Photo

AMD processors and USB cams - misconceptions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hi,

From time to time, I'll see a comment in a post about such-and-such cam doesn't work with AMD processors.

Personally, I'm very, very skeptical of such remarks - the processor is isolated from the cam by the USB bus and its associated circuitry - and even if it was more intimately involved - I still don't understand why AMD vs Intel vs x64 emulation should make any difference.

Can somebody perhaps explain to me (framed as a coherent, logical argument, maybe with an example or two) why a a USB cam should have issues with an AMD processor? I see these anecdotes frequently enough to figure there must be SOME substance to such stories....

Cheers,

Grant

#2 Noisykids

Noisykids

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

i don't know the technical explanation but i can verify that celestron's neximage camera, two of them, doesn't work with an amd chip. and i am not sure i want to spend the whipout on an awo because it apparently won't reach maximum frame rate with an amd processor and that came right from the guy who makes them in an email. it's a drag. i'd have to buy a new laptop to take advantage of this situation and i don't think that's happening anytime soon.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Grant,

I don't have a definitive understanding of what's going on but I've been told a few times that the issue isn't the camera hardware, it's the device drivers. Some of the newer drivers for Win7/8 have been written in a new way (compared to the drivers written for 32bit XP) that also has problems on some AMD cpus.

#4 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

You can easily perform your own experiment. Buy an HP/AMD laptop for $450. Then buy a ZWO ASI120 mono camera for $350. Then you can spend hours trying to figure out why you can't get a stable image in Firecapture. Then you will plug the camera into your wife's Intel desktop where it will instantly work with no issues whatsoever. Then you can drive to OPT and stand around with all the sales guys trying to figure out why you can't get a stable image on your HP. Then you can get on the ZWO support forum where you will be told by the owner of the company that the ASI120 will not work with AMD chips. If you are lucky you can sell your brand new HP/AMD laptop to your brother in law so he can use it for his plumbing company. Then you'll go back to Costco and buy an Intel based laptop, plug in your ASI 120, and live life happily ever after. But, unless you are willing to pony up the initial $800, continue to wallow in skepticism.

#5 Noisykids

Noisykids

Viking 1

• Loc: ma

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

charlesw----- what a perfect summation of the situation. i bought 2 neximage cameras and had nothing but frustration. thanks be that the places i bought them from had no issue with a return.

#6 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Apart from ZWO cameras are there any other known Astro products that are temperamental with AMD processors?

Al

#7 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

From time to time, I'll see a comment in a post about such-and-such cam doesn't work with AMD processors.

Personally, I'm very, very skeptical of such remarks

Your skepticism is pointing you down the correct path.
I have a NexImage 5 that does not work with my Intel XP machine but DOES work with my AMD Vista machine. There is more to it than brand of CPU.

#8 bluesteel

bluesteel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

The problem is not in the processor, but in the implementation of the motherboard that the processor resides in, and how the buses were set up by the manufacturer. I am willing to bet everyone that has had problems with USB cams and AMD processors are using them on laptops, and not desktops.

Let's not forget who reverse engineered who's instruction sets for 64 bit processing:
http://www.extremete...ngineered-amd64

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics