a cover on and forget about it.

Exactly! But you wouldn't know that from the first 15 responses to the (Seattle-based) OP.

Edited by hottr6, 09 August 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#21 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Shane, I think you can do exactly what the OP is asking for and not have to worry about the scope.  I do it all the time here in the humid south.  I set up the big refractor when I have a string of days with favorable observing weather and each night I put the 365 cover over the entire set up and leave it for the next observing session.  There is often dew on the OTA (but none on the optics) and mount when I cover it. The OP stated he wouldn't be leaving it out if there were several days of rain coming and I took that to mean this wasn't a permanent set up.

The 365 cover will keep moisture such as rain off the scope but it will dry out during the day provided there is a bit of sun, a fact that Al, who keeps a humidity sensor on his equipment, agrees with.

The only caveat I would add is that I am assuming (you know how that goes) that the OP is practicing good dew control on the optics. If he isn't, it does't matter if the scope is covered or not, eventually that will cause a problem.

#22 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

Shane, I think you can do exactly what the OP is asking for and not have to worry about the scope.  I do it all the time here in the humid south.  I set up the big refractor when I have a string of days with favorable observing weather and each night I put the 365 cover over the entire set up and leave it for the next observing session.  There is often dew on the OTA (but none on the optics) and mount when I cover it. The OP stated he wouldn't be leaving it out if there were several days of rain coming and I took that to mean this wasn't a permanent set up.

The 365 cover will keep moisture such as rain off the scope but it will dry out during the day provided there is a bit of sun, a fact that Al, who keeps a humidity sensor on his equipment, agrees with.

The only caveat I would add is that I am assuming (you know how that goes) that the OP is practicing good dew control on the optics. If he isn't, it does't matter if the scope is covered or not, eventually that will cause a problem.

Correct.  This is to allow me to leave it out during stretches of good weather, and feel confident that sprinklers/rain/sun won't hurt it.  The scope will be used regularly, so I don't feel a need to baby it while it's covered.

I don't know what you mean by "practicing good dew control."  To the extent that I have to put it away wet, I would always dry it out the next day.

#23 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Good dew control on the optics means that you should never allow dew to accumulate on your optics.  Specifically in your case, the corrector on your Meade. 

Dew will occur on the outside of the scope, on the OTA and on the mount, nothing you can do about that.  It won't (or I should say shouldn't) hurt a telescope and mount to have moisture accumulate on non optical surfaces.

#24 WebFoot

WebFoot

Viking 1

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

To close the loop, I bought the Telegizmos 365 cover for the scope and the tripod.  They really are first-rate!

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics