• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 S.D.Lights

S.D.Lights

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

I could not imagine hauling your equipment in and out each day. Hope to get some bone cement pumped into it soon so it will heal. This is my first scope but got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. My wifes first question when I begged for the money was how much does it way. I did not think it would be that heavy. Low back and neck already fused so need to come up with something. I will probably copy you a bit :-) Do you have a deck in there?

#27 Perseus_m45

Perseus_m45

Ranger 4

• Loc: pittsburgh area

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

I love it Mike! And the rooster is a great addition. A natural alarm to tell you when the night is thru. I also have an 'open air' observatory in the back yard. Just not as complete. I gotta get a chicken! ;)

A rooster is not an alarm clock. It is a real PITA. They do NOT just crow when the sun comes up, they crow when the moon comes up, they crow when they wake up, they crow when the sun sets, they crow at any time, night and day, whenever they seem to feel the need. They deserve to live a long, long ways away from anyone who dislikes their incessant noise. Hens are just fine.

Oh yes crowing 24/7/365 this is a fact.

#28 Perseus_m45

Perseus_m45

Ranger 4

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

I could not imagine hauling your equipment in and out each day. Hope to get some bone cement pumped into it soon so it will heal. This is my first scope but got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. My wifes first question when I begged for the money was how much does it way. I did not think it would be that heavy. Low back and neck already fused so need to come up with something. I will probably copy you a bit :-) Do you have a deck in there?

No deck inside but i will post some pics so you can see how i started it..I had to have my lower back fused with alot of titanium hardware I do understand.First came the r/r ties that i coated with rubberized bed liner so they won't start smelling in the heat.I made 2 foot long spikes out of rebar to lock everything together.then i drilled out the holes for the concrete pier mounts.Then poured the concrete and set in the Bolts for the piers. Let harden a few days.Then came the stone as fill.Then on top of that 1 foot by 1 foot paving stones and abit more concrete to fill in any gaps.
mike h

#29 Perseus_m45

Perseus_m45

Ranger 4

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

b

Attached Files

#30 Perseus_m45

Perseus_m45

Ranger 4

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

bb

Attached Files

#31 Perseus_m45

Perseus_m45

Ranger 4

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

The Floor came out perfect..and now i have those rubberized floor mats down inside.

Attached Files

#32 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

If that were a "Real" redneck scene, the truck would be on blocks.

Alex

#33 seawolfe

seawolfe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:10 AM

I love it Mike! And the rooster is a great addition. A natural alarm to tell you when the night is thru. I also have an 'open air' observatory in the back yard. Just not as complete. I gotta get a chicken! ;)

A rooster is not an alarm clock. It is a real PITA. They do NOT just crow when the sun comes up, they crow when the moon comes up, they crow when they wake up, they crow when the sun sets, they crow at any time, night and day, whenever they seem to feel the need. They deserve to live a long, long ways away from anyone who dislikes their incessant noise. Hens are just fine.

Chickens do that too. I remember when I was a teen, my brother had to have some Rhode Island Reds, so we got some chicks and raised them. There was one hen that decided she was going to be top chicken and crowed better than the rooster. But she crowed night and day until my mom got tired of it and we had the chicken for dinner. :roflmao:

#34 Perseus_m45

Perseus_m45

Ranger 4

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

i have seen that before with all hens tho..one becomes the rooster.

#35 Perseus_m45

Perseus_m45

Ranger 4

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Hey guys built this 4 years ago. never a problem..
mike h

I like your roll-off roof. Here is my version:

Don't you guys have grass where you live? Looks really dry there.
mike h

#36 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Nice. I build this 13 years ago and it keeps out the bears.

Here is the reason for my "bear cage" observatory.  This morning one did a number on our garbage can.  Observing with them make one nervous.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Bear.jpg   67.79KB   0 downloads

Edited by Jeff B1, 15 August 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#37 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

We live in a nature reserve area and the powers that be bring in bears from time to time to roam about and entertain us.  The only restrictions is that people should not feed them or shoot them, unless of course there comes a need to.  Generally we never leave garbage out for longer than necessary but late this morning I took it out an hour before the guys came by to pick it up; it's Friday and they like to get the job done early.  This time the bear got there first.  Stuff happens.  We see black bears around her all the time and they usually leave us along like we leave them alone.  Occasionally one will take exception to us or visa versa, so we deal with it.  The last "bear proof" garbage can I had ended up in the woods with 4-inch canine teeth holes in it.  That means a huge black bear that does wherever it wants to do with "bear proof" cans.  This one looks to be 4 or 5 years old, weight 250-275 lbs.

Attached Files

#38 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

One nice thing about this cage, "dog fennel," is that tarps or other light and wind shields can be easily hung from the fence wires.  There may be a way to attach a roof to the cage, but I chose to hang large tarps to cover the telescope.  It is also nice to lean up against when observing with a long telescope such as is in this cage or steady oneself to the top rails while standing on a ladder.  Not sure if it would actually keep a black bear out, but it would slow it down long enough for me to escape into the house :) 

At one time there was a platform in it so to stand on and observe.  My neighbor is handicapped and it seemed easier for him to use the platform than the ladder but that didn't work out, so he bought himself a smaller telescope so to sit in a wheelchair and observe.  Also, the fence material is great for vines to grow on :) 

#39 Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald

Ranger 4

• Loc: Circling the Black Hole

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

i have seen that before with all hens tho..one becomes the rooster.

Uh, don't you mean "roaster"? :p

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics