Classic observations

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 photiost

photiost

Viking 1

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

It is. It was a gift from an old friend, who passed away some years ago. I will never sell it, but in due time,
I will pass it on to a worthy young amateur, like I was when it was passed on to me.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Thats the way to do it ! :cool:

#27 AllanDystrup

AllanDystrup

Ranger 4

• Loc: Denmark

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hi Alexander,

I often visit your website, for inspiration and education.
As we seem to have the same taste for observing equipment and conditions,
I always find a lot of useful tips & tricks in your writings, drawings and photos.

Thanks for sharing,
Allan

#28 combatdad

combatdad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Culpeper, VA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Had a crowd waiting to view Saturn through my 4" f/15 Unitron last evening as part of the monthly Astronomy Program here in Culpeper, VA...

Dave

Attached Files

#29 combatdad

combatdad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Last month I used my Brandon 94 for the program observing session...

Dave

Attached Files

#30 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

We haven't done much in the past couple months for outreach due to weather. Brought out one of my scopes everytime this year. 4" F15 Jaegers, 6" F10 Jaegers and 5.5" Maksutov. Everyone loves the view through these. The 4" F15 is so great even in so so seeing. The refractors are undermounted, but I will have a substantial home built mount finished soon.

#31 Sasa

Sasa

Viking 1

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

Bremms, Dave, nice to hear and see the old ones get so much of attention.

I was showing the sky to my family in Telementor two weeks ago. Saturn, few doubles and few bright Messier objects to demonstrate different types of objects in the universe (M13, M11, M57, M17, M27, M31). I added Veil nebula as an example of SNR. I had just two eyepieces, 53mm Plossl (16x) and 10mm ortho (84x).

Telementor was providing very nice views (partly because of much better sky in the place where my relatives lives). My (older) nephew started to me to described numerous stars he was seeing in the outer parts of M13 at 84x even before I told him what is the object he was looking at. I should have been alerted already by this.

But imagine my surprise, when he started to talk about nearby star close to the ring of M57. This was just after few seconds of peek. After few questions of mine about distance and position, it was clear that he could see 13.0 magnitude star just east of the ring. I could not see it that night at all, with all my experience (I saw it in Telementor only once after quite some effort...), he was seeing it on the first glance and even noticing it before he knew it was there. I wish I have his eyes!

BTW, the most tough object of that evening, the eastern part of Veil nebula, was visible also for the nephew's young daughter. Small refractors are definitely no slouches and they can provide nice views even folks not touched by astronomy.

#32 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Conditions were pretty poor today but have been far worse this past week. I did manage to set up the little 60mm x 700mm Mayflower with the Thousand Oaks Optical inconel filter for a few minutes this afternoon in order to peek at the sun. Some nice sun spot activity again.

Attached Files

#33 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

There's astronomy in Culpeper?! :shocked:
Who knew?

#34 combatdad

combatdad

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

There's astronomy in Culpeper?! :shocked:
Who knew?

Yes...and a little farther SW in Reva, VA we have the "Morning Calm" Observatory with a 30" Obsession! :)

Dave

#35 fjs

fjs

Apollo

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thank you for that report, Sasa. It had to be a wonderful experience.

#36 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Nice! My Skylight 101.15 will be making an appearance at my club's event Saturday night!

#37 Sasa

Sasa

Viking 1

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

And here is a sketch of M13 which I made couple of days ago from my small town backyard (LM~4.5-5.0) using Telementor:

http://www-hep2.fzu....ic/orig/m13.jpg
  • AllanDystrup likes this

#38 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

That is a *very* nice M13 sketch!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#39 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

For me it's a no brainer--La Luna and the planets. As everyone knows--these classic scopes could not be better suited for lunar use.

I usually set up at least two: the 60mm I'll keep nice and wide. The 3" will be used for close up work. Sometimes it will be joined by the C102 dressed in its Polaris mount, for that extra special something you get with a 4". But I've been pretty happy with the Unitron 3" this week, and I'm not missing the C102.

I've also had one of my Tasco 7TEs set up for sun spot viewing via the reflecting screen. That was really fun, and I need to do more of it. I'd love to dedicate one of the 60mm as a wedge scope, but first I need to buy a wedge. :-)

#40 semiosteve

semiosteve

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NEOhio

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

So last night I used my Tasco 10TE on the moon. Even though I had the wonderful AP180mm out as well, I still enjoyed using the Tasco. Just for kicks I compared lunar views.

I used Brandons with the AP (12mm and 8mm mostly). I used old Polarex EP's with Tasco, mostly K12 and Ortho 6 although also R25.

Cracks on Gassendi superb in AP 180 - not visible in Tasco

Hippalus rilles typical "claw marks" effect in AP 180 ; could definitely see them in Tasco but less pronounced

For some reason though the view of the moon in the Tasco with the R25 is still breathtaking. My wife was just as impressed as with the larger refractor.

All in all, I am enjoying the newest addition to my little family of scopes.

Steve

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics